Author Topic: Trump announces that Masayoshi Son, CEO of SoftBank, has agreed to invest $50 billion in U.S., create 50K new jobs.  (Read 3947 times)

geronl

Yes, I suppose that's why Masa made a special trip to Trump Tower and stood with Trump while he made the announcement. 

Cronyism requires butt-kissing to the political elite. Trump says he opposes lobbying even while he makes lobbying the centerpiece of his agenda.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
My cousin will be buying my mom's house as soon as probate settles in February.

Thank you Orange Glorious.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Just for the record. Trump will be your president unless you move out of the U.S. Just a fact and honesty.

And Obama was(is) your president before that, and Bush before that, and Clinton before that, and Bush before that, and Reagan before that, and Carter before that.... and so on...

Just because someone is President doesn't mean you are required to give up your values and become an apologist for that person any more than we did when Obama was elected.

At that, as an elected official in a Constitutional Republic, it could be argued our obligation is to keep that person in check to uphold the values they are sworn to protect, not treat them like a king or god that we swear fidelity to.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
And Obama was(is) your president before that, and Bush before that, and Clinton before that, and Bush before that, and Reagan before that, and Carter before that.... and so on...

Just because someone is President doesn't mean you are required to give up your values and become an apologist for that person any more than we did when Obama was elected.

At that, as an elected official in a Constitutional Republic, it could be argued our obligation is to keep that person in check to uphold the values they are sworn to protect, not treat them like a king or god that we swear fidelity to.

Trump is my employee whether I want him or not.

Offline Blizzardnh

I have no  problem with that statement. Obama was my president . Didn't like it but it was a fact.

geronl

I have no  problem with that statement. Obama was my president . Didn't like it but it was a fact.

I oppose Trump as much as I oppose Obama.

Offline Blizzardnh

Trump is my employee whether I want him or not.
I stand corrected thanks.

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: BUSINESS INSIDER

URL: http://www.businessinsider.com/softbank-ceo-announces-us-investment-jobs-after-trump-meeting-2016-12

by Bob Bryan

DONALD TRUMP WITH MASAYOSHI SON

Masayoshi Son, the CEO of Japanese telecom SoftBank, announced Tuesday that his company will be investing $50 billion and bringing 50,000 jobs to the US after a meeting with President-elect Donald Trump.

According to the Wall Street Journal, Son told reporters waiting at Trump Tower that the investment would come from a $100 billion fund created in partnership with the Saudi Arabia sovereign wealth fund and other investors.

SoftBank previously announced a $100 billion tech fund with the Saudis called the SoftBank Vision Fund in October. The fund had not previously detailed where it would invest.

Details on what sort of businesses the fund will invest in or the jobs created were not announced. But Son did show reporters a PowerPoint slide signed by Trump and Son with the vague numbers.

Shortly following the meeting, Trump tweeted the details of the agreement and claimed the deal never would have been done if "we (Trump) not won the election."

Trump and Masayoshi came down from his office in Trump Tower to announce the move to reporters gathered in the lobby of Trump Tower. Trump called Masayoshi "one of the great men of industry" before leaving the Softbank CEO to talk to reporters.

"I just came to celebrate his new job," Son said, according to a pool report. "I said, 'This is great. The US will become great again."

SoftBank is the second-largest telecom by market share in Japan after rival NTT.

The SoftBank move comes just a week after Trump announced a deal with United Technologies to keep 1,100 jobs at its Carrier plant in Indiana.

Following the news, shares of US-based telecom Sprint spiked up just over 4% as of 2:50 p.m. ET. SoftBank owns 83% of Sprint.

Additionally, shares of T-Mobile jumped around 2% after the SoftBank announcement, Son has long targeted the firm for a takeover. Son declined to comment on a possible T-Mobile takeover, which had been quashed due to possible regulatory action, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Offline bilo

What I really love about all this is Trump has the focus on jobs being created in the USA. Even if this was already in the works before the election Trump is sending a message to the business world that he wants to generate jobs in the USA and is going to make changes that makes the USA a better place to do business. I love it!

Lets see what happens with the new Congress and what gets done in the first 6 months.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Oceander

What I really love about all this is Trump has the focus on jobs being created in the USA. Even if this was already in the works before the election Trump is sending a message to the business world that he wants to generate jobs in the USA and is going to make changes that makes the USA a better place to do business. I love it!

Lets see what happens with the new Congress and what gets done in the first 6 months.

Gotta disagree.  He's sending the message that he cuts special deals for companies that belly up to the bar first (and implying they'll at those who do not will suffer for it).  That's called crony capitalism, and a more succinct word for it is corruption. 

Offline Lando Lincoln

Gotta disagree.  He's sending the message that he cuts special deals for companies that belly up to the bar first (and implying they'll at those who do not will suffer for it).  That's called crony capitalism, and a more succinct word for it is corruption.

Yes.  I want the business climate in the US to be more business friendly, less regulated with level playing fields for all - all that entails. However... Government, and especially the Chief Executive, should never choose winners and losers by advantaging or disadvantaging one over the other.  I have no clue what is behind the scene or promises to this Masa guy but we need to know it was above board for any light to shine on it.  Maybe it is squeaky clean and only the acumen of an elite business mind could have pulled it off.  But then...
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline ABX

He is expanding the power of the presidency outside the Constitution, to pick and choose winners. We screamed to high heaven when Obama did it (Solyndra, Tesla, Amonix, A123, Wanxiang, Fisker, GM, Bright Source, Ecotality, Evergreen, Ener1, and the list goes on and on and on). All of those promised American jobs through government favoritism. At the time, we saw through it. Remember Palin's long ranting against Cronyism, this is exactly that. (to be fair to her, she is calling out Trump on all of this as well).

