Author Topic: President-elect Trump on his desire to cancel Boeing’s Air Force One order: “We want Boeing to make a lot of money, but not that much money”  (Read 8178 times)

Offline libertybele

I'm sure you're right, further cementing my opinion that this story has been botched by the media.

The MSM may have botched the story, but one thing we know by what Trump tweeted is that he wants the order cancelled for Air Force One because of the cost.  We also have the tweet back from Boeing stating that they have a contract.  While my first inclination is that the cost is outrageous, my second thought is what is he going to do once he takes office?? Does he think he can renegotiate every deal and every treaty that has been made over the past several years to his liking??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline NavyCanDo

Watch for 'unexpected' delays and 'unforeseen' cost overruns should this continue.

There is a lot more trouble he can create for Boeing beyond this. A Tweet about canceling 50 Billion F-15 SE sales to Middle countries including Israel could cause BA stocks to plummet. This is what frightens me most about Trump - using the bully pulpit in this way taking revenge any time he wants. Even something  unintentional, like a Tweet can cost a company millions.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Trump's numbers were a little off. But only by $3.8 Billion. The contract was actually for $170 Million.
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,236831.0.html

HonestJohn

There is a lot more trouble he can create for Boeing beyond this. A Tweet about canceling 50 Billion F-15 SE sales to Middle countries including Israel could cause BA stocks to plummet. This is what frightens me most about Trump - using the bully pulpit in this way taking revenge any time he wants. Even something  unintentional, like a Tweet can cost a company millions.

And then Boeing announces that they can no longer maintain the F-15 production line due to budgetary constraints.

Good luck defending America now.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Rush Limbaugh is suggesting today that Trump is 'dumb like a fox'-like, and that there's a LOT more going on here with Boeing.

Boeing has contributed millions to the Clinton Foundation and Bill Clinton while Hillary was Sec of State and meeting with the Iranians. 

Then they were awarded....or expected to be awarded, the Contract for rebuilding the Iranian airliner fleet.

Stay tuned.....     :laugh:

What other American aircraft manufacturer is left that can build a jet like AF1 with an off the shelf airframe large enough to do the job?

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
They're buying two planes.  I doubt Boeing is "profiting mightily."  Things cost what they cost.  Moreover, if costs are increasing, it's almost certainly because the AF has been changing (adding or subtracting) requirements for the plane.

He wants to cancel jobs for people in Washington?  I know lots of people employed at Boeing.  Its one of our largest employers.  If he goes outside of the country what would that say?
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online corbe

He wants to cancel jobs for people in Washington?  I know lots of people employed at Boeing.  Its one of our largest employers.  If he goes outside of the country what would that say?

Well @Chosen Daughter Washington State didn't vote for him and elections have consequences.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Optiguy

"I mean, I do think at a certain point you’ve made enough money.”---Barak Obama April 28, 2010

"We want Boeing to make a lot of money but not that much money.”---Donald Trump December 6, 2016

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
"I mean, I do think at a certain point you’ve made enough money.”---Barak Obama April 28, 2010

"We want Boeing to make a lot of money but not that much money.”---Donald Trump December 6, 2016

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:46:11 am by Machiavelli »

Online corbe

If you suspend your belief in reality(TV) for a moment, you will see that you are not capable of determining who is the bigger liberal between the two, otherwise carry on.
/s
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

geronl

Trump wants to reward (Carrier, Softbank) and punish (Boeing, 35% tax) individual companies based on how they treat him.

That is insane by any definition.

Just remember his 35% tax is only applicable to companies he wants to tax, not the ones he likes.

Offline NavyCanDo

And I'm one of them. 30 Years now. And watching my stock drop because of something he said angers me to know end.    I truly was hoping that in 4 years I could say I was wrong about him. So far he's only assuring me that I was right about him all along.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
And I'm one of them. 30 Years now. And watching my stock drop because of something he said angers me to know end.    I truly was hoping that in 4 years I could say I was wrong about him. So far he's only assuring me that I was right about him all along.

Oh so sorry NavyCanDo.  I knew you were an Washingtonian.  Me too.  Born and raised and Boeing is part of the state.  Washington without a Boeing would be like Seattle without a Space Needle.

