Author Topic: Retired Marine Gen. John Kelly eyed for potential role in Trump administration  (Read 538 times)

rangerrebew

Retired Marine Gen. John Kelly eyed for potential role in Trump administration

By: Jeff Schogol, November 20, 2016 (Photo Credit: Senior Master Sgt. Adrian Cadiz/DoD)
It appears that retired Marine Gen. John Kelly is being considered to play a key role in the Trump administration, possibly as secretary of state.

Kelly, former head of U.S. Southern Command, was scheduled to meet with President-elect Donald Trump on Sunday, Politico reported.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/articles/retired-marine-gen-john-kelly-eyed-for-potential-trump-administration-role
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 12:43:20 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Retired Marine Gen. John Kelly eyed for potential role in Trump administration

By: Jeff Schogol, November 20, 2016 (Photo Credit: Senior Master Sgt. Adrian Cadiz/DoD)
It appears that retired Marine Gen. John Kelly is being considered to play a key role in the Trump administration, possibly as secretary of state.

Kelly, former head of U.S. Southern Command, was scheduled to meet with President-elect Donald Trump on Sunday, Politico reported.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/articles/retired-marine-gen-john-kelly-eyed-for-potential-trump-administration-role

I served with him pretty closely when we were both Tactics Instructors in Quantico, and he's the finest officer I've ever known personally.

But I don't think he'll take a position.  He's a pretty big believer in generals staying apolitical even after retirement.  My guess is that he was someone recommended by both Keane and Mattis as someone Trump should talk to, and would be meeting with Trump out of courtesy/respect for a President elect.

But maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, and he'll get a position of substance.