Author Topic: Pence backs trillion-dollar infrastructure bill, says America 'elected a CEO'  (Read 8103 times)

Online DB

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/11/22/pence-backs-trillion-dollar-infrastructure-bill-says-america-elected-ceo.html

Vice President-elect Mike Pence Monday outlined the agenda for President-elect Donald Trump's first 100 days in office and explained how Congress could pay for a $1 trillion infrastructure plan.

"There’s a lot of ways to get to that trillion dollars," Pence told Fox News' Sean Hannity on "Hannity." "Utilizing public and private partnerships, utilizing bonding authority and enlisting private capital, there’s ways that you can do this that are gonna be fiscally responsible, but also give us the resources that we need to rebuild America."

Online DB

Sigh...

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
"There’s a lot of ways to get to that trillion dollars," Pence told Fox News' Sean Hannity on "Hannity." "Utilizing public and private partnerships, utilizing bonding authority and enlisting private capital, there’s ways that you can do this that are gonna be fiscally responsible, but also give us the resources that we need to rebuild America."

That's some nice doublespeak there

Online DB

Yep. So instead of lightening the load on the tax paying public and business to improve things were going to add to the load with more debt and taxes. Yah... Shovel Ready 2.0...

Offline Cripplecreek

Yep. So instead of lightening the load on the tax paying public and business to improve things were going to add to the load with more debt and taxes. Yah... Shovel Ready 2.0...

What we call cronyism when democrats do it is what we call a public private partnership when republicans do it.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Trump truly built his wealth, is generous.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 11:35:02 am by TomSea »

Oceander

Trump truly built his wealth, is generous.

Bullshit.  If Trump had simply invested the money he got from daddy in an index mutual fund he would be richer than he is now.  That is a proven fact.  Trump is an economic loser, not a "generous" father figure. 

Online libertybele

Unfortunately Trump supporters didn't pay attention.  This is something Trump had stated throughout his campaign; his mention of utilizing public and private partnerships, enlisting private capital, private tolls roads, etc., shouldn't come as a surprise. I saw this one coming awhile ago. I have no doubt that he will renegotiate NAFTA, and when he rebuilds and adds to the infrastructure; highways, bridges, toll roads, etc.,  (NAFTA Superhighway, Trans Texas Corridor ring a bell?) moving goods and services between Mexico, and Canada with the U.S. being the center hub he and his buddies like Giuliani and Christie (toll roads, bridges  and partnerships) stand to make millions if not billions ... they will form and be part of the partnerships that own the toll roads, highways, etc., etc. 

I have always stated that Trump didn't venture into becoming president because of his patriotism. He will rebuild America and he will become even wealthier and even more powerful.  As Pence stated, America elected a CEO...why would his supporters expect a different outcome?  Sure he'll build the wall, but not for the reason his supporters thought ... and yes,  Mexico is going to pay for it. He's going to 'expand' this country and create jobs  and bring jobs back to this country but not in the way his supporters had thought.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 01:05:24 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Frank Cannon

Sorry. Wrong answer Mike. The correct answer is the one your man Donny stated where he said he was going to borrow until we couldn't borrow anymore and then default. What you gave here is unintelligible garbage to spin away from the official Donny answer.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 01:28:43 pm by Frank Cannon »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Infrastructure spending within the context of growth-oriented tax and regulatory reforms can finally get this economy moving again.   I think that's the combination that Trump and Ryan will collaborate on, and it could be a winner, if - and it's a big if -  Trump doesn't ruin it all with his protectionist nonsense. 

The UK yesterday signaled the start of a war to lower corporate tax rates,  proposing a drop to 17%.   We should see that and raise it to 15%,  and let companies repatriate foreign earnings stateside for a bargain rate of 10%.  Couple that with regulatory relief and the increased tax revenues from the resulting growth (including the one-time spike from the repatriation tax) can pay for the bulk of the infrastructure spending.

Why the infrastructure spending?  Well, in part, to gain the Democratic support needed to obtain the tax and regulatory relief,  intelligently fix the Affordable Care Act ,  and address Medicaid spending by means of block grants to the states.           

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 01:29:42 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online libertybele

Infrastructure spending within the context of growth-oriented tax and regulatory reforms can finally get this economy moving again.   I think that's the combination that Trump and Ryan will collaborate on, and it could be a winner, if - and it's a big if -  Trump doesn't ruin it all with his protectionist nonsense. 

The UK yesterday signaled the start of a war to lower corporate tax rates,  proposing a drop to 17%.   We should see that and raise it to 15%,  and let companies repatriate foreign earnings stateside for a bargain rate of 10%.  Couple that with regulatory relief and the increased tax revenues from the resulting growth (including the one-time spike from the repatriation tax) can pay for the bulk of the infrastructure spending.

Why the infrastructure spending?  Well, in part, to gain the Democratic support needed to obtain the tax and regulatory relief,  intelligently fix the Affordable Care Act ,  and address Medicaid spending by means of block grants to the states.         

