Author Topic: Air Conditioning Company Carrier says it has deal with Trump to keep jobs in Indiana  (Read 2387 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: FOX NEWS

URL: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/11/29/carrier-says-it-has-deal-with-trump-to-keep-jobs-in-indiana.html

Air conditioning company Carrier said Tuesday that it had reached an agreement with President-elect Donald Trump that would keep 1,000 jobs in Indianapolis.

Follow
 Carrier @Carrier
We are pleased to have reached a deal with President-elect Trump & VP-elect Pence to keep close to 1,000 jobs in Indy. More details soon.
7:54 PM - 29 Nov 2016
  7,710 7,710 Retweets   9,907 9,907 likes

Trump and Vice President-elect Mike Pence, Indiana's outgoing governor, planned to travel to the state Thursday to unveil the agreement alongside company officials.

Details of the agreement were not immediately available. A Trump transition source told Fox News that Carrier executives went to Trump Tower Tuesday to hash out the deal.

Trump spent much of his campaign pledging to keep companies like Carrier from moving jobs overseas. His focus on manufacturing jobs contributed to his unexpected appeal with working-class voters in states like Michigan, which has long voted for Democrats in presidential elections.

In a September debate against Democratic rival Hillary Clinton, he railed against Carrier's decision to move hundreds of air-conditioner manufacturing jobs from Indianapolis to Mexico.
"So many hundreds and hundreds of companies are doing this," Trump said. "We have to stop our jobs from being stolen from us. We have to stop our companies from leaving the United States."

During the Republican primaries, Trump said he would said he would demand that Carrier parent company United Technologies reverse a decision to move two of its Carrier heating and ventilating parts plants to Mexico, eliminating 2,100 U.S. jobs.

Carrier wasn't the only company Trump assailed. He pledged to give up Oreos after Nabisco's parent, Mondelez International, said it would replace nine production lines in Chicago with four in Mexico. He criticized Ford after the company said it planned to invest $2.5 billion in engine and transmission plants in Mexico.

Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump
I am working hard, even on Thanksgiving, trying to get Carrier A.C. Company to stay in the U.S. (Indiana). MAKING PROGRESS - Will know soon!
10:11 AM - 24 Nov 2016
  31,222 31,222 Retweets   139,852 139,852 likes

Trump tweeted on Thanksgiving Day that he was "making progress" on trying to get Carrier to stay in Indiana.

Thursday's event will mark a rare public appearance for Trump, who has spent nearly his entire tenure as president-elect huddled with advisers and meeting with possible Cabinet secretaries. He plans to make other stops later this week as part of what advisers have billed as a "thank you" tour for voters who backed him in the presidential campaign.

Fox News' John Roberts contributed to this report. The Associated Press also contributed to this report.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 03:03:59 am by SirLinksALot »

Offline Hoodat

Quote from: FOX NEWS
Air conditioning company Carrier said Tuesday that it had reached an agreement with President-elect Donald Trump that would keep 1,000 jobs in Indianapolis.

Picking winners and losers?  Sounds just like the current President.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline bolobaby

This actually concerns me for a variety of reasons.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline SirLinksALot

Can you elaborate for our edification?

Offline Frank Cannon

First of all should be because this whole Carrier issue Trump used was a fraud. Donny set this up so he could fold on any further promises. Just look at what he did with Ford. Claimed victory over an issue they weren't even planning.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

First of all should be because this whole Carrier issue Trump used was a fraud. Donny set this up so he could fold on any further promises. Just look at what he did with Ford. Claimed victory over an issue they weren't even planning.

Carrier ‏@Carrier
We are pleased to have reached a deal with President-elect Trump & VP-elect Pence to keep close to 1,000 jobs in Indy. More details soon.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Well.... didn't Reagan pressure Harley Davidson to stay in the country?

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

LOL

There might be a job for you in the Trump administration yet.

• Technical
LOL

There might be a job for you in the Trump administration yet.

Me? I want nothing to do with Trump. It's called rationalizing.  :laugh:

Yes, yes he did.

You must have missed this @Frank Cannon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3ttxGMQOrY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3ttxGMQOrY

Offline bolobaby

Can you elaborate for our edification?

@SirLinksALot

The devil will be in the details.

I firmly believe in equal protection under the law. Crony capitalism usually scraps that concept in exchange for favors and favortism.

I want to hear what Trump offered in this deal? Is it something, as President, that he even has authority to offer, or has he overstepped Constitutional powers? Is this a deal that other companies would want but won't be offered? Does the deal represent an exception of some sort? Exceptions are extremely problematic. We should work to create an environment that is favorable to all businesses, not the Solyndras and Carriers that have executive favor.

Finally, the business operations on Carrier are beneath the presidency in a way. Trump is not CEO of Carrier. Focusing on the needs of a single company is less efficient than working to, say, reform the tax code so all companies can benefit. He can certainly use the concerns of a single company to help inform policy, but if policy is being shaped because of the concerns of a single company, that's problematic.

So - let's hear the details to determine if any of these concerns are warranted, although some concerns are warranted regardless of the details.
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

• Technical
@SirLinksALot

The devil will be in the details.

I firmly believe in equal protection under the law. Crony capitalism usually scraps that concept in exchange for favors and favortism.

