Author Topic: Obama Admin Fines Police Department For Not Hiring Non-Citizens  (Read 1320 times)

rangerrebew

Obama Admin Fines Police Department For Not Hiring Non-Citizens
« on: November 22, 2016, 11:28:00 am »
Obama Admin Fines Police Department For Not Hiring Non-Citizens
Photo of Blake Neff
Blake Neff
Reporter
10:40 PM 11/21/2016

Lewiston Police Chief Michael Bussiere is reflected in a display of police badges while being interviewed by Reuters in Lewiston, Maine June 1, 2015. REUTERS/Brian Snyder   Lewiston Police Chief Michael Bussiere is reflected in a display of police badges while being interviewed by Reuters in Lewiston, Maine June 1, 2015. REUTERS/Brian Snyder

Denver County’s sheriff office has been slapped with a fine by the Department of Justice (DOJ) because it refused to hire non-citizens as deputies.

From the beginning of 2015 through last March, the Denver Sheriff Department went on a major hiring binge, adding more than 200 new deputies. But those jobs ended up only going to citizens, because the department made citizenship a stated requirement on the job application. The department admitted as much in a new settlement with the U.S. government, which requires it to pay a $10,000 fine.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/11/21/obama-admin-fines-police-department-for-not-hiring-non-citizens/#ixzz4QjhF3DNG

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Obama Admin Fines Police Department For Not Hiring Non-Citizens
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 11:34:44 am »
So yeah, great example of why Trump won right here.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 02:39:07 pm »
So yeah, great example of why Trump won right here.
Yeah. Obama and his idiotic Department of Just-us deserve some of the credit or blame, however one might view it. They overreached just a bit too much, and flyover country said, "Enough!"
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 02:48:25 pm »
The problem appears to be less Obama's DOJ, and more the dope-smoking losers in Colorado:

Under the Immigration and Nationality Act, employers are required to give equal treatment to non-citizens with valid work permits, unless state, local, or federal law explicitly requires certain jobs be open only to citizens. More than 40 U.S. states currently have laws that in some capacity restrict non-citizens from being police, but Colorado is not one of them. The department says it was simply unaware that limiting employment to citizens was a violation of federal law.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/11/21/obama-admin-fines-police-department-for-not-hiring-non-citizens/#ixzz4QkVn5ZfX

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 02:56:54 pm »
The problem appears to be less Obama's DOJ, and more the dope-smoking losers in Colorado:

Under the Immigration and Nationality Act, employers are required to give equal treatment to non-citizens with valid work permits, unless state, local, or federal law explicitly requires certain jobs be open only to citizens. More than 40 U.S. states currently have laws that in some capacity restrict non-citizens from being police, but Colorado is not one of them. The department says it was simply unaware that limiting employment to citizens was a violation of federal law.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/11/21/obama-admin-fines-police-department-for-not-hiring-non-citizens/#ixzz4QkVn5ZfX

Oh for petes sake, I would think citizenship would be a default requirement for law enforcement jobs.  And I would think the DOJ could just enlighten the Denver Police Dept without a fine.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 03:10:15 pm »
Oh for petes sake, I would think citizenship would be a default requirement for law enforcement jobs.  And I would think the DOJ could just enlighten the Denver Police Dept without a fine.

In all honestly, here's what likely happened:

Someone who applied for a job likely filed a complaint with a local federal agency -- maybe DOL or something.  Someone there recognized the issue, and it got sent up to the U.S. Attorney's office.

This is kind of an open and shut matter in which the DOJ just levies the fine specified in the regs/law.  Department just screwed up, and that's what happens.  Even if it was a Republican DOJ, the result would likely have been the same -- it's simply too cut and dried to spin any other way.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 03:14:11 pm »
Why is it against federal law to restrict LEO's to being citizens?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 03:22:32 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 03:19:54 pm »
There is zero authority in this country for a federal agency to go after a local entity like that.

A measure for the state perhaps, but certainly not some bureaucrat in DC to worry about.

The feds need a spanking at times by a state.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 03:57:54 pm »
There is zero authority in this country for a federal agency to go after a local entity like that.

That would have been the case until the passage of the 14th Amendment, which gave the feds the power to ensure that states did not violate certain rights.

I'd agree that the federal law is damn stupid in the first place, but it's been around for a long time.  I bumped into it in a case back in the 90's.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 04:09:47 pm »
That would have been the case until the passage of the 14th Amendment, which gave the feds the power to ensure that states did not violate certain rights.

I'd agree that the federal law is damn stupid in the first place, but it's been around for a long time.  I bumped into it in a case back in the 90's.

Agreed.   Guess I should have said there should be zero authority
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

geronl

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 06:59:28 pm »
The Federal Government has no business micro-managing local police departments

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 01:49:29 am »
The intention, Denver officials said, was benevolent.

The Denver Sheriff’s Department set out to hire scores of deputies last year to lessen the burden on its staff and cut millions in overtime.

It advertised for prospects, and included U.S. citizenship as a requirement.

By this past spring, it had hired 200 deputies.

The Justice Department did not congratulate the agency – instead, it slapped Colorado’s largest sheriff’s department with a $10,000 fine and a host of steps it must take to address what was described as discriminatory hiring.

In a summary of the settlement on its website, the Justice Department said that in insisting on citizenship, the Denver Sheriff’s Department violated an anti-discrimination provision in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) that forbids employers from hiring only U.S. citizens except in cases where it is mandated “by law, regulation, executive order or government contract.”

The Justice Department said that the opportunity to work for the department should be open to anyone with the necessary skills who is authorized to be employed in the United States. That could be a legal permanent resident who has not naturalized, for example, or someone on a temporary visa who has a work permit.

In a statement, the Denver agency said it would abide by the ruling.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/11/22/denver-sheriffs-department-fined-10k-for-hiring-only-us-citizens.html
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!