My hunch is he's already getting some Democratic support; there will be DEMS involved in the 'partnerships' needed to rebuild our infrastructure.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Longmire

Bullshit.  If Trump had simply invested the money he got from daddy in an index mutual fund he would be richer than he is now. 

I like it when posters preface their remarks with a description of what follows.

That is a proven fact.  Trump is an economic loser, not a "generous" father figure.

:silly:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Pence's "lots of way to get there" comment is interesting.  Considering he mentioned bonds, I wonder if that $1T he's talking about might include state spending as well.  And, while I think most of us may have been assuming $1T spent in a chunk, perhaps they're referring to spending over a longer period.

As a point of reference, in 2014 the Feds spent nearly $100B on infrastructure, and state and local governments added $320B.

http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/234342-cbo-feds-spent-96b-on-infrastructure-in-2014

Bannon's $1T figure freaked me out as much as anyone, but given Pence's comments, I'm now willing to wait a bit to see exactly what that means.  Maybe Pence and Congressional leaders have pushed back on that number as a chunk, and are working on something less on an annual basis.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 02:21:08 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Rivergirl

Drain the swamp and replace with alligators loyal to the pres.

Offline Cripplecreek

Drain the swamp and replace with alligators loyal to the pres.

I suppose if I were a Trump supporter, I would also have to convince myself that a new trillion dollar spending plan was a good idea.

The only other option is that I would be forced to admit that I was dumb enough to buy the snake oil that Captain Clownhair was slingin.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
I suppose if I were a Trump supporter, I would also have to convince myself that a new trillion dollar spending plan was a good idea.

The only other option is that I would be forced to admit that I was dumb enough to buy the snake oil that Captain Clownhair was slingin.

The reality is that our nation has a lot of unsafe bridges and crappy roads.  People die every day because of the inadequate roads.  As long as it isn't a pure welfare program and doesn't involve high speed rail just exactly what is the problem with spending money here in the US rather then sending it to China or some other country?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

I'm not a Trump supporter,  but I sure as heck want to see economic growth and am willing to support a grand bargain to get there.  Infrastructure spending may be the key to making progress on a host of other growth-centric reforms.

There's a reason the markets are soaring these days.   It isn't support for Trump per se, but for the promise of the end of gridlock in Washington.    If Trump represents the triumph of pragmatism over blunt-force ideology,  I'm willing to listen with ears wide open.     
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 02:49:08 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Cripplecreek

The reality is that our nation has a lot of unsafe bridges and crappy roads.  People die every day because of the inadequate roads.  As long as it isn't a pure welfare program and doesn't involve high speed rail just exactly what is the problem with spending money here in the US rather then sending it to China or some other country?

Pathetic and cowardly.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Pathetic and cowardly.

@Cripplecreek

You really are an ASS.   You want to argue just to argue, just another worthless person who glorifies in being negative and tearing down other people.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online libertybele

@Cripplecreek

You really are an ASS.   You want to argue just to argue, just another worthless person who glorifies in being negative and tearing down other people.

Perhaps we all need to remember to be respectful towards one another. The name-calling and personal insults are not welcome. I've been a member of this forum for awhile and have found that this forum is usually above the rest for a reason. I'd like to see it stay that way.

Offline Cripplecreek

Perhaps we all need to remember to be respectful towards one another. The name-calling and personal insults are not welcome. I've been a member of this forum for awhile and have found that this forum is usually above the rest for a reason. I'd like to see it stay that way.

And I'd like to see conservatives have the courage to be conservative but courage seems to be very lacking in the Trumpenreich.

Offline Longmire

Good question...

Offline musiclady

@Cripplecreek

@Cripplecreek is a "worthless person" because he doesn't agree with you about Trump, @driftdiver ?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Interesting response from Bernie that sheds some light on this.  He criticizes Trump's plan as "corporate welfare", but apparently reveals at least one part of the funding mechanism:

Let’s Rebuild our Infrastructure, Not Provide Tax Breaks to Big Corporations and Wall Street

...During the presidential campaign, Donald Trump correctly talked about rebuilding our country’s infrastructure. But the plan he offered is a scam that gives massive tax breaks to large companies and billionaires on Wall Street who are already doing phenomenally well. Trump would allow corporations that have stashed their profits overseas to pay just a fraction of what the companies owe in federal taxes. And then he would allow the companies to “invest” in infrastructure projects in exchange for even more tax breaks. Trump’s plan is corporate welfare coming and going....

https://medium.com/senator-bernie-sanders/lets-rebuild-our-infrastructure-not-provide-tax-breaks-to-big-corporations-and-wall-street-f7d3ab463717#.wa5d28tuz

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 03:13:22 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline musiclady

And I'd like to see conservatives have the courage to be conservative but courage seems to be very lacking in the Trumpenreich.

It's been fascinating to observe how many Trump supporters jump quickly to name calling when you don't support their feelings about a politician.

Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.