Author Topic: Never Trump Nevermore: The Never Trump movement is over, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to stop criticizing Trump when he deserves it.  (Read 1716 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
By Jonah Goldberg
http://www.nationalreview.com/g-file/443133/never-trump-finished-russia-election-hacking-criticism

Dear Reader (

including those of you who are struggling to muster the requisite Yuletide mirth),

On Wednesday, I went to National Review HQ in New York for the first time in years. Whenever I enter the building, what with
all the lasers and retina scanners and pressure-sensitive floors, the music from Get Smart plays in my head. If you don’t know
what Get Smart is/was then you probably aren’t a middle-aged dude who watched too much TV after school (“In other words,
‘Your base’” — The Couch).

Anyway, it was good to see so many folks from the old days as well as the young’ns populating the place. Several of the Buckley
Fellows looked like someone granted George Will his wish to be 15 years old again. I finally met Mark Antonio Wright, the
young man who retrieves this “news”letter from the pneumatic tube like a hungry homeless guy with an untwisted wire hanger
trying to get a wet, discarded raisin bagel out of the storm drain.

“Ugh, those aren’t raisins.”

Still, while it was good to see Cooke, French, Williamson, and even that ol’ debil Lowry, I really wanted the trip to be more like
Alec Baldwin’s pep-talk in Glengarry Glen Ross. “The writer with the most unique visitors gets the good story assignments. The
writer with the second most, gets a set of steak knives . . . where are you going, Ms. Timpf?”

“I’m getting more wine!”

“Wine is for closers only.”

NEVER TRUMP NEVERMORE

Speaking of Cooke and French, they should do a podcast together called “French Cooke.” Also, speaking of those guys, they’ve
done most of the heavy lifting on this notion that the Never Trump conservatives have “surrendered” to Trump. But I would like
to throw in my two or three cents, as I get grief from the Left and the Right everyday about this stuff. From the Left, I’m told
that if I don’t crap out my spleen in panic every 20 minutes begging the Electoral College to “stop Trump” (by asking the House
of Representatives to elect Trump), it means I have surrendered entirely and that I was never really “never Trump” in the first
place.

This is nonsense. Liberals love to play this game where they define conservative principles for conservatives and then say that
if you don’t adhere to them as liberals want, you’re a hypocrite. This was the essence of about 65 percent of Michael Kinsley’s
“If conservatives were serious . . . ” punditry.

From the Right, any time I say anything — and I mean anything — critical of Trump, I’m told it’s proof that I’m “bitter” or “biased”
and that I can’t admit I was wrong about him, etc. I can go on TV and say that Trump has been brilliant at x and y but I’m still
concerned about z, and all I’ll hear is the whistle of incoming ALL CAPS arrows: GET OVER IT! HE WON! GO AWAY NEVER
TRUMPERS! HOW DO I TURN OFF CAPLOCK!!!111! Etc.

The thing is: Never Trump is over. Never Trump was about the GOP primary and the general election, not the presidency. The Left
wants to claim it must be a permanent movement, denying the legitimacy of Trump’s election forever, or we were never serious.
Well, that’s not what we — or at least I — signed up for.

But you know what is alive and well? Always Trump. These are the folks who think Trump must be defended and celebrated no
matter what he does or says. In fairness, some of these people are still auditioning for jobs in the administration and know they
must follow the rhetorical principle of “not one step backward.” But others are just normal Americans who love Trump and think
that I’m somehow duty-bound to say I love him too, no matter what he does. Well, I didn’t sign up for that either.

Whenever I say this, someone shrieks at me about my “arrogance” or “hubris” — for reasons I truly cannot fathom. But I’ll say it
again: I’m going to call ’em like I see ’em and wait and see if I was wrong about Trump. So far, I’ve said that most of his cabinet
picks have been a pleasant and welcome surprise. But he’s also done plenty of things that make me feel like I had him pegged
all along. We only have one president at a time — and the guy isn’t even president yet. I’ll give him a chance. But I won’t lie for
him either.

FOR RUSSIA, WITH LOVE

So, the other week a friend of mine — another columnist type — pointed something out to me. There are already plenty of opportunities
to say “I told you so” about Trump, the problem is people don’t care. I’ve been writing for over a year about how conservatism is
getting corrupted by populism and nationalism
, but when everybody is a populist nationalist who do I get to say “I told you so”
to?

As Charlie Sykes notes today, all of the “it’s a binary choice!” talk during the election forced Republicans not just to forgive Trump’s
personal shortcomings and ideological deviations, but to embrace them. The hope was that after November 8, the same logic that
forced people to embrace the lesser of two evils would also force them to recognize that the lesser of two evils is not great. That hasn’t
happened. Instead, we get Mike Pence throwing shade at the free market and the supposed defenders of conservative orthodoxy
defending industrial policy.

