Author Topic: Trump disavows 'alt-right' supporters  (Read 1468 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Trump disavows 'alt-right' supporters
« on: November 22, 2016, 08:17:00 pm »
Finally, a good solid statement. Freepers won't be happy.

Donald Trump has repudiated the fringe "alt-right" group that celebrated his election win with Nazi salutes.

In a far-ranging interview with the New York Times, the US president-elect was quoted as saying: "I condemn them. I disavow, and I condemn."

He said he did not want to "energise" the group, which includes neo-Nazis, white nationalists and anti-Semites......

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38069469

geronl

Re: Trump disavows 'alt-right' supporters
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 08:18:00 pm »
They know he doesn't mean it.

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 08:22:24 pm »
Has TOS started to rationalize the interview?

Offline ABX

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 08:24:35 pm »
Has TOS started to rationalize the interview?

They are having a predictable reaction. Everything from:
"the great cave-in has begun" to "the alt-right is a fabricated term of the left" to "they are Soros plants anyway" to "White people can organize just like the Black Panthers".
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 08:25:08 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline chae

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 08:31:08 pm »
The threads over there about Trump not pursuing charges against Hilary are pretty entertaining.  They're spinning so much it's delightful! 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 08:34:09 pm »
Which site got this election right?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ABX

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 08:35:43 pm »

If you are looking at the technicalities of the EV versus popular, none really. FR was, for the most part, saying it was going to be a landslide in Trump's favor.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 08:49:10 pm »
If you are looking at the technicalities of the EV versus popular, none really. FR was, for the most part, saying it was going to be a landslide in Trump's favor.

I am talking about which site had the sentiment of the country right.

Offline ABX

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 08:50:57 pm »

At that, just to add to my last comment, if you look at our Election Prediction Thread- http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,229283.225.html
Versus FR's - http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/3459302/posts?page=1

Not only did we have a lot more diversity of opinion, we had a lot more come close to predicting the results here versus FR was over the top in their predictions.

Offline ABX

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 08:51:49 pm »

See my comment right above this, we were making a comment at almost the exact same time. But based on prediction threads, it seems even though we had a diversity of opinion on what would happen, we had it a lot closer here.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 08:52:13 pm »

I think it's played out more along what's been posted on TBR. TOS is just an echo chamber for Trump supporters. Threads on TBR have elicited a wider variety of sentiments.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 08:53:22 pm »

If you factor how close the popular vote was (and probably would have been either way, considering),
I'm not entirely sure TOS had the whole sentiment of the country right. Donaldus Minimus is not exactly
a president-elect with overwhelmingly popular acclaim, and neither would Hilarious Rodent Clinton have
been if she had won the electoral votes. That, I suspect, is what becomes of a presidential election in
which, for whatever perverse reasons, the two worst-qualified candidates in my lifetime were the major
parties' choices.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline ABX

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 08:55:30 pm »

Also, just because it is an interesting discussion, if you want to frame the question around sentiment of the country versus results, the sentiment of the country right now is very divided with a wide diversity of opinion, much like here. That would be another bonus prop to this site.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 08:55:35 pm »
Donald Trump has repudiated the fringe "alt-right" group that celebrated his election win with Nazi salutes.

In a far-ranging interview with the New York Times, the US president-elect was quoted as saying: "I condemn them. I disavow, and I condemn."

He said he did not want to "energise" the group, which includes neo-Nazis, white nationalists and anti-Semites......

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38069469

If this is true, it's fair to say it's about damn time, and better late than never.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 08:56:43 pm »
Also, just because it is an interesting discussion, if you want to frame the question around sentiment of the country versus results, the sentiment of the country right now is very divided with a wide diversity of opinion, much like here. That would be another bonus prop to this site.

The only echo chambers I ever liked were the ones used at Gold Star Studios (for the Phil Spector
Wall of Sound and for Brian Wilson's seminal mid-1960s recordings for the Beach Boys) and
at Chess in Chicago. ;)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 08:57:08 pm by EasyAce »

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2016, 09:25:59 pm »
If you factor how close the popular vote was (and probably would have been either way, considering),
I'm not entirely sure TOS had the whole sentiment of the country right. Donaldus Minimus is not exactly
a president-elect with overwhelmingly popular acclaim, and neither would Hilarious Rodent Clinton have
been if she had won the electoral votes. That, I suspect, is what becomes of a presidential election in
which, for whatever perverse reasons, the two worst-qualified candidates in my lifetime were the major
parties' choices.

Trump won 30 states, 306 electoral votes, and the net difference in popular vote comes from California.

Be defensive about the laughingly wrong sentiment on this site. I get that. The Deacon's home for the election cycle.

Own it.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2016, 09:36:30 pm »
Based on what I saw on the Pro Trump section of this site and a few predictions from Anti-Trump folks such as myself that said the hatred of Hillary would carry Trump through I'd say we weren't too far off here on TBR.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 10:08:53 pm by Idaho_Cowboy »
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2016, 10:06:48 pm »
Be defensive about the laughingly wrong sentiment on this site. I get that. The Deacon's home for the election cycle.

Own it.

I didn't predict the outcome one way or the other. I learned a long time ago that predictions are
futile for a) baseball games, and b) elections. And I don't deny that I despised both Donaldus
Minimus and Hilarious Rodent Clinton, and for one reason above and beyond any of the other
factors that made them barf bag worthy candidates---their inclination toward the State as the
alpha and omega of all human problem solving and the individual citizen as nothing.

Wherever the ultimate margin arose, we're talking about two candidates who were, neither one of
them, overwhelming popular favourites. Donaldus Minimus won the electoral vote fair and square,
under the rules. But to say he's the overwhelming popular national favourite is nonsense.