Author Topic: Bernie Sanders: Carrier just showed corporations how to beat Donald Trump  (Read 2321 times)

geronl

Re: Bernie Sanders: Carrier just showed corporations how to beat Donald Trump
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2016, 11:00:00 pm »
What about this --- we lower the taxes for every corporation (not just Carrier) in Indiana (and every corporation in America ). We also eliminate unnecessary regulations for every corporation in Indiana AND the United States.

How is that crony capitalism?

We're talking about a deal for one particular company, without regard to whether this is good or even proper. Plus it is being used for political grandstanding, a sure sign that corruption is involved somewhere

HonestJohn

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2016, 02:22:22 am »
My point is this, no company needs to consider moving overseas if the TAX and REGULATION policies are low and reasonable respectively.

For instance, Letting Carrier KEEP THEIR OWN MONEY, rather then have the State of Indiana and the Federal government tax it away from them is a VERY Conservative position.

We should all applaud it, and we ought to encourage policies like these everywhere in this country.

For this situation, odds are that Carrier split the baby, choosing to keep one part in the US and retool the plant and send the rest (and likely growing) part to Mexico to make up for the extra costs of the US plant.

In the long run, the main thing that can be done to prevent companies from fleeing is to make it attractive to continue operating here in the USA, and other than using the power of tax incentives and reasonable regulations, I can't think of any other ( Tariffs are a tax on consumers and are not something I like ).

If a business wants to keep it's own money, fine.

It will have to build it's own transportation infrastructure (roads, ports, bridges, etc), lay it's own utilities, provide it's own protection, create it's own fire department, etc, etc, etc.

It's completely on it's own. 

If it wants to use public roads, it will have to pay a user fee per mile.  Say $.50 per mile.  Federal reimbursement rates for travel are $.415 per mile, and as this wounld be a business arrangement, I'd think that should be a decent profit involve for the supplier of the roads.

Same for the fire department, utilities, police, etc.  All billed so that they can turn a tidy profit.

Of course, I'm thinking that taxes would be the cheaper alternative... but I could be wrong.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2016, 02:31:39 am »
Bribe as in what? GAVE THEM $7 Million out of the Indiana treasury? Or gave them a $7 Million tax break? Is there not a difference between these two?

The former says, hey, we'll give you money from tax revenue.

The other says, hey, we won't take more of your money.
When the company is due to pay that $7,000,000 in tax breaks, and receives special, specific intervention from the government that it did not give to all companies, it is effectively the same as giving them $7m out of the treasury.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024