And now it’s Russia. Support for Putin among Republicans has grown by more than threefold since 2014. I wonder why? Do you think
37 percent of Republicans have studied the geopolitical situation closely and decided that Putin really isn’t such a bad sort? Is Russia
Today, the Kremlin-funded cable-TV channel, really that persuasive?

Frankly, I resent the fact that I even feel the need to explain how Putin is a bad guy, doing bad things, so I’m just going to skip that
part and assert it. What’s particularly galling, though, is to listen to the Always Trump pundits spin themselves into a Gordian knot trying
to defend Trump’s bromantic putinphilia. Here’s a typical defense I’ve heard from many Always Trump pundits (that I’ll keep nameless,
as I may see them at Fox’s Christmas party soon).

It usually starts with the charge of hypocrisy:

“First of all, wasn’t it President Obama who mocked Mitt Romney for calling Russia our No. 1 geopolitical foe?”

This is a fair, clean shot. Obama did beclown himself with his sick burn of Romney. And so did his defenders. But they can at least argue
that events changed and so did their opinions. In other words, Obama & Co. are not necessarily hypocrites when they denounce Russia
now, they’re merely implicitly conceding they were naïve partisan asses when they thought Russia was the bees knees for so long.

But then, often in the same breath, the Always Trumper pivots, saying there’s no evidence Russia did anything wrong and there’s nothing
amiss whatsoever with Trump’s fondness for Putin.

Waitaminute.

Which is it? Were Obama & Co. wrong for mocking Romney or was Romney wrong for calling out Russia?

Trump and Romney fundamentally disagree about Russia. Using 2012 Romney to beat up 2016 Obama is fine, but it’s not a killer argument
to do that while implicitly agreeing with 2012 Obama.

THE PERILS OF WHATABOUTISM

Since it’s so close to
Festivus, I will continue to air personal grievances. There has been a riot of whataboutism these days.

I suppose I should back up and explain what “whataboutism” is.

In layman’s terms, whataboutism is the practice of deflecting a criticism of you or your side by pointing to the flaws of the critic and his or
her side.

Apparently, American Cold Warriors coined the term to describe the favorite propaganda techniques of the Soviet Union. As The Economist
magazine
put it in 2008, “Any criticism of the Soviet Union (Afghanistan, martial law in Poland, imprisonment of dissidents, censorship)
was met with a ‘What about . . . ’ (apartheid South Africa, jailed trade-unionists, the Contras in Nicaragua, and so forth).”

We saw a poignant resurgence in this classical form of whataboutism in the wake of the long overdue demise of Cuban dictator Fidel Castro.
“You think Cuba is bad on human rights, what about America, where [fill-in-the-blank with left-wing clichés about how terrible America is].”

But while the term “whataboutism” is of a relatively recent vintage, the practice itself is ancient and formally goes by the technical term “tu
quoque
,” meaning in Latin, “you also.” It’s one of the more famous logical fallacies (a derivative of the appeal to hypocrisy), and it works like
this: Your doctor tells you that you need to lose some weight or you’ll have heart attack. You respond, “Oh yeah, doc, you’re not exactly a
runway model either.”

Now it may be true that your doctor is just as fat as you. But that has no bearing on the legitimacy of the diagnosis. If I say you’re a slob,
you might respond, “You have no right to judge” given my own messy habits. Whatever you may think of the right to judge per se (personally,
I think it keeps much of civilization afloat), that doesn’t change the underlying facts. My penchant for gluttony doesn’t make me wrong when
I say you’re a glutton, even if it might make me a hypocrite. As the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy puts it, “The value of advice is not
wholly dependent on the integrity of the advisor.”

So, you can see how whataboutism is closely related to the vacuous and ubiquitous catchphrase “you have no right to judge.” But, regardless,
as a way to change the subject, distract the audience, and generally muddy-up important distinctions and facts, whataboutism is invaluable.
It’s a way of making a moral-equivalence argument while sounding like you’re making high-minded moral distinctions.

And I should say, Trump does it all the time. When Joe Scarborough pointed out to him that Putin murders dissidents and journalists, Trump
responded, “Well, I think our country does a lot of killing too, Joe.” Last summer, when the New York Times asked Trump what he thought of
the brutal crackdown in Turkey that led to over 50,000 people thrown in jail, he responded. “I think right now when it comes to civil liberties,
our country has a lot of problems . . . ”

That said, Barack Obama may still be the world champion. His insistence that Americans have no right to get on their “high horse” about
ISIS’s atrocities because of the misdeeds of Christians a thousand years ago remains the ne plus ultra of whataboutist asininity.

