Author Topic: Donald Trump picks Gen. John Kelly for Department of Homeland Security secretary  (Read 524 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: CBS NEWS

URL: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-gen-john-kelly-dhs-secretary-department-homeland-security/

Donald Trump is tapping Gen. John Kelly to run the Department of Homeland Security, CBS News confirms.

The final request and acceptance, sources told CBS’ Major Garrett, occurred while Kelly was traveling in Europe. His pick for DHS secretary will be announced by the transition staff in the coming days.

Kelly is the third general tapped by the president-elect, joining Gen. James Mattis, Mr. Trump’s pick to become the next secretary of Defense, and Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, Mr. Trump’s incoming national security advisor.

Like Mattis, Kelly is a Marine with a reputation for bluntness.

Kelly was the commander of U.S. Southern Command until earlier this year. In that posting, he oversaw American military operations in South America and Central America.

Before that, he commanded American forces numerous times in Iraq, and spent a year as the top Marine in that country. He then was an aide to defense secretaries Leon Panetta and Robert Gates.

CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline SirLinksALot

General Kelly is the highest ranking U.S. military officer to have lost a child in combat operations in Southwest Asia. His youngest son, 1st Lieutenant Robert Michael Kelly, was killed in action in Sangin, Afghanistan on November 9, 2010. The younger Kelly was a former enlisted Marine and was on his third combat tour, but on his first combat tour as a U.S. Marine Corps infantry officer. At the time of his death, 1stLt Kelly was with Lima Company, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines. Kelly's eldest child is a Marine Corps major.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Wow.  I served with Major Kelly a long time time ago, and he was the finest officer with whom I ever served.  Calm, straightforward, sharp as hell.  Just a decent as hell person, and incredibly well-read, just like General Mattis.

I'm at the point where I'm not worried about money, so maybe I'll send in a letter and see if I can be of any use....
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 04:35:53 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »