Author Topic: Trump won't pursue Clinton email investigation, report says  (Read 1812 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

Trump won't pursue Clinton email investigation, report says
« on: November 22, 2016, 02:59:59 pm »
SOURCE: ATLANTA JOURNAL CONSTITUTION

URL: http://www.ajc.com/news/national-govt--politics/trump-won-pursue-clinton-email-investigation-report-says/sNu4jo60WhyjchC55hgVSO/

Theresa Seiger  Cox Media Group National Content Desk

President-elect Donald Trump will not pursue an investigation into former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server or her family's foundation, according to a report from MSNBC.

Co-host Mika Brzezinski shared the news on "Morning Joe" Tuesday, citing an unidentified source within the campaign. Former Trump campaign manager Kellyanne Conway did not deny the report in an appearance on the show, saying the decision "sends a very strong message" to Republicans.

"I think when the president-elect, who's also the head of your party, tells you before he's even inaugurated that he doesn't wish to pursue these charges, it sends a very strong message,, former Trump campaign manager Kellyanne Conway said Tuesday.

"I think Hillary Clinton still has to face the fact that a majority of Americans don't find her honest or trustworthy," Conway said. "If Donald Trump can help her heal, then perhaps that's a good thing to do."

Clinton's use of a private email server was frequently highlighted as she and Trump vied for the White House ahead of Election Day. Clinton served as President Barack Obama's secretary of state from 2009 to 2013.

As the Republican presidential nominee, Trump pointed to the private server as an example of Clinton's lack of judgement and vowed to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate the situation if he were to win the election. Chants of "lock her up," were common at Trump rallies.

FBI Director James Comey in July acknowledged that Clinton and her staff "were extremely careless" in their use of a private server – used to send dozens of classified emails – but declined to press charges against her. There was no "clear evidence" that Clinton or her staff intended to break the law.

Offline SirLinksALot

Re: Trump won't pursue Clinton email investigation, report says
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 03:01:35 pm »
See also here:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/nov/22/donald-trump-wont-pursue-clinton-email-or-foundati/

Donald Trump won’t pursue Clinton email or foundation investigations as president

By David Sherfinski - The Washington Times - Tuesday, November 22, 2016

President-elect Donald Trump doesn’t want to pursue further investigations into Hillary Clinton once he takes office, Mr. Trump’s former campaign manager confirmed Tuesday.

“I think when the president-elect who’s also the head of your party now … tells you before he’s even inaugurated he doesn’t wish to pursue these charges, it sends a very strong message, tone and content to the members,” Trump transition official Kellyanne Conway said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.”

“And I think Hillary Clinton still has to face the fact that a majority of Americans don’t find her to be honest or trustworthy, but if Donald Trump can help her heal, then perhaps that’s a good thing,” Ms. Conway said.
“Look, I think he’s thinking of many different things as he prepares to become the president of the United States, and things that sound like the campaign aren’t among them,” she said.

The MSNBC program, citing an unnamed source, had reported Tuesday that Mr. Trump will not pursue investigations into Mrs. Clinton’s email setup or the Clinton Foundation.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 03:04:46 pm »
This from the Wall Street Journal:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-wont-push-for-investigations-of-hillary-clinton-aide-says-1479826097

Donald Trump Won’t Push for Investigations of Hillary Clinton, Aide Says
Move would be a reversal of campaign call for rival to be probed, jailed

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 03:05:48 pm »
If true it's a HUGE mistake IMHO!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 03:18:38 pm »
If true it's a HUGE mistake IMHO!

The investigation on Clinton's emails as it relates to classified info is already done I think, it's the CLINTON FOUNDATION that is still being probed, and the emails are still relevant regarding this.

The question I have is this -- is "won't pursue" the same as "will prevent"?

Trump will not seek it. But Will he prevent it?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 03:19:11 pm by SirLinksALot »

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 03:20:17 pm »
The investigation on Clinton's emails as it relates to classified info is already done I think, it's the CLINTON FOUNDATION that is still being probed, and the emails are still relevant regarding this.

The question I have is this -- is "won't pursue" the same as "will prevent"?

Trump will not seek it. But Will he prevent it?

Well, they can prevent federal investigations, but there's really nothing they can do to stop state investigations.  But I hope they don't stop either.  Let the evidence lead where it will without interference either way.

I'm not saying this is the case, but it would be funny as hell if Trump were only saying this to discourage Obama from pardoning Hillary or anyone else involved, and then reverses course after the Inauguration.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 03:21:29 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 03:20:35 pm »
Good move by Trump.   A political vendetta against a vanquished opponent accomplishes nothing but distract from the President's ambitious agenda.  If letting Clinton fade into retirement is the price to be paid for jump-starting economic growth, then I'm all for it.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 03:28:20 pm »
A political vendetta against a vanquished opponent accomplishes nothing but distract from the President's ambitious agenda.

I am very uncomfortable with calling this a political vendetta, as if no serious influence peddling crime were committed.

