Exclusive Content > Member Journals

Fits and Starts

<< < (3/4) > >>

geronl:

--- Quote from: Idaho_Cowboy on December 20, 2016, 09:35:59 pm ---That was surreal...

--- End quote ---

I haven't really done anything with that story start. I think it has a lot of potential but I have a lot of stories that need endings

geronl:

--- Quote from: sneakypete on December 21, 2016, 02:44:00 am ---@geronl

I'm already looking forward to reading more of this book.

I am no authority,but I do believe you have the talent and the patience to be a successful author if you decide to keep working at it.

Ever consider trying to sell short stories to "Analogue,the magazine of Science Fiction and Fact" ?

--- End quote ---

Yes, I have tried in the past.

Gefn:
keep on writing. there’s talent there.

read everything you can get your hands on as well.

what really also helps is take a creative writing class at a community college -if you can. Criticism from your peers is priceless.  I’ve had  a few creative writing classes in my lifetime and they were priceless to me.

sneakypete:

--- Quote from: geronl on December 21, 2016, 05:10:46 pm ---Yes, I have tried in the past.

--- End quote ---

Well,in my defense,I DID say it was a "good idea". I didn't say it would be easy,though.

Keep trying. You'll get there.

geronl:
I did add another chapter with the little girl and alien. It's coming up toward the conclusion of "book one"...

note; her and a scientist decided to create a sign language to communicate with the alien

note: "Oppa" in Korea is what a girl would call her older brother (but has since come to be used to refer to unrelated guys they know and even boyfriends) When Eun-Hee named the alien Oppa, the Colonel chokes and spills his coffee. I thought it'd be funny.

--- Quote ---Eun-Hee had been called to the Colonel's office. He implored her to have a more pointed conversation with Oppa. The alien always seemed to clam up with the adult sign-language interrogators, but the man admitted that the alien seemed to like her.

“Maybe we're not paying close enough attention to his answers and his statements. It's possible they mean something a bit different to him,” The Colonel had speculated, “Look, the thing is, the Americans are putting real pressure on the government to hand over the alien. We need to make some progress.”

Eun-Hee took it as a mission. She knew that making demands would cause Oppa to clam up. That was probably what the adults had done wrong. Oppa always seemed to brighten up when she entered the room where he was kept in the transparent isolation area.

He shared some of his latest drawings. One of them was of a planet that was not Earth, nor the red world that he had arrived on. Eun-Hee remembered that he had drawn this before, but it had skipped her mind.

“Is that your home world?” she signed.

Where I was born before I was made a worker.

He had mentioned that he was a worker, not a soldier. This time he said he had been 'made a worker'. In the past Eun-Hee would have assumed he meant that jobs are assigned there, but she thought it might be important.

“Made? Made by who?”

The Overseers.

“Your boss?”

Our masters.

Something about Oppa's choice of words to sign made Eun-Hee's stomach drop.

“Can you draw your overseer?” she signed to him.

The alien took his sketchpad and began drawing. Park Eun-Hee had a bad feeling about it, something was definitely different in the aliens demeanor. The look on his face as he drew was vicious, angry compared to his usual docile nature. The aliens really did look mean when they made that face.

Finally he finished. He showed her what he had made.

“Oh my...” Eun-Hee gasped.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version