Author Topic: AT&T Sets DirecTV Now Launch Event for Nov. 28  (Read 2848 times)

Offline kevindavis007

AT&T Sets DirecTV Now Launch Event for Nov. 28
« on: November 18, 2016, 11:15:24 pm »

AT&T announced that it is holding a DirecTV Now launch event Monday, Nov. 28, in New York City, where it will unveil more details about the new internet-delivered TV service that promises to shake up the industry with an aggressive pricing strategy.

AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson last month announced a $35 starting price point for DirecTV Now, and said the over-the-top bundle will include more than 100 channels. Premium channels including HBO and Starz also will be available.

While AT&T doesn’t position DirecTV Now as a “skinny bundle” — especially compared with Dish Network’s lower-priced Sling TV, which starts with about 30 channels — the service is priced considerably lower than traditional pay-TV packages and will come with certain restrictions (like providing only one stream per account).

The telco has held its cards close to the vest ahead of DirecTV Now’s official launch. But according to documents viewed by Variety, AT&T is planning to offer various sign-up incentives to recruit subscribers. Customers who commit to three months of the service will get a free Apple TV (worth $150), while those who pay for one month will receive an Amazon Fire TV Stick ($35).

The DirecTV Now documents also revealed that many networks will support a 72-hour “catch-up window” to let users watch shows from the past three days; ESPN is among the networks excluded from the replay feature but customers can log in to WatchESPN to view select past programming. DirecTV Now also will include a video-on-demand library of up to 14,000 titles. (AT&T has declined to comment.)

“If you can bring a compelling price point and a compelling content package and some innovation with it,” Stephenson told analysts on AT&T’s third-quarter 2016 earnings call, “we are absolutely convinced that this is going to be very, very attractive for a large group of customers who really aren’t even in the market today.”

Sony’s PlayStation Vue is also a player in the over-the-top pay-TV segment, while Hulu plans to debut a live TV service in early 2017 and Google’s YouTube is assembling a service it is calling YouTube Unplugged.

Source: http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/att-directv-now-launch-nov-28-1201921813/

Time to cut the cord.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: AT&T Sets DirecTV Now Launch Event for Nov. 28
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 11:33:14 pm »
Kinda hard to have much faith in them being competitive.

I switched from Comcast to Direct TV and my bills still are paid to AT&T.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 11:36:40 pm »
Kinda hard to have much faith in them being competitive.

I switched from Comcast to Direct TV and my bills still are paid to AT&T.
THis reminds me, I'm post contract on two phones with AT&T, texts come in whenever (up to two weeks after they were sent), and it is rare that a simple phone call goes through.

It is time to switch carriers. They forgot just why I had a phone. To make phone calls.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 11:49:50 pm »
I'm ditching Direct TV Satellite. I'm paying a lot of money for something I don't use or watch.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 12:14:34 am »
We ditched DirectTV satellite about a year ago, we also were paying for something we just didn't use.  The imp watches 30 minutes of some kind of educational show in the morning along the lines of Mister Rogers, PBS Word World, etc. via Amazon Prime and the few shows I watch are either Prime or I will pay for the season which is way cheaper than the cheapest DirectTV package that was available here.  The pricing on this DirectTV Now might compete, but probably not once all the taxes and gov't fees are added in.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 01:27:09 am »
@RoosGirl  @kevindavis @Smokin Joe  @Cripplecreek  @

I went to using a Channel Master a few years ago,and just bought the newest model tonight. They are having a $100 off sale with free shipping,so I bought the newest model and a antenna they have on sale for $14

At home I have a RCA antenna (made in America) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024R4B5C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 in both my house and my workshop,and pull in 39 FREE HD broadcast channels at home,and 43 channels in the workshop. The antenna there is mounted a little higher. I am also 54 miles from the closest broadcast tower and the antennas are rated to pull in stations up to 50 miles away,so I ain't complaining.

I bought the newest Channel Master tonight to put in my motor home,and bought the antenna from them instead of the RCA because it was cheap. If it doesn't work to suit me,I'll throw it away and buy another RCA.

The Channel Master tuner is basicially a TIVO receiver and recorder hooked to your antenna. The basic one is what my old one is,and since it has a tiny hard drive in it,you have to buy a removable HDD to use if you plan on recording many programs.

The newest version has a built in 1 TB HDD,as well as a HDMI port to plug in another if you want.  It is on sale now for the same price as the older base version. TIVO function with a 2 week channel schedule if you have a wi-fi or direct internet connection. If you do,you can also stream a bunch of streaming video channels,like the big station in Chicago,Russia Today,etc,etc,etc. I didn't include these channels in the number I receive because I was only counting broadcast channels.

Pretty easy setup,and suddenly you can receive free tv and record it again. This is especially nice for those of you who love 50's and 60's tv shows because there are LOTS of them there. One is a dedicated Sci-Fi channel that specializes in REALLY cheesy sci-fi movies from the 50's and 60's. A few weeks ago there were having a "Godzilla Dance Party Week",and showing nothing but Godzilla moves,with clips of various Godzillas in a dance competition between shows. Some of the shows were in Japanese,but who the hell really cares about dialogue when watching this stuff? Make up what they are saying in your mind as you watch it.

