Author Topic: Florida voters sue for recount  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Florida voters sue for recount
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2016, 04:32:27 pm »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2016, 04:33:40 pm »
Michigan already certified the vote. The recount is after that fact.

Yes, I know.  What I don't understand is why the Federal courts are allowing this recount.  Have you a theory?

Offline jpsb

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2016, 04:41:55 pm »

Yes, I know.  What I don't understand is why the Federal courts are allowing this recount.  Have you a theory?

The most popular theory is Jill Stein is making big bucks on the recount funding, the second most popular theory is recounts serve to de-legitimatize a Trump presidency.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2016, 06:07:19 pm »
@Victoria33 @Oceander

I thought each state determined its' own election laws. So what is true in Texas might not be true in Florida. I know there are some federal laws such as age and citizenship, but aren't most of the regulations determined at the state level?
@jpsb
@Oceander

Florida law is the same as Texas.

FLORIDA ELECTION LAW
"CONDUCTING ELECTIONS AND ASCERTAINING THE RESULTS
(7) If the unofficial returns reflect that a candidate for any office was defeated or eliminated by one-half of a percent or less of the votes cast for such office, that a candidate for retention to a judicial office was retained or not retained by one-half of a percent or less of the votes cast on the question of retention, or that a measure appearing on the ballot was approved or rejected by one-half of a percent or less of the votes cast on such measure, a recount shall be ordered of the votes cast with respect to such office or measure. The Secretary of State is responsible for ordering recounts in federal, state, and multicounty races."

The Secretary of State in every state is responsible for elections and recounts and also responsible for retaining a current Master voter list.  It was the federal law passed in 2003 that made the SOS in every state responsible for the Master voter list.   

« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 06:09:31 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline jpsb

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2016, 12:51:08 pm »
@jpsb
@Oceander

Florida law is the same as Texas.

FLORIDA ELECTION LAW
"CONDUCTING ELECTIONS AND ASCERTAINING THE RESULTS
(7) If the unofficial returns reflect that a candidate for any office was defeated or eliminated by one-half of a percent or less of the votes cast for such office, that a candidate for retention to a judicial office was retained or not retained by one-half of a percent or less of the votes cast on the question of retention, or that a measure appearing on the ballot was approved or rejected by one-half of a percent or less of the votes cast on such measure, a recount shall be ordered of the votes cast with respect to such office or measure. The Secretary of State is responsible for ordering recounts in federal, state, and multicounty races."

The Secretary of State in every state is responsible for elections and recounts and also responsible for retaining a current Master voter list.  It was the federal law passed in 2003 that made the SOS in every state responsible for the Master voter list.

@Victoria33

OK, thanks for the info.