Author Topic: Authorities: 6 killed in horrific Tenn. school bus crash - CBS/AP  (Read 2387 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
CBS/AP November 21, 2016, 5:39 PM
Authorities: 6 killed in horrific Tenn. school bus crash

Last Updated Nov 21, 2016 7:43 PM EST

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. -- The district attorney said six people died in an elementary school bus crash on Monday.

Hamilton County District Attorney Neal Pinkston told media outlets that five people were killed at the scene and one died at the hospital. Melydia Clewell, spokeswoman for the district attorney, confirmed the number.

Police say the ages of the students ranged from kindergarten through fifth grade.

Chattanooga Police Chief Fred Fletcher said 35 students were on board on the bus when it crashed, according toCBS Chattanooga affiliate WDEF.  At a news conference, Fletcher said that the bus was the only vehicle involved.

The Chattanooga Fire Department’s Public Information Director, Bruce Garner, said in a tweet that 23 patients were taken to hospitals in ambulances.

Continued: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/police-chief-bus-carrying-35-students-crashes-in-tennessee/

Oceander

Re: Authorities: 6 killed in horrific Tenn. school bus crash - CBS/AP
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 01:18:20 am »
Here's a picture from the news story:

That's insane.  Is there any info on what happened?  It takes a lot for a bus to turn over on its side and still have enough momentum to wrack itself on a tree.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 01:29:13 am »
Here's a picture from the news story:

That's insane.  Is there any info on what happened?  It takes a lot for a bus to turn over on its side and still have enough momentum to wrack itself on a tree.

There's really not much to a bus on the top side.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 02:19:03 am »
We are all required to wear seatbelts in our cars, but not for kids on a school bus.  That needs to change.  Bet it would have saved some lives. 

God bless the kids and their family's.  Also, I pray for the bus driver....how can he ever get over this.....

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 02:41:36 am »
There's really not much to a bus on the top side.

That's true.  It's basically just a fiberglass shell on top.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 03:42:28 am »
Deepest sympathies, prayers and condolences to the families of those lost and prayers for those who survived...sad. 
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 11:43:54 am »
Tennessee bus driver charged in crash that left 6 dead, including 5 children

A Tennessee school bus driver was arrested and faces charges including vehicular homicide in a deadly crash that killed at least six people, including five children, police said in a news conference late Monday.

Chattanooga police Chief Fred Fletcher said that 24-year-old Johnthony Walker was charged with five counts of vehicular homicide. Walker was also charged with reckless driving and reckless endangerment.

Fletcher called the afternoon crash “every public safety professional’s worst nightmare.” He said earlier that investigators were looking at speed “very, very strongly” as a factor in the accident.

Continued: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/11/22/tennessee-bus-driver-charged-in-crash-that-left-6-dead-including-5-children.html

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 01:23:06 pm »
I just saw this story. Prayers for the families involved.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 01:51:56 pm »
School bus driver, 24, is arrested after five elementary students are killed and 23 are injured in Tennessee crash that saw the vehicle leave the road at speed and wrap around a tree

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3958966/At-12-elementary-students-died-23-injured-school-bus-crashed-wrapped-tree.html#ixzz4QiqjNKlT
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 02:35:32 pm »
Horrible.  **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline TomSea

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 02:37:55 pm »
24 years old is pretty young to be driving a school bus; never mind whatever else about the individual.

I don't think he could have gotten the job in a lot of other places. How well did they screen?  Maybe he has a clean record but I definitely wonder.

Whatever happened to wanting someone who looked "clean cut". I think that would be a strike against him. Same if he was white but looked all shaggy.

I've got to believe he might have been drinking or smoking something.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 02:39:07 pm by TomSea »

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 02:52:27 pm »
24 years old is pretty young to be driving a school bus; never mind whatever else about the individual.

I don't think he could have gotten the job in a lot of other places. How well did they screen?  Maybe he has a clean record but I definitely wonder.

Whatever happened to wanting someone who looked "clean cut". I think that would be a strike against him. Same if he was white but looked all shaggy.

I've got to believe he might have been drinking or smoking something.

I agree. I began to harbor doubts as soon as I saw his name.  My kids went to grade school and high school in Chattanooga.  They still live there.  This area is Brainard an older working class neighborhood with some very upper middle class mixed in.