Lesser folks ( politicians not named "Clinton" ) have been prosecuted and indicted for something similar.

This country will be sending a very bad message if justice does not take its course.

I say, let Justice take its course and when she is found guilty, only then would it be the appropriate time to show mercy and pardon her.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 03:28:37 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 03:30:03 pm »
I am very uncomfortable with calling this a political vendetta, as if no serious influence peddling crime were committed.

Lesser folks ( politicians not named "Clinton" ) have been prosecuted and indicted for something similar.

This country will be sending a very bad message if justice does not take its course.

I say, let Justice take its course and when she is found guilty, only then would it be the appropriate time to show mercy and pardon her.

:amen:  Couldn't agree more!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 03:32:21 pm »
But but but . . . at the debate he said . . .
I stand with Roosgirl.

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 03:33:19 pm »
Good move by Trump.   A political vendetta against a vanquished opponent accomplishes nothing but distract from the President's ambitious agenda.  If letting Clinton fade into retirement is the price to be paid for jump-starting economic growth, then I'm all for it.   

Clinton won't fade into retirement.  She will simply morph into one more super-sized influence mechanism for the Clinton foundation. 

It's not a matter of a vendetta if it concerns pursuing legitimate matters of criminal conduct or violation of the tax rules for charities.  If Trump puts the kibosh on this, then it's clear he's nothing more than a Clinton tool. 

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 03:33:38 pm »
But but but . . . at the debate he said . . .

Bingo

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 03:46:57 pm »
Anyone who has paid attention to the multiple positions he's taken on various issues over his lifetime will not be terribly surprised about this.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 03:54:59 pm »
Clinton won't fade into retirement.  She will simply morph into one more super-sized influence mechanism for the Clinton foundation. 

It's not a matter of a vendetta if it concerns pursuing legitimate matters of criminal conduct or violation of the tax rules for charities.  If Trump puts the kibosh on this, then it's clear he's nothing more than a Clinton tool.

I really don't care.  Clinton's political career is over. Trump's is just beginning.  You may recall that Obama declined to prosecute departing Bush administration officials who had allegedly sanctioned torture.

I see absolutely nothing to be gained by putting the screws to Hillary Clinton following her humiliating defeat.  And a lot to lose if a perceived political vendetta poisons the well with folks in Congress that Trump needs to enact his agenda.   Does Hillary Clinton deserve mercy?  Probably not - but the nation needs a respite from the blunt-force partisanship of the last eight years.   This would be an easy gesture to promote reconciliation, for the good of the nation.       
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 03:57:09 pm »
"If I win, I am going to instruct my attorney general to get a special prosecutor to look into your situation. Because there has never been so many lies, so much deception, there has never been anything like it," - Donald Trump 10/09/2016

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2016, 04:06:27 pm »

It is the only way that the rule of law can return to this country and its citizens regain confidence in our government.

Otherwise, we are more like Mexico than the country we grew up in.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2016, 08:41:58 pm »
I really don't care.  Clinton's political career is over. Trump's is just beginning.  You may recall that Obama declined to prosecute departing Bush administration officials who had allegedly sanctioned torture.

I see absolutely nothing to be gained by putting the screws to Hillary Clinton following her humiliating defeat.  And a lot to lose if a perceived political vendetta poisons the well with folks in Congress that Trump needs to enact his agenda.   Does Hillary Clinton deserve mercy?  Probably not - but the nation needs a respite from the blunt-force partisanship of the last eight years.   This would be an easy gesture to promote reconciliation, for the good of the nation.     

This needs taken care of properly and I can tell you why in one word: Chelsea.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2016, 08:51:30 pm »

After running his campaign in large part on the slogan 'Lock her up!', if Trump backs off the well deserved investigation of Hillary, then nothing he said has any meaning. If he is willing to simply disregard a major goal of his campaign for the sake of some stupid, undefined, idea of 'helping her heal', then he is just as big a fraud and hypocrite as the NeverTrump fanatics always said he was.

We still cannot be sure that he will actually allow the Clintons to get away with theses crimes, as they have always gotten away in the past, but it certainly is not looking good at this point. I am still in the mode of wait and see, but if he does let Hillary walk, he will lose all respect from me. Then I will know that once again, just like all the other Republicans I have voted for, he is a liar just like all the rest.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2016, 09:01:44 pm »
This needs taken care of properly and I can tell you why in one word: Chelsea.

It doesn't necessarily stop there. Hillary also has two grandchildren .....

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2016, 09:03:01 pm »

We still cannot be sure that he will actually allow the Clintons to get away with theses crimes, as they have always gotten away in the past, but it certainly is not looking good at this point. I am still in the mode of wait and see, but if he does let Hillary walk, he will lose all respect from me. Then I will know that once again, just like all the other Republicans I have voted for, he is a liar just like all the rest.

Simple solution --- the FBI still has an ongoing investigation into the Clinton Foundation. Just LEAVE IT ALONE. Let them pursue it to its conclusion.