General Category > Shooting Sports

Full-Size Handgun: Go Big Before Going Compact

(1/4) > >>

txradioguy:
One of the most common mistakes that I believe my students make when selecting their first handgun is to purchase a compact or subcompact pistol or revolver. New shooters are often attracted to small pistols because they mistakenly assume that small handguns will be easier to shoot. In my experience, women are more likely to make this error.

Women are sometimes encouraged to purchase a small handgun by a well- meaning friend or relative. Husbands often select a small handgun for their spouses. I have witnessed sales personnel suggesting compact revolvers to women who were purchasing their first handguns. Many people apparently believe that ladies should have a “dainty” pistol. Perhaps it is incorrectly assumed that women cannot hold a larger handgun steady enough to shoot well. My clients, however, prove otherwise in every class I teach.

At times it seems that the firearms industry in general is pushing women toward smaller handguns. Several firearm manufacturers produce small, compact pistols and revolvers finished in so-called “feminine” colors, such as pink or purple. Rarely do I see full-sized pistols in such colors. Only yesterday a young woman said to me, “My husband has several guns, but I want to get my own, one of those little pink revolvers.” Such thinking is no doubt encouraged by the fact that women are often pictured in firearms periodicals holding or shooting small, compact, brightly colored handguns.

On rare occasions a client will obtain a small, compact handgun for participation in a defensive pistol course. The results can be frustrating. Last year, one of my students started her class with a subcompact .45 ACP pistol. Within three hours, she was done. Her hands were hurting and the discomfort was causing her to anticipate the recoil and push the pistol as she pressed the trigger. She returned to a subsequent class armed with a full-sized Glock pistol and learned to be a competent defensive shooter. I have seen this sequence of events occur several times.

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2016/12/full-size-handgun-shooting/#full-size-handgun-1

Maj. Bill Martin:
Agree completely.  Trying to start off a new shooter witg a compact 9 or above - even a .38 - may be too much, especially for women.

Got my wife a .22 auto compact for a purse carry, and she loves it.  She can move up to a larger caliber when she's more comfortable.

Bigun:
Couldn't agree more!

I own only one compact pistol and a couple full sized.

Lando Lincoln:
Mine run from a Desert Eagle (too big for my hands) to a Ruger LC9s and S&W MP Shield.  Wheel guns, semi-autos. 

But I like to BS a lot.   :patriot:

txradioguy:
I was glad I found this article...looking at getting my wife a .357 with either a 2 or 3 in barrel.

Anyone have an opinion good or bad on the Rossi wheel guns?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version