I was hoping that Trump could pull it together and do a good job.  It looks bad.  Who does he think he is anyway insulting corporations that provide jobs for American Citizens.  And Boeing does.  He is a bad taste.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

Yep. He does seem to be listening to some things. He got rid of that Pizzagate idiot-boy at least. He needs to realize that on social media he's an idiot.

4 years of this crap, can you imagine?

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
If not Boeing, then which company shall we give the contract to? Airbus?  What other company makes wide-bodied planes capable of performing the task, nowadays?  :shrug:

Lockhead Martin makes the C-5 Galaxy which has similar performance capabilities and in some areas exceeds the performance of the 747. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Lockhead Martin makes the C-5 Galaxy which has similar performance capabilities and in some areas exceeds the performance of the 747.

Except the design and airframe for the C-5 is not built to be a passenger aircraft.  And even if such a silly "fix" were tried...even on a C-5M Super galaxy...the newest of the planes...it would still cost a LOT of money to bring it up to AF1 specs.  Probably more than it would cost for two 747-8's.

There were only 131 C-5's built total. And those are spread through the Active, Reserve and Air Guard fleets. The production lines for new aircraft shut down years ago.  The only way to get two C-5's for the purpose you speak of would be to pull them from the Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group bone yard at Davis-Monthan AFB fly them to the Lockheed plant (after you spent the money to get them airworthy again for a special FAA one time flight certificate) and then spend $100 million per plane to bring them to the "M" specs...and that's before any money is spent modifying them from a cargo plane into the flying White House.

There is a reason the military...in certain instances...buys "off the shelf" aircraft for conversions instead of creating a whole new genre from whole cloth.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 03:45:24 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline libertybele

Trump wants to reward (Carrier, Softbank) and punish (Boeing, 35% tax) individual companies based on how they treat him.

That is insane by any definition.

Just remember his 35% tax is only applicable to companies he wants to tax, not the ones he likes.

I think he will lower the corporate tax rate across the board, but he also may make 'deals' with certain companies.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I think he will lower the corporate tax rate across the board, but he also may make 'deals' with certain companies.

And like Palin said...that's called "crony capitalism"...there's nothing free market about it.

Oceander

But, but, but ....

Don't worry, the God Squad will be by sooner or later to set you straight. 

Offline jpsb

Offline jpsb

Charging US Tax payers (me) 4 billion for 2 planes that cost 350 million a piece is fine with everyone here huh? Guess yall were cool with the $400.00 hammers and Hillary losing 6 billion at State.

Offline jpsb

At about one thrid the cost of a 747-8
hell of a bird

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Except the design and airframe for the C-5 is not built to be a passenger aircraft.  And even if such a silly "fix" were tried...even on a C-5M Super galaxy...the newest of the planes...it would still cost a LOT of money to bring it up to AF1 specs.  Probably more than it would cost for two 747-8's.

There were only 131 C-5's built total. And those are spread through the Active, Reserve and Air Guard fleets. The production lines for new aircraft shut down years ago.  The only way to get two C-5's for the purpose you speak of would be to pull them from the Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group bone yard at Davis-Monthan AFB fly them to the Lockheed plant (after you spent the money to get they airworthy again for a special FAA one time flight certificate) and then spend $100 million per plane to bring them to the "M" specs...and that's before any money is spent modifying them from a cargo plane into the flying White House.

There is a reason the military...in certain instances...buys "off the shelf" aircraft for conversions instead of creating a whole new genre from whole cloth.
@Taxcontrol @txradioguy

Yeah, I think the C5 modification would be a non-starter... the redesign to accommodate what is intended for an AF1 would be a very large undertaking.

Could bring a couple of L1011s out of mothballs...sweeeeet flying aircraft and big. 

I flew on one back in the 90s from SC to Cold Lake Canada...flew a C5 back.  Absolutely no comparison.

Boeing does have the upperhand here...they're the only US manufacturer of aircraft of this type and it's not like they're hurting for business. 

Industry insiders know the strength of Boeing, no matter what the hot head says.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline thackney

What other American aircraft manufacturer is left that can build a jet like AF1 with an off the shelf airframe large enough to do the job?

Lockheed C-5 Galaxy
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Charging US Tax payers (me) 4 billion for 2 planes that cost 350 million a piece is fine with everyone here huh? Guess yall were cool with the $400.00 hammers and Hillary losing 6 billion at State.
@jpsb

But it's not an OTS aircraft simply modified with upscale furnishings inside.

Your strawmen notwithstanding.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.