Author Topic: Electric cars expected to make up one third of world’s cars by 2040  (Read 1267 times)

Offline thackney

Electric cars expected to make up one third of world’s cars by 2040
http://fuelfix.com/blog/2016/12/09/electric-cars-expected-to-make-up-one-third-of-worlds-cars-by-2040/
December 09, 2016

Sales of electric vehicles could make up one third of the world’s car sales by 2040, according to a study from the research firm IHS Markit.

While the number of electric vehicles on roads around the world is still small — one percent of all cars — their sales have increased dramatically in the past six years. This year, sales of electric cars were up more than 1,000 percent since 2010, a trend that Markit’s research found will only increase.

The firm’s research on electric cars is part of an on-going project studying the future of transportation in a world where self-driving and electric cars are becoming more common. In particular, the firm wants determine if the spread of electric cars will herald a new era of vehicles, much as the invention of the internal combustion engine did at the turn of the 20th century.

“The key question is whether we are approaching a transformative shift akin to the first decade of the 20th century, when the internal combustion engine, cheap gasoline, bicycle technology and mass production combined to usher in the automotive age,” said Dr. Daniel Yergin, vice chairman of IHS Markit and chairman of the study, in a statement.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Electric cars expected to make up one third of world’s cars by 2040
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 05:35:41 pm »
Balony. The electric car pimps have been saying there is going to be a shift to these cars for years, yet it never happens. A 1000% increase over six years when the numbers are this small is meaningless.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 05:47:43 pm »
I can think of no market that makes sense for the electric car unless it is either for self-driven (in which case it is more like mass transit) or is in a big city(to reduce pollution in inner cities).

If we rounded up all the people to live in big cities, then it would still not make sense as very few would need a car anyway.

Let the weirdos continue trying to improve on them, with limited government expense.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 05:47:45 pm »
Balony. The electric car pimps have been saying there is going to be a shift to these cars for years, yet it never happens. A 1000% increase over six years when the numbers are this small is meaningless.

Amen.

Also ask any hybrid or electric car owner their opinion after paying for a battery replacement.  I'd guess it's okay to be an envirowhacko as long as you have the green to go green.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 05:59:56 pm »
Amen.

Also ask any hybrid or electric car owner their opinion after paying for a battery replacement.  I'd guess it's okay to be an envirowhacko as long as you have the green to go green.

I know three people who bought Priuses. All three of them hated them so much they got rid of them after 2 years. One even parked it 3 months before the lease in his was up and bought a Benz. And those were hybrids, nit full electric.

The other expense beyond the batteries are special low friction tires that wear quick and are expensive to replace.

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 06:18:18 pm »
We will all be driving golf carts.  I've seen the future, I've been to Sun City AZ.  :whistle:

Offline r9etb

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 06:22:47 pm »
Sales of electric vehicles could make up one third of the world’s car sales by 2040, according to a study from the research firm IHS Markit.
“The key question is whether we are approaching a transformative shift akin to the first decade of the 20th century, when the internal combustion engine, cheap gasoline, bicycle technology and mass production combined to usher in the automotive age,” said Dr. Daniel Yergin, vice chairman of IHS Markit and chairman of the study, in a statement.

I look forward to the realization that the power to charge an electric car still has to come from somewhere...