Author Topic: Pew: Only 27% of Americans Believe There is Consensus That Human Activity Causes Climate Change  (Read 587 times)

rangerrebew

Pew: Only 27% of Americans Believe There is Consensus That Human Activity Causes Climate Change

(CNSNews.com) – A recent survey [1] by the non-partisan Pew Research Center [2] found that a large majority of Americans are skeptical about the prevailing scientific understanding of climate change, with only 27 percent saying they believe there is a consensus that human activity is its main cause.

That belief is at odds with the scientific community, Pew noted, citing a 2013 report [3]from the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change [4] that concluded “with 95% certainty that human activity is the dominant cause of observed warming since the mid-20th century.”

Source URL: http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/matthew-hrozencik/pew-only-27-americans-believe-human-activity-causes-climate-change

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Citing the IPCC as representing the "scientific community" is clear evidence of bias at Pew.  Non-partisan?  Pew has at least leaned to the left ever since its founding.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline MajorClay

So much for 'consensus'

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I think that 27% number is VERY inflated!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

rangerrebew

Citing the IPCC as representing the "scientific community" is clear evidence of bias at Pew.  Non-partisan?  Pew has at least leaned to the left ever since its founding.

That's why they named it pew! :headbang:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I believe humans are affecting the climate.

There are 6 billion humans, the idea that we aren't affecting the climate is pretty silly IMO.

That being said, the converse, that we are definitely causing warming and it is definitely harmful, I find to be not clear cut. I don't see rising oceans, I don't see more wild weather, I don't see any other of the thousands of negative affects that they claim is happening. I'm very skeptical of the claim that the science isn't hopelessly corrupted by politics.

I'm also not entirely sure there has been warming in my lifetime. I seem to recall a lot of snowless winters in the 80's (when I grew up).