Now, I don’t really mind whataboutist arguments across ideological lines. That is actually what a lot of intellectual fights should be about:
holding the other side — and your own — to expressed principles when partisan winds change. There’s nothing wrong with holding Obama
to the standards he leveled against Bush when it comes to things like the national debt or the toppling of Moammar Qaddafi. That’s the
good kind of whataboutism.

For example, Charlie Cooke noted last week that liberals have been flirting with illiberalism for years and they didn’t care because they
were winning. Liberals shot back that Charlie was a “Whataboutist!” trying to deflect from Trump’s singular, democracy-destroying,
concentrated, and sui generis evil.

Sorry, I don’t buy that. Charlie is critical of Trump and Obama. His point is that progressives don’t mind illiberalism when illiberalism
advances their aims. (If only I’d written a book or two that touched on this.) Similarly, I criticized Barack Obama’s hostility to the free
market and fondness for picking winners and losers. I don’t see why I should suddenly embrace those policies when/if Trump does it.

We are in a moment of peak whataboutism on the right. As a columnist, I get it. I even partake in it from time to time. For instance, I
have more than once pointed out that the very same Democrats who hied to their fainting couches over Donald Trump’s denigration of
the democratic system are now hell-bent on denigrating it even more. But I was critical when Trump did it too, so my consistency is
secure.

And this brings me to my grievance. What drives me crazy is when conservatives tell me I must use Obama or Hillary Clinton as the
metric by which I judge Donald Trump. If I note that Trump said something stupid (no really, it happens sometimes), the retort comes
back, “Well, he didn’t refer to 57 states!” or “At least Trump didn’t pronounce it ‘corpse’ man!”

Well, okay . . . ? I criticized Obama about those things, too. What’s your point?

I mildly criticized Trump’s Taiwan call on its messaging and planning, but agreed with it in principle. The immediate response was:
“What about what Obama did in Cuba!?” Sure as shinola, someone will respond to the above stuff about Putin, by saying, “What about
Hillary’s ‘reset’!?” or, “Don’t you remember when Obama said he’d be more flexible after the election? Did you criticize that!?!”

And my answer is: “Uh, yeah.”

During the election, the case against Hillary was the case for Trump for a lot of people and for wholly legitimate reasons. But the election
is over. On the post-election National Review cruise, I was on a panel with a respected conservative who said that we should measure
every Trump policy against the yardstick of “What would Hillary Clinton have done?” I’m grateful Hillary lost, of course, but that’s crazy.
It’s also an invitation for my greatest pre-election worries to come true. “At least he’s better than Hillary” was a perfectly valid standard
for conservatives in the voting booth. It is a suicidal standard for the conservative movement during a Trump presidency.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I've been nevertrump since the 1980s.

I'm not going anywhere.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
I will regard Trump in the same exact way and manner that I did Obama.

No less, and no more.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Wingnut

I'm not going anywhere.

Same with me.   I thought he was a "creeper" when he started his big push to emulate a miami vice type mogul ...NY Chapter.

geronl

Wingnut

Offline Rivergirl

Never Trump and never more concerned about what the Vulgarian will do next.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I still have my principles, nothing has changed. Now, we'll see how he does.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

He just Tweeted that China should keep the drone. No joke.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

Offline EasyAce

I'm not going anywhere.

I was #NeverBoth. Which seemed to p@ss a lot of people off even more. ;)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

Same with me.   I thought he was a "creeper" when he started his big push to emulate a miami vice type mogul ...NY Chapter.

And here I thought the Miami Vice moguls were emulating him. ;)

Offline EasyAce

He is the ennima no one saw cumming.....

I did notice that when all was said and done his real slogan seemed to be up yours . . .

Offline EasyAce

It'll be vulgar, I'm sure. ;)

Wingnut

I did notice that when all was said and done his real slogan seemed to be up yours . . .

He was a master at the.... up yours.

Offline EasyAce

I still have my principles, nothing has changed. Now, we'll see how he does.

That's what we should be afraid of---how he does. And, what.

Offline montanajoe

I will Never stop being NeverTrump. The man is a moral degenerate who does not desereve the offive he was elected. Instead of telling my kids to be proud of their president I have to tell them Never to be like Trump...

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Liberals love to play this game where they define conservative principles for conservatives and then say that If you don’t adhere to them as liberals want, you’re a hypocrite.

QFT.  The left loves playing that particular game.

Offline WhatWouldReaganDo

Down the centuries, you have slurred the meaning of the words, "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty, to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution". These words and the words that follow, were not written only for the Yangs, but for the Kohms as well! They must apply to everyone, or they mean nothing! - James Tiberius Kirk

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
That's what we should be afraid of---how he does. And, what.
No argument, here. There is a list of his promises elsewhere on the site. Some, I hope he fulfills, others, no. We'll see, not just what he does, but how he does it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis