Exclusive Content > Research

Ur-Fascism by Umberto Eco

<< < (2/6) > >>

massadvj:
While Trump and his movement have shown some fascist tendencies (very well articulated by my friend OC) I am not yet fearful.  The man himself seems too clumsy and foolish to be an effective dictator, and there is already a great deal of infighting among his inner circle.  When Kellyanne is blindfolded and placed before a firing squad for her insubordination, then I will worry.  In the meantime, I will rest easy knowing that these particular fascists don't seem very competent.

Oceander:

--- Quote from: massadvj on November 29, 2016, 03:12:36 pm ---While Trump and his movement have shown some fascist tendencies (very well articulated by my friend OC) I am not yet fearful.  The man himself seems too clumsy and foolish to be an effective dictator, and there is already a great deal of infighting among his inner circle.  When Kellyanne is blindfolded and placed before a firing squad for her insubordination, then I will worry.  In the meantime, I will rest easy knowing that these particular fascists don't seem very competent.

--- End quote ---

To be clear, I am not saying that Trump is a fascist, will become a fascist, or that fascism will take over at this point in time.  Hopefully we as a species have learned a little something from the Twentieth Century.  But I am saying that the elements Eco ascribed to fascism are also present in Trump and his supporters.

I suppose the way to summarize that is this:  all fascists exhibit one or more -usually several - of these elements, but not all groups that exhibit one or more of these tendencies is necessarily fascist. 

Ghost Bear:
@Oceander , excellent analysis!   :thumbsup2:

INVAR:

--- Quote from: Oceander on November 29, 2016, 02:53:47 pm ---I would be very, very careful about too facilely assuming that Eco's essay describes Clinton.  In point of fact, the elements he ascribes to fascism much more comfortably fit the mold of Trump and his followers.

--- End quote ---

Excellently articulated Oceander and exactly correct in attribution.

Recall that it was out of fear of the Communists that Germany (and to a lesser extent Italy) embraced Fascism.

Nothing new under the sun.  Thanksgiving with extended fam revealed to me just how desirous people are for radical authoritarianism and punishment to be visited on those they blame for our current situation.

geronl:
 :thumbsup:

@Oceander

Good post

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version