I was in a panic until I reached my daughter and learned my grandson was safe.  At first there was no reporting on which school the children were from.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 02:54:32 pm »
We are all required to wear seatbelts in our cars, but not for kids on a school bus.  That needs to change.  Bet it would have saved some lives. 

God bless the kids and their family's.  Also, I pray for the bus driver....how can he ever get over this.....

Agree on all counts.  Seat belts on school buses ought to be a no-brainer. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline musiclady

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 02:54:41 pm »

I agree, but I think the reason is that they can get the kids out faster if they aren't belted.

Praying for these dear children and their families.

This is awful........ 
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 02:54:55 pm »
Very sad for the families.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2016, 02:59:45 pm »
I agree. I began to harbor doubts as soon as I saw his name.  My kids went to grade school and high school in Chattanooga.  They still live there.  This area is Brainard an older working class neighborhood with some very upper middle class mixed in.

I was in a panic until I reached my daughter and learned my grandson was safe.  At first there was no reporting on which school the children were from.

When I was a kid all of our school bus drivers were local people who drove the buses for years. My mom said that when she was in school there were a couple of high school seniors who drove the final miles to outlying areas where they lived. It made economic sense in our large rural district.

Offline rodamala

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2016, 04:35:35 pm »
We are all required to wear seatbelts in our cars, but not for kids on a school bus.  That needs to change.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2016, 02:37:21 pm »
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/chattanooga-school-bus-crash-mother-jasmine-mateen-driver-johnthony-walker-asked-children-if-they-were-ready-to-die/

------

There's stories out that this driver asked the kids if they were ready to die.  Very sad.  What can one say?

Oh, and I also heard the driver was not insured, perhaps things will come to light to show besides that, he shouldn't have been behind the wheel. The poor children.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2016, 02:42:38 pm »

Thanks, I've been to those places, they are great. Orangeburg, Chattanooga. Great country.

Oceander

Offline raml

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2016, 05:08:49 pm »
On the news this morning it was said that the driver's license was suspended after an accident earlier in the year. They obviously didn't do a proper job checking out his past record. He was hired after the suspension.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2016, 05:53:24 pm »
What we know: Around 3:30 p.m. Monday, a school bus carrying 37 children slammed into a tree, flipped over and split apart. Families are mourning the five killed, and several children remain hospitalized in intensive care. The driver has been charged with vehicular homicide and reckless driving. Authorities say the bus was exceeding the 30-mph speed limit.

What we don't know: How fast was the bus going? Why did the bus crash? What, if anything, affected the driver? What could have prevented the crash?
Investigators say they have a great deal of evidence to compile and process, including videos and interviews with the children and other witnesses. Investigators will also review videos from the two cameras on the bus -- one rear-facing and one forward-facing -- and an informational box on the bus to determine what caused the crash.  ...

What we know: Walker received his commercial driving license in April, according to the NTSB.
In September, Walker was driving a school bus when he hit another vehicle, causing minor damage. The accident report cited Walker for "failure to yield right of way." The driver in the other vehicle, in an interview with the Chattanooga Times Free Press, alleged that the school bus went through a stop sign and scraped her car. Also in 2013, Walker was cited for failure to show proof of insurance. His driver's license was suspended for three weeks. It was reinstated in late March 2014, according to state records.

What we don't know: What kind of vetting and training did Walker go through to become a school bus driver? How did the bus company investigate the September incident that Walker was involved in? Have there been prior complaints or issues reported about his driving to the company?   ...

More at CNN
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2016, 11:01:17 pm »
I'm guessing this guy was a contract driver?

I know a lot of school districts no longer maintain and operate their own fleet of buses

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2016, 06:48:46 am »

Prayers up for everyone involved, and their families. I asked about seat belts once and was told the frame could not take the weight of a capacity load of kids bolted to it in the event of a collision, and the body would separate and/or be torn open.
Plus, in some places, you'd have to keep the kids from beating each other with cut off belts, using them as ligatures, etc.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2016, 08:18:20 am »
A related artiicle:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/chattanooga-school-bus-crash-mother-jasmine-mateen-driver-johnthony-walker-asked-children-if-they-were-ready-to-die/

Please note that at least one mother says she complained about this driver before.