Offline bilo

I oppose Trump as much as I oppose Obama.

I think you're a level headed poster in the short time I've been active here. I would suggest you give him a chance. I didn't vote for Trump, but so far I've been encouraged by what he's done and who he's appointed.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
SOURCE: BUSINESS INSIDER

URL: http://www.businessinsider.com/softbank-ceo-announces-us-investment-jobs-after-trump-meeting-2016-12

by Bob Bryan

DONALD TRUMP WITH MASAYOSHI SON

Masayoshi Son, the CEO of Japanese telecom SoftBank, announced Tuesday that his company will be investing $50 billion and bringing 50,000 jobs to the US after a meeting with President-elect Donald Trump.

According to the Wall Street Journal, Son told reporters waiting at Trump Tower that the investment would come from a $100 billion fund created in partnership with the Saudi Arabia sovereign wealth fund and other investors.

SoftBank previously announced a $100 billion tech fund with the Saudis called the SoftBank Vision Fund in October. The fund had not previously detailed where it would invest.

Details on what sort of businesses the fund will invest in or the jobs created were not announced. But Son did show reporters a PowerPoint slide signed by Trump and Son with the vague numbers.

Shortly following the meeting, Trump tweeted the details of the agreement and claimed the deal never would have been done if "we (Trump) not won the election."

Trump and Masayoshi came down from his office in Trump Tower to announce the move to reporters gathered in the lobby of Trump Tower. Trump called Masayoshi "one of the great men of industry" before leaving the Softbank CEO to talk to reporters.

"I just came to celebrate his new job," Son said, according to a pool report. "I said, 'This is great. The US will become great again."

SoftBank is the second-largest telecom by market share in Japan after rival NTT.

The SoftBank move comes just a week after Trump announced a deal with United Technologies to keep 1,100 jobs at its Carrier plant in Indiana.

Following the news, shares of US-based telecom Sprint spiked up just over 4% as of 2:50 p.m. ET. SoftBank owns 83% of Sprint.

Additionally, shares of T-Mobile jumped around 2% after the SoftBank announcement, Son has long targeted the firm for a takeover. Son declined to comment on a possible T-Mobile takeover, which had been quashed due to possible regulatory action, according to the Wall Street Journal.

What is Trump's blood pressure to be able to turn that shade of red?

Offline bilo

I disagree. The deal with Carrier was at the State level and the announcement today didn't involve any special perks. If the business environment is improved across the board it will benefit everyone. Once he's in office and we see special deals being cut in the tax code, or through regulations, I'll agree with you.

Offline flowers

Yes, it is dated.  **sigh**

how about a working link to this please.

Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2016-10-13/softbank-sets-up-technology-fund-with-100-billion-potential" on this server.

Reference #18.d60033b8.1481062615.34792c4

@AbaraXas  have tried it on 2 different computers...still get that message.

@Lando Lincoln

Offline ABX

Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2016-10-13/softbank-sets-up-technology-fund-with-100-billion-potential" on this server.

@Lando Lincoln

Works fine for me.  Here is the bing snapshot of the page if your firewall is blocking the other link. http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=cache%3ahttp%3a%2f%2fwww.usnews.com%2fnews%2fbusiness%2farticles%2f2016-10-13%2fsoftbank-sets-up-technology-fund-with-100-billion-potential&d=4551335548944441&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=dNmqEOBtygoVtQI0s2J8-_UuqM58MwFu 

Offline Suppressed

Access Denied

@Lando Lincoln

Worked on computer at office and on my phone.

@flowers
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ABX

@flowers
That type of error seems to be common, not just for that site. Here is info and a solution if you keep having it.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1003223

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
The other thing he seems to be catching hell over. Softbank is a Japanese bank, owned mostly in part by the Japanese government (Development Bank of Japan) who have been buying American companies (like Sprint) and this partnership investment is with the Saudi government.

So basically, this 'investment' if it fits Softbank's usual business model, means they will be buying American companies.

Bingo. Allowing foreign entities to buy up our companies is not what we need.  The millionaires and billionaires will profit but the average Joe citizen will not in the long run.  We need to expand American companies and American businesses and not have other countries and foreign banks own us!   
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Bingo. Allowing foreign entities to buy up our companies is not what we need.  The millionaires and billionaires will profit but the average Joe citizen will not in the long run.  We need to expand American companies and American businesses and not have other countries and foreign banks own us!

You're not very knowledgeable. That is called Foreign Direct Investment and is a good reason why the US is so successful.

If the other GOPers think like you then we are in a lot of trouble.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 10:41:54 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Oceander

I disagree. The deal with Carrier was at the State level and the announcement today didn't involve any special perks. If the business environment is improved across the board it will benefit everyone. Once he's in office and we see special deals being cut in the tax code, or through regulations, I'll agree with you.

You know there are no perks?  Really?   

Offline ABX

If it was at the State level then why did Trump rush out to take credit for it?  (hint, similar to SoftBank 'agreement')

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The other thing he seems to be catching hell over. Softbank is a Japanese bank, owned mostly in part by the Japanese government (Development Bank of Japan) who have been buying American companies (like Sprint) and this partnership investment is with the Saudi government.

So basically, this 'investment' if it fits Softbank's usual business model, means they will be buying American companies.

Is this part of the deal Ivanka was working on with the Japanese when she was with Daddy at the meeting with the Japanese PM?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

geronl

I think you're a level headed poster in the short time I've been active here. I would suggest you give him a chance. I didn't vote for Trump, but so far I've been encouraged by what he's done and who he's appointed.

I don't give politicians a chance, they need to earn it, they all start off on my crap list.