Author Topic: Sri Lanka sentences 18 to death in US tea firm case  (Read 628 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Sri Lanka sentences 18 to death in US tea firm case
« on: November 26, 2016, 03:38:45 am »
Sri Lanka sentences 18 to death in US tea firm case

A court in Sri Lanka has given death sentences to 18 men over murdering a US tea company executive in the capital Colombo three years ago, the largest group to be condemned in a single trial in the South Asian country.

The High Court of Sri Lanka on Friday found the men, who were members of a criminal gang, guilty of hacking and beating Nihal Perera to death, in Deraniyagala, a township on the outskirts of the capital, in July 2013.

The 71-year-old victim, a Sri Lankan national, was the superintendent of the Noori Estate tea plantation run by Texas-based firm Walters Bay, and his tragic death caused a massive public outcry against the police at the time. The protesters accused the police of incapability to deal with criminal gangs allegedly led by members of the country’s former President Mahinda Rajapaksa's party.

Twenty-one men were arrested at the time on homicide charges and trial commenced in February 2015, with around 20 witnesses giving testimonies. On Friday, however, three of the suspects were acquitted.

Continued: http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2016/11/25/495167/Sri-Lanka-police-gang-Nihal-Perera-death-penalty

That's sentencing a lot of people to death for the murder of one man. I'll bet people hadn't heard about this.

geronl

Re: Sri Lanka sentences 18 to death in US tea firm case
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 03:45:42 am »
That's sentencing a lot of people to death for the murder of one man. I'll bet people hadn't heard about this.

If they were really all involved it in, then it is appropriate

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Sri Lanka sentences 18 to death in US tea firm case
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 03:55:05 am »

The money quote:

Sri Lankan courts usually give death sentences for rape, homicide and drug-related crimes, but the verdicts are regularly commuted to life sentences because of an unofficial moratorium on the death penalty.

So it is not as drastic as it first appeared.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley