Author Topic: Blow It Up: Inflatable Space Station Habitat Shows Promise in Early Tests  (Read 1180 times)

Offline kevindavis007

An inflatable space habitat that could save weight and volume on future missions is showing how well it can do its job. The verdict: So far, it works, and that gives the habitat a better chance of being part of future space efforts. 

Called the Bigelow Expandable Activity Module, or BEAM, the habitat is an inflatable spheroid made of fabric that starts off folded into a shape like a flattish cone with the top cut off. It was originally launched to the International Space Station (ISS) on April 8. 

The first tests were in May. Crewmembers aboard the ISS expanded BEAM, using low pressure, and then allowed the air tanks inside the habitat to open and pressurize it to the same level as the space station — approximately one atmosphere.

Sensors inside the BEAM checked the module's temperature and how well its structure was responding to pressure. Astronauts didn't enter the BEAM until June, though, as there were extensive checks for leaks. (They found none.) NASA astronaut Jeff Williams was the first to enter the BEAM, and he added extra sensors to monitor the atmosphere inside it.

So far, NASA and BEAM's builder, Las Vegas-based company Bigelow Aerospace, say that the module is performing as expected. Besides offering extra space, it also provides protection from radiation that's similar to what's offered by the other modules on the ISS, NASA officials said.

Read More: http://www.isn-news.net/2016/11/blow-it-up-inflatable-space-station.html

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Oceander

Re: Blow It Up: Inflatable Space Station Habitat Shows Promise in Early Tests
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 02:14:51 am »
I just can't help it, my inner sophmore just has to try and get out when it sees "blow" and "inflatable" together!

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 02:16:40 am »
I just can't help it, my inner sophmore just has to try and get out when it sees "blow" and "inflatable" together!

It is hard not too..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 02:33:19 am »

Was it what you expected?

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 03:08:25 am »

Was it what you expected?

no-o-o-o-o-o ....

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 03:14:10 am »