Author Topic: Trump’s GOP: The end of ‘checklist conservatism’  (Read 2686 times)

Offline endicom

Trump’s GOP: The end of ‘checklist conservatism’
« on: November 25, 2016, 02:38:15 pm »
New York Post
F.H. Buckley
Nov. 21, 2016

There was a telling moment in the middle of the Republican primaries, when a reporter asked Donald Trump to comment on charges that he really wasn’t a conservative. “It’s called the Republican Party,” he answered. “Not the conservative party.”

Understand that, and you’ll understand the path Trump took to victory — through Pennsylvania, Ohio and Michigan, not through the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) or K Street. It’s something nearly everyone on the left missed, from the academy to fake-news sites like the Washington Post. They painted him as an arch-reactionary, at best Barry Goldwater but more likely George Wallace. He’s neither of them, of course.

More... http://nypost.com/2016/11/21/trumps-gop-the-end-of-checklist-conservatism/

Well, 'checklist conservatives' tend to be FOS conservatives.

Saint Reagan was a big spender and his extension of the WOD did much to trash the Constitution. Demon Drug has been the excuse for civil asset forfeiture and the war on cash without doing a thing to reduce drug use.

And...no Conservative Party has been more than an also-ran in the U.S.

Offline skeeter

Re: Trump’s GOP: The end of ‘checklist conservatism’
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 02:41:45 pm »
New York Post
F.H. Buckley
Nov. 21, 2016

There was a telling moment in the middle of the Republican primaries, when a reporter asked Donald Trump to comment on charges that he really wasn’t a conservative. “It’s called the Republican Party,” he answered. “Not the conservative party.”

Understand that, and you’ll understand the path Trump took to victory — through Pennsylvania, Ohio and Michigan, not through the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) or K Street. It’s something nearly everyone on the left missed, from the academy to fake-news sites like the Washington Post. They painted him as an arch-reactionary, at best Barry Goldwater but more likely George Wallace. He’s neither of them, of course.

More... http://nypost.com/2016/11/21/trumps-gop-the-end-of-checklist-conservatism/

Well, 'checklist conservatives' tend to be FOS conservatives.

Saint Reagan was a big spender and his extension of the WOD did much to trash the Constitution. Demon Drug has been the excuse for civil asset forfeiture and the war on cash without doing a thing to reduce drug use.

And...no Conservative Party has been more than an also-ran in the U.S.

Oh boy. Can't wait to see certain Trump fans' reactions to this piece.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 02:42:50 pm »
It has a point. Remember that youngsters today weren't even alive during the Reagan administration.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 02:44:16 pm »
It has a point. Remember that youngsters today weren't even alive during the Reagan administration.

Nor were they alive during the Eisenhower administration, which is what this writer compares Trump to.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 02:47:01 pm »
Trump's GOP is the end of me voting republican.

Offline endicom

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 03:04:23 pm »
Oh boy. Can't wait to see certain Trump fans' reactions to this piece.

No safe spaces for anyone in that article.

Offline endicom

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 03:05:23 pm »

Why did you start voting Republican? Did you buy the hype?

Offline jpsb

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 03:15:26 pm »
I left the GOP in W second term. W was a big spending liberal that trashed our constitution and grew government like no one I've seen since LBJ. Trump brought me back to the GOP.  If he governs like Ike that's find with me. Ike was the best president in my life time, Reagan was good too, but Reagan had major screw ups. Ike rarely screwed up.

Offline endicom

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 03:30:56 pm »
If he governs like Ike that's find with me.

He didn't reduce government. But he didn't go back to New Deal expansionism and eschewed the socialized medicine being pushed by Truman and others. Not much there for we small-government advocates to cheer but we did prosper.

Consider the time period. We were just out of the Depression-WWII era and, according to the smart set, in need of a new New Deal. Instead of that we turned to Free Enterprise (Ike seemed to like that term) and ran ahead of the rest of the world. There was that Cold War thing to deal with and he did. The Civil Rights movement was coming to a head and he dealt with that.

Could anyone else have done better at that time?

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 03:38:08 pm »
Trump's definition of 'draining the swamp' means tilting the swamp towards himself.
His decisions will be based on his own personal investments. What's good for Trump is good for America.....the newest motto.
SORRY, NOT MY REPUBLICAN PARTY.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 03:42:04 pm »
In New York State, you can register with the Conservative Party:

http://www.cpnys.org/

Folks like Jeff Sessions seem to be ideal. I'm pleased with most of the appointees. Seem Conservative to me.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 03:49:17 pm »
He didn't reduce government. But he didn't go back to New Deal expansionism and eschewed the socialized medicine being pushed by Truman and others. Not much there for we small-government advocates to cheer but we did prosper.

Consider the time period. We were just out of the Depression-WWII era and, according to the smart set, in need of a new New Deal. Instead of that we turned to Free Enterprise (Ike seemed to like that term) and ran ahead of the rest of the world. There was that Cold War thing to deal with and he did. The Civil Rights movement was coming to a head and he dealt with that.

Could anyone else have done better at that time?

