Author Topic: Libya mine-clearing to take weeks in ex-IS bastion  (Read 235 times)

rangerrebew

Libya mine-clearing to take weeks in ex-IS bastion
« on: December 09, 2016, 04:57:53 pm »
Libya mine-clearing to take weeks in ex-IS bastion

Libyan forces said Friday they will need weeks to clear the multitude of mines planted by the defeated Islamic State group in its former stronghold of Sirte before residents can return.
Summary
⎙ Print
Libyan forces said Friday they will need weeks to clear the multitude of mines planted by the defeated Islamic State group in its former stronghold of Sirte before residents can return. "All the city's residential areas were planted with mines and explosives," said General Mohamed Geneidi, a commander of the forces allied with Libya's UN-backed unity government. "Removing (them)...
Author AFP Posted December 9, 2016 16:45 GMT

"All the city's residential areas were planted with mines and explosives," said General Mohamed Geneidi, a commander of the forces allied with Libya's UN-backed unity government.

"Removing (them) will take some time," he told AFP. "We hope this will be completed... within a month and a half."

Forces backing the Government of National Accord (GNA) announced they had taken full control of Sirte on Monday, in a major blow to the Islamic State (IS) jihadists after almost seven months of fighting.

But parts of the city remain no-go areas.

Read more: http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/afp/2016/12/libya-conflict-is.html#ixzz4SMRDohO3