Author Topic: Gambia: The Gambia - Elections in a 'Climate of Fear'  (Read 377 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Gambia: The Gambia - Elections in a 'Climate of Fear'
« on: December 01, 2016, 08:03:35 am »
Gambia: The Gambia - Elections in a 'Climate of Fear'

By Adrian Kriesch (Ck)

Gambians go to the polls on December 1 to elect a new president. Incumbent Jammeh has been in power for 22 years - and plans to stay on. Those who criticize him suffer harsh repression. DW's Adrian Kriesch reports.

Suddenly, the taxi driver looked at me nervously and fell silent. He had just complained copiously about the situation in his country. With the economy in dire straits - he called it a catastrophe - he had to work two jobs, as a driver and an electrician, just to feed his family. Neither was a steady job. But then I told him that I was a journalist and he was shocked. "It is dangerous to speak openly to people, even within our own families. You can't trust anyone," he said.

As a foreign journalist in The Gambia you are constantly confronted with people's fears of saying the wrong thing. Interviews start by being agreed to, but are then quickly cancelled. "Too busy", you are told. The international non-governmental organization Human Rights Watch (HRW) talks of a "climate of fear" in this small west-African state. Since staging a successful coup 22 years ago, President Yahya Jammeh has used arbitrary arrests, torture and kidnapping as a way to pressure journalists and civil society to impose self-censorhip, a report by HRW said.

"Certain people have told us that they are too scared to say what they think," pro-democracy activist Hannah Forster from the African Centre for Democracy and Human Rights Studies in Serrekunda, The Gambia's biggest city, told DW. "They are also afraid of being connected to the wrong people," she added. You very seldom hear direct criticism of the president.

Read More At: http://allafrica.com/stories/201611300096.html Deutsche Welt via All Africa