Author Topic: Democratic Rep. Tulsi Gabbard 'Under Serious Consideration' for Trump Cabinet  (Read 1093 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: ABC NEWS

URL: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/democratic-rep-tulsi-gabbard-consideration-trump-cabinet/story?id=43696303

by SHUSHANNAH WALSHE 

Democratic Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, a high-profile Bernie Sanders supporter during the Democratic primaries, is “under serious consideration” for various Cabinet positions in President-elect Donald Trump's administration, according to a senior official on the transition team.

According to the official, the 35-year-old Hawaii congresswoman is being looked as a candidate for secretary of state, secretary of defense or United Nations ambassador. If selected, Gabbard will be the first woman as well as the youngest pick for Trump's Cabinet.

She met with him this morning in his New York City offices at Trump Tower. The Trump transition source said that their sit-down was a “terrific meeting” and that the Trump team sees her as very impressive.

Gabbard, a progressive Democrat, has bucked her party in Congress and during the contentious Democratic primaries. In February she left her position as vice chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee to support Sanders. In the House she has broken with Democrats on the Syrian civil war (she supports keeping President Bashar al-Assad in power) and Syrian refugees (she voted for a GOP bill last year to conduct stricter background checks on refugees).

This afternoon she released a long statement on her meeting with Trump, saying he asked to meet with her about "our current policies regarding Syria, our fight against terrorist groups like al-Qaeda and ISIS, as well as other foreign policy challenges we face.” She said they had a “frank and positive conversation in which we discussed a variety of foreign policy issues in depth."

"I felt it important to take the opportunity to meet with the president-elect now before the drumbeats of war that neocons have been beating drag us into an escalation of the war to overthrow the Syrian government — a war which has already cost hundreds of thousands of lives and forced millions of refugees to flee their homes in search of safety for themselves and their families," she said in the statement, adding that she would not let politics get in the way of meeting with the president-elect. "I never have and never will play politics with American and Syrian lives."

She added that when she disagrees with Trump, "I will not hesitate to express that disagreement."

"However, I believe we can disagree, even strongly, but still come together on issues that matter to the American people and affect their daily lives. We cannot allow continued divisiveness to destroy our country … I shared with him my grave concerns that escalating the war in Syria by implementing a so-called no fly/safe zone would be disastrous for the Syrian people, our country and the world," she said. "It would lead to more death and suffering, exacerbate the refugee crisis, strengthen ISIS and al-Qaeda and bring us into a direct conflict with Russia, which could result in a nuclear war. We discussed my bill to end our country’s illegal war to overthrow the Syrian government and the need to focus our precious resources on rebuilding our own country and on defeating al-Qaeda, ISIS and other terrorist groups who pose a threat to the American people."

Offline GrouchoTex

Interesting, to say the least.

Offline SirLinksALot

A little background:

Tulsi Gabbard ( born April 12, 1981) is an American politician and member of the Democratic Party who has been the United States Representative for Hawaii’s 2nd congressional district since 2013. She was also a vice-chair of the Democratic National Committee until February 28, 2016, when she resigned in order to endorse Senator Bernie Sanders for the 2016 Democratic presidential nomination.

Elected in 2012, she is the first American Samoan and the first Hindu member of the United States Congress, and, along with Tammy Duckworth, one of its first female combat veterans.

Gabbard (then known as Tulsi Gabbard Tamayo) served in the Hawaii House of Representatives from 2002 to 2004, becoming the youngest woman in the United States to be elected to a state legislature at the time.

She returned from a deployment to Iraq in 2006 and worked for U.S. Senator Daniel Akaka, then volunteered for another deployment to the Middle East in 2009. After returning to Hawaii, she was elected to the Honolulu City Council, where she served from 2011 to 2012. In 2012, she ran for the open 2nd Congressional District seat and won the primary with 55% of the vote in an upset over former Honolulu Mayor Mufi Hannemann. She won the general election with 81% of the vote. In the House of Representatives, Gabbard serves on the Armed Services and Foreign Affairs committees. She is also a military police officer with the Hawaii Army National Guard.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 10:41:06 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline SirLinksALot

Interesting, to say the least.

Too Good Looking to be a Democrat....

Offline GrouchoTex

Too Good Looking to be a Democrat....

With everything I've read about her, I wonder why she is a democrat?

Well, she did work for the Bernie Sanders campaign, or at least, was a supporter of him.

That's the only real tie to the democrats I can find, but that is a big one.

Offline SirLinksALot

If the Trump team wants to consider a Democrat for "Bi-Partisan" reasons, then they might as well look into Jim Webb. At least the man did not support a Marxist like Bernie Sanders.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Well, she did work for the Bernie Sanders campaign, or at least, was a supporter of him.

I was wondering the same thing.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Other than being very liberal on almost all the issues?
http://www.ontheissues.org/House/Tulsi_Gabbard.htm

Offline Vulcan

"I probably identify more as Democrat." ~Lifelong liberal Donny Trump

Offline bolobaby

This woman has no place in a conservative administration, with the possible exception of being an ambassador somewhere, which is really just a figurehead appointment more than anything else.

I have to think Donald is just doing it so he can ogle her.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline libertybele

This woman has no place in a conservative administration, with the possible exception of being an ambassador somewhere, which is really just a figurehead appointment more than anything else.

I have to think Donald is just doing it so he can ogle her.

No one knows what Trump is going to do. He may very well place DEMS in his cabinet. If he does I don't expect that he will do anything that he stated he was going to do in order to get elected.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline GrouchoTex

Other than being very liberal on almost all the issues?
http://www.ontheissues.org/House/Tulsi_Gabbard.htm

Thanks for that.
I'd only heard that she was pro-military, up until now.
Hadn't heard much else, other than the Bernie thing.

Offline Longmire

Gabbard would have an impact as head of the VA which she has been a staunch critic of.

She checks off several boxes on the diversity list as well.

No wonder Scott Brown sounded po'ed the other day...