Ike like Trump was not an ideological conservative, he was a pragmatic problem solver. I am hoping Trump is too, we have a number of problems that need to be solved.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2016, 03:55:34 pm »

http://www.cpnys.org/

Folks like Jeff Sessions seem to be ideal. I'm pleased with most of the appointees. Seem Conservative to me.

I have no problem with Trump's announced appointees thus far but if he nominates Romney for Sec. of State that will tell me all I need to know!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2016, 05:34:36 pm »

I have no problem with Trump's announced appointees thus far but if he nominates Romney for Sec. of State that will tell me all I need to know!

He got up and proudly called Donald Trump a phony and a fraud.

That would be hard for any man to get over.  I don't want Romney for the valid reasons, I'm sure, you have. 

It would be hard to reconcile the detente which Trump and Putin are seeking in dealing with ISIS and the Middle East, while Romney thinks Russia is our biggest threat.  How will Putin then treat Mitt Romney?

We all know that Trump and Putin will speak to each other on that 'Red Phone' frequently.

Trump says that you have to love what you are doing in life.   Let Romney fix Health Care system using Trump's plan as the Bible....for example, allowing companies to compete across State lines in writing policies/premiums.    He can come up with a safety net of sorts for those that might be without coverage during this 'phase'.   Add them to Medicaid.  TEMPORARILY.  LOL!

@Bigun ....did you watch any of that excellent program last evening on Donald Trump??  An hour long show where they also incorporated Harvey Levin's up close personal interview.

It that didn't bring a tear to your eye, they you should check for a pulse.     :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2016, 05:38:53 pm »
Trump says that you have to love what you are doing in life.   Let Romney fix Health Care system using Trump's plan as the Bible...
You want to put Mr. RomneyCare in charge of throwing out ObamaCare? Are you nuts?!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2016, 05:42:14 pm »
He got up and proudly called Donald Trump a phony and a fraud.

That would be hard for any man to get over.  I don't want Romney for the valid reasons, I'm sure, you have. 

It would be hard to reconcile the detente which Trump and Putin are seeking in dealing with ISIS and the Middle East, while Romney thinks Russia is our biggest threat.  How will Putin then treat Mitt Romney?

We all know that Trump and Putin will speak to each other on that 'Red Phone' frequently.

Trump says that you have to love what you are doing in life.   Let Romney fix Health Care system using Trump's plan as the Bible....for example, allowing companies to compete across State lines in writing policies/premiums.    He can come up with a safety net of sorts for those that might be without coverage during this 'phase'.   Add them to Medicaid.  TEMPORARILY.  LOL!

@Bigun ....did you watch any of that excellent program last evening on Donald Trump??  An hour long show where they also incorporated Harvey Levin's up close personal interview.

It that didn't bring a tear to your eye, they you should check for a pulse.     :laugh:

Didn't watch TV last night at all.  Last dinner guest didn't leave until around 11:00 and we went to bed promptly thereafter. 

John Bolton is the man for Sec. of State!  That whore's nest needs a thorough cleaning and he is just the man to get that done!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 05:52:53 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

geronl

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2016, 05:49:29 pm »

Big Government Liberal Republicans

will never get my support and that is what Trump has brought

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2016, 05:58:49 pm »

You forgot the quote marks around "Conservative".

I used to be a big supporter of NYCP (I helped them almost take the second line on the ballot away from the GOP), when I lived there.

But they've been pretty liberal lately.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2016, 07:01:01 pm »
You forgot the quote marks around "Conservative".

I used to be a big supporter of NYCP (I helped them almost take the second line on the ballot away from the GOP), when I lived there.

But they've been pretty liberal lately.
The problem with New York's minor parties is that individual party bosses have hijacked them. In the Conservative Party, that's Michael Long. There was another, the Independence Party, that is controlled by a guy named Frank MacKay. The Reform Party, which is the new one this year, just got hijacked by Curtis Sliwa. The minor parties around here have become part of the corrupted system they were designed to overthrow, and that's the main reason why I'm still a registered independent.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

HonestJohn

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2016, 09:38:08 pm »
What's FOS conservatives?

Field Or Stream?

:shrug:

geronl

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2016, 09:40:56 pm »
What's FOS conservatives?

It is the leftist way of saying 'f--- off social conservatives".

Trumpists hate social conservatives with a heated passion

HonestJohn

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2016, 09:51:14 pm »

Thank you for that.  I didn't know what the term meant.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2016, 09:53:39 pm »

With their love for Trump's trillion dollar spending plan its pretty clear they aren't too fond of fiscal conservatism either.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2016, 12:37:12 am »

Don't know about that.

I do know that it was social conservatives that stayed home in 2012, because he was not only too liberal, but a Mormon to boot.

And they've done everything possible...the ones that strayed too far to the right on 'principles', to keep defending their totally wrong assessment of the electorate.   

Now, a lot of them, rather than admit they may have been wrong about Trump, have chosen to become contrarians.

I respect anyone that criticizes Trump when it is warranted.   But I haven't seen anything, but a guy in absolute total control.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald