Author Topic: Commentary: What happened to the anti-Trump conservatives? (CBS)  (Read 860 times)

Offline corbe

Commentary: What happened to the anti-Trump conservatives? (CBS)
« on: December 10, 2016, 01:01:22 am »

By/ Will Rahn/ CBS News/ December 9, 2016, 6:00 AM

Commentary: What happened to the anti-Trump conservatives?

Where are all those #NeverTrump conservatives now that the Park Avenue populist has won the presidency?

In a sense, that’s an unfair question: plenty of conservative writers and intellectuals are still knocking Donald Trump. His deal with Carrier to keep a thousand or so jobs in the U.S. evoked particular scorn, as it was a deviation from the free-market orthodoxy still popular among professional thinkers on the right.

But it’s fair to say the criticisms of Trump coming from the right are more muted than they were during the campaign. The New Yorker’s Matt Feeney made this point earlier in the week, prompting a number of conservative writers to note on social media that they’re still criticizing Trump.

But Feeney was largely correct when he noted that magazines like National Review, which devoted an entire issue to castigating Trump during the primaries, has moved on to other, more enticing targets, such as all the despairing lefty protesters.

Really, who could blame conservatives, even those in the #NeverTrump camp, from feeling a bit of schadenfreude? The left is in chaos. Segments of the hated media are distraught. The GOP dominates the government in a way it hasn’t since the 1920s. Harry Reid and President Obama, the two most effective opponents of the conservative project in this century, are both leaving office.

To much of the right commentariat, Trump is still distasteful, and his economic agenda reeks to them of Keynesianism. Otherwise, these are happy days for conservatives, regardless of whom they backed in the primaries.   

And this newfound happiness has taken many conservatives, naturally a rather pessimistic lot, by surprise. Before the election, Washington Republicans were all geared up for a civil war, a period of internecine bloodletting that would make their Obama-era disputes seem quaint.

This faction was readying for battle with that faction. Purges were planned, because there’s nothing conservatives love more than a purge in the ranks. The big question, come November 9th, was supposed to be how the GOP could possibly resurrect itself.

That’s because there was probably no one in America more convinced that Donald Trump would lose than Washington Republicans. He’d done everything wrong. He didn’t have a ground game. He seemed unstable and obnoxious. He never listened to them.

<..snip..>

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/commentary-what-happened-to-the-anti-trump-conservatives/

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

Re: Commentary: What happened to the anti-Trump conservatives? (CBS)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 01:02:43 am »
   Thank You myst and important 'others' here for giving US a safe place.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 01:11:51 am »
   Thank You myst and important 'others' here for giving US a safe place.

Trump IS unstable and Obnoxious and I'm still here.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 02:41:35 am »
As I put in my tagline: "The enemy of my enemies may not be my friend, but it's still fun watching him make my enemies squirm."
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

geronl

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 03:18:43 am »
Nothing.

We are still anti-Trump and still conservative, unlike Trump

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 03:23:13 am »
Nothing.

We are still anti-Trump and still conservative, unlike Trump

I never thought losing would be so much fun but you can't imagine the joy I take in watching Trump betray his most ardent supporters. Like admitting to a crowd tonight that convicting Clinton played well during the election but now he doesn't care.  :silly:

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 04:00:12 am »
I never thought losing would be so much fun but you can't imagine the joy I take in watching Trump betray his most ardent supporters. Like admitting to a crowd tonight that convicting Clinton played well during the election but now he doesn't care.  :silly:

Yep... I didn't think it was possible but I predict the next four years of Trump will make Obama look good...

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 08:01:26 pm »
I never thought losing would be so much fun but you can't imagine the joy I take in watching Trump betray his most ardent supporters.

I understand but don't share the impulse. In a lifetime of watching politics I've seen only too often
the despair among those so ardently supporting false idols such as political candidates as a whole
and presidential aspirants or office holders in particular. It happens, sadly enough, when we
continue to regard presidents as elected monarchs and senators and representatives as demigods.

I reject what Gene Healy calls the cult of the presidency---the dangerous, if not suicidal devotion
too many of us have toward executive power and the man (or woman, in due course) who wields
it, regardless of who holds the office. I reject it not merely because of those who make the
president such an elected monarch but because of those presidents in my lifetime who were
guilty of behaving as such.

And it comes as part of a piece when I remember a remark Murray Kempton made introducing
a section of his 1962 anthology America Comes of Middle Age: "It is difficult for one who
has enjoyed both the taste of our beer and the flavour of our politics to determine which has
gone more sour in his lifetime."

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.