Author Topic: Are Bannon’s Critics For Real? Inventor of term "Alt Right" explains why Bannon critics are full of hot air.  (Read 882 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Are Bannon’s Critics For Real?
Inventor of term "Alt Right" explains why Bannon critics are full of hot air.

November 18, 2016  Paul Gottfried

I’m beginning this commentary on the recent assaults on Steve Bannon by quoting my response to questions that a CNN-Digital reporter asked me concerning President-elect Trump’s friend and adviser:

There’s no indication that Steve Bannon, the Breitbart executive and Donald Trump adviser, who has been characterized as a white nationalist, is a racist or anti-Semite. Bannon is not a white identitarian or race realist. He comes from the world of Washington politics and journalism, not white identity politics. Although I don’t know the man, I doubt Bannon hangs out with people who burn crosses on other people’s lawns.

I expressed this view, more or less, not only to CNN-Digital. I also expressed it in a phone-call marathon to representatives of a Danish daily and the Jewish Forward and, in an hour and a half German conversation, with an editor of the German conservative weekly Junge Freiheit. In all these exchanges I had to answer the question of whether Steve Bannon was in fact an anti-Semite and racist, a judgment that was coming from, among others, such exemplary American “conservatives” as Glenn Beck, Jonah Goldberg, and writers for the Wall Street Journal. I was also asked whether as the co-inventor of the term “Alternative Right,” which has now been shortened to “Altright,” I could tell if Bannon, who likes the term in question, enjoys the company of “white nationalists.”

I tried to explain that the exceedingly elastic term “Altright” has been claimed by a number of groups that belong to the non-establishment Right. All those on the Right who are at war with the GOP establishment and neoconservative politics and who are combatting PC with particular ferocity have embraced the designation “Altright.” This is especially true of Millennials who scorn establishmentarian positions.  But it’s not at all clear to me that those who write for Bannon’s website publication, some of whom are Orthodox Jews, have much to do with white identitarians who also use the term “Altright.” I would doubt that these writers go out to drink with the Philonazi blogger Matt Heimbach, who also claims the Altright moniker.

Continued At: http://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/264872/are-bannons-critics-real-paul-gottfried

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Sounds like David Horowitz's Front Page Mag is claiming this Paul Gottfried coined the term "alt-right"; so in this and as said in the article, it's fairly unclear what its meaning is.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

That as awesome.  I actually read the next 3 paragraphs where the author pointed out there are even bigger racists than Bannon.  What a trendy tried and true defense.  With hysterically funny writing like this,
It's surprising so many people are shocked to find FPM still in existence.

Offline Frank Cannon

Bannon is human debris. I root for his untimely demise every day.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 04:12:11 am by Frank Cannon »

Online DB

Bannon is human debris. I root for his untimely demise every day.

I hope I never really piss you off...