I want to hear what Trump offered in this deal? Is it something, as President, that he even has authority to offer, or has he overstepped Constitutional powers? Is this a deal that other companies would want but won't be offered? Does the deal represent an exception of some sort? Exceptions are extremely problematic. We should work to create an environment that is favorable to all businesses, not the Solyndras and Carriers that have executive favor.

Finally, the business operations on Carrier are beneath the presidency in a way. Trump is not CEO of Carrier. Focusing on the needs of a single company is less efficient than working to, say, reform the tax code so all companies can benefit. He can certainly use the concerns of a single company to help inform policy, but if policy is being shaped because of the concerns of a single company, that's problematic.

So - let's hear the details to determine if any of these concerns are warranted, although some concerns are warranted regardless of the details.

Were you a big trump booster on here? I don't remember. This is something trump has said he would do all along. Not really a surprise.

Really wish we had Cruz.

Offline Night Hides Not

Let me see if I have this right: bailing out GM was bad, but "reaching a deal" with Carrier is good.   :chairbang:

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline bolobaby

Were you a big trump booster on here? I don't remember. This is something trump has said he would do all along. Not really a surprise.

Really wish we had Cruz.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Certainly not a Trump booster. You should be able to tell that from my tag, which is unchanged from before the election. ;-)
1. Trump is never wrong.

Offline Hoodat

No.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Frank Cannon

You must have missed this @Frank Cannon

You shorted that quote I made because you are being intentionally disingenuous.....

Just look at what he did with Ford. Claimed victory over an issue they weren't even planning.

Trump claimed a victory over Ford moving Lincoln production out of KY to Mexico when Ford never had plans to move the production of that line. They are building that small car plant in Mexico that Donny railed against.

Trump Takes Credit For Saving A U.S. Ford Plant That Wasn't Planning To Move

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/11/18/502528759/trump-claims-credit-for-keeping-ford-lincoln-production-in-kentucky

President-elect Donald Trump took to Twitter on Thursday night to say Ford Motor Co. executive chairman William Ford Jr. had called to say the company would not move production of the Lincoln MKC from its Louisville Assembly Plant to Mexico.

Just got a call from my friend Bill Ford, Chairman of Ford, who advised me that he will be keeping the Lincoln plant in Kentucky - no Mexico
    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 18, 2016

A second Trump tweet claimed credit for the decision.

I worked hard with Bill Ford to keep the Lincoln plant in Kentucky. I owed it to the great State of Kentucky for their confidence in me!
    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 18, 2016

Ford, however, said it neither planned to close the Louisville, Ky., plant nor reduce jobs there. The company said it had considered moving Lincoln production to Mexico to increase production of the Ford Escape in Louisville.

Offline Night Hides Not

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Certainly not a Trump booster. You should be able to tell that from my tag, which is unchanged from before the election. ;-)

Not good enough for Trumpsters, total fealty is demanded in their cult of personality.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline SirLinksALot

Let me see if I have this right: bailing out GM was bad, but "reaching a deal" with Carrier is good.   :chairbang:

The above would be problematic if "reaching a deal" = "bailing out".

We don't know the details yet, so I suggest we stay tuned.

• Technical
No.

Thought I read somewhere he made a "gentlemen's agreement" to keep some jobs in the country. Don't remember the details. He absolutely did enact tariffs on motorcycles imported. That is a fact.

I'm not cool with any of this but if Trump has to throw a bone to his supporters...  :shrug:

We can get a lot more good than bad to overlook these little things.

Offline GrouchoTex

(1) Can any Industry now wanting to "reach a deal" can now claim they are moving to Mexico, and receive special favors?

(2) Carrier is happy, now. How are Ruud, Trane, American Standard, Lennox, etc, feeling today?

If this was Trump just saying, "stick around, we are going to lower taxes and regulations", that's fine, but they've actually claimed that they have "reached a deal".

• Technical
(1) Can any Industry now wanting to "reach a deal" can now claim they are moving to Mexico, and receive special favors?

(2) Carrier is happy, now. How are Ruud, Trane, American Standard, Lennox, etc, feeling today?

If this was Trump just saying, "stick around, we are going to lower taxes and regulations", that's fine, but they've actually claimed that they have "reached a deal".

Welcome to populism. Trump will stick it to the man. Good thing right?

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

Thought I read somewhere he made a "gentlemen's agreement" to keep some jobs in the country. Don't remember the details. He absolutely did enact tariffs on motorcycles imported. That is a fact.

I'm not cool with any of this but if Trump has to throw a bone to his supporters...  :shrug:

We can get a lot more good than bad to overlook these little things.

@Hoodat @Weird Tolkienish Figure

What Reagan did was impose some very limited and specific tariffs for a limited time against Japanese motorcycle imports over 1100cc. That's pretty specific and affected a pretty small number of bikes but Reagan also encouraged those Japanese manufacturers to come here and compete which they did.

It saved Harley while creating new jobs with the Japanese manufacturers who came here without killing the economy because it was so limited. Cars are a whole different ball game because they all are full of foreign made parts and nearly everybody has one unlike large Harleys.

Offline LadyLiberty

^^^^^^
THIS