Author Topic: How Liberals Abuse Language  (Read 215 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
How Liberals Abuse Language
« on: November 26, 2016, 04:01:47 pm »

As long as words are left undefined, their meanings are vague and are left up to the listener’s or reader’s imagination. Many on the left have manipulated language in this way…

What’s in a Definition?

Defining one’s terms is important.[1] Yet, terms are often left undefined when speaking about the most important of subjects. In order to be understood, one should take great pains to articulate what is meant by the words that come out of one’s mouth. However, what if one is trying to hide what she truly means or wants to evade a revealing question? In this case, she may use words that are vague and unclear. Furthermore, vague language is of good use in furthering a cause or convincing others of the truth or falsity of a controversial proposition.[2] I believe that this is an abuse of language. Moreover, I believe that many in education,[3] the political class,[4] and the media[5] are the biggest perpetrators of linguistic manipulation. One cannot deny that both sides of the political aisle are guilty. Yet, it seems that those on the left side of social issues intentionally evade univocal language. In this essay, I intend to show that the political left abuses the definitional process in many different ways and on many different subjects. In order to show this abuse, I must first give an account of two different types of definitions....

http://www.theimaginativeconservative.org/2016/11/liberals-abuse-language-shannon-holzer.html?mc_cid=85eebd5509&mc_eid=c6776db871

Good read.