Also stuff like Alfred Hitchcock Presents,Davy Crockett,Gunsmoke,etc,etc,etc. Click on the link below and you can figure it out from there.

http://www.channelmaster.com/Special_Offers_s/364.htm?Click=124486

I have been really happy with mine

Add a ROKU 4 to it,and pullin around 4,000 stations,plus HBO,Showtime,etc,etc,etc if you want to pay a fee.

https://www.roku.com/whats-on
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 01:29:50 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 02:19:52 am »
@sneakypete Only 13 channels from here, not so hot. I'm bailing on AT&T, though, I have had problems since they bought out Alltel, and every year they have said the same "We added new towers"... In the meantime, I have no troubles with Verizon, far, far better coverage, and calls/texts get through (except to AT&T phones). With even greater bandwidth demand, AT&T isn't going to get any better, and it's already bad.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 02:28:32 am »
@sneakypete Only 13 channels from here, not so hot. I'm bailing on AT&T, though, I have had problems since they bought out Alltel, and every year they have said the same "We added new towers"... In the meantime, I have no troubles with Verizon, far, far better coverage, and calls/texts get through (except to AT&T phones). With even greater bandwidth demand, AT&T isn't going to get any better, and it's already bad.

You may need a new HD antenna. I bought the RCA antenna I gave the link to and the closest station to me is 53 or 54 miles as a crow flies. Despite the channel only being rated as a 50 mile channel,I get 39 broadcast channels in the house,and 43 in the shop. The antenna in the shop is a little higher. It has a 18 foot ceiling so I can use my car lift.

I used an antenna booster with the first antenna I bought,but I noticed one day the damn thing was almost hot enough to burn my hand,so I took it out of the system and put it in the trash can system. Hooked everything back up without the booster in between,and went from 33 channels to 39 channels with no booster at all.

You are still going to need a internet connection if you want to stream tv like netflix or amazon,though. Channel Master has a Netflix channel to make things easier for you.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 02:39:26 am »
Meh. 25 dollar used Vista era computer with onboard HDMI... 25 bucks for a wireless keyboard/glidepad combo... I think about 15 bucks for a USB Wireless NIC.

No more cable tv bill - Saved at least 70 bucks a month. Anything you want to watch is online for free.
It has a bluetooth DVDR in it too - so I sold off my DVD machine for a 50 dollar recoup right off the bat.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 02:41:07 am by roamer_1 »

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 03:05:17 am »
You may need a new HD antenna. I bought the RCA antenna I gave the link to and the closest station to me is 53 or 54 miles as a crow flies. Despite the channel only being rated as a 50 mile channel,I get 39 broadcast channels in the house,and 43 in the shop. The antenna in the shop is a little higher. It has a 18 foot ceiling so I can use my car lift.

I used an antenna booster with the first antenna I bought,but I noticed one day the damn thing was almost hot enough to burn my hand,so I took it out of the system and put it in the trash can system. Hooked everything back up without the booster in between,and went from 33 channels to 39 channels with no booster at all.

You are still going to need a internet connection if you want to stream tv like netflix or amazon,though. Channel Master has a Netflix channel to make things easier for you.
I think part of the problem is that I am just a long way from anywhere much. The nearest town isn't that far, but the nearest over 100K is about 170 miles by air, the nearest 'big city' is Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada or Rapid City, SD. You gotta have signal to pick one up. The 13 is the number from the website for the zip code. I reckon they aren't going to down play it. I may just bite the bullet and see if I can get Fiber and go for streaming off the web.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 05:40:38 am »
I think part of the problem is that I am just a long way from anywhere much. The nearest town isn't that far, but the nearest over 100K is about 170 miles by air, the nearest 'big city' is Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada or Rapid City, SD. You gotta have signal to pick one up. The 13 is the number from the website for the zip code. I reckon they aren't going to down play it. I may just bite the bullet and see if I can get Fiber and go for streaming off the web.

@Smokin Joe

Well,they do make long distance antennas that MIGHT be able to pick up signals that far away if mounted up on the peak of your roof,but I know nothing about them.

If you just want or need to go with streaming videos/tv broadcasts/movies,you just can't beat a ROKU 3 or 4 combined with a Channel Master TIVO tuner.  Believe it or not,but a lot of local broadcast stations now stream their programs,so you can pick up local (or what passes as local for you,anyhow) tv to get news,weather forecasts,and regular programming.

If you have never experienced TIVO,you are in for a pleasant surprise. Say you came home a hour late to catch a movie,football game,etc,etc,etc you wanted to watch. IF your CM tuner was left at that station when you turned everything off,you can turn it on and rewind it to the start of the program and watch it all. IIRC,2 hours is as far back as you can go. It doesn't really record the shows,but it has it in it's memory. When you do start to watch it,you can fast-forward past the commercials,or just hit the "record" button and it will record the program from when it started.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 05:44:01 am by sneakypete »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 03:44:26 pm »
@sneakypete Thanks for the info.  I forwarded the links to my husband.  I let him take care of all the tech stuff.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2016, 06:43:29 pm »
I may just bite the bullet and see if I can get Fiber and go for streaming off the web.

You use the Channel Master TIVO receiver/recorder for that,too. Use a HDMI cable to hook it to your smart tv so it will pick up the Wi-Fi signal. Or  you can buy a HDMI "chip" from Channel Master that plugs into the back of it to allow it to pick up your Wi-Fi signal for around 14 bucks if your tv is a older one that doesn't have HMDI outlets.

And STILL pick up those 13 channels for free that tv.fool told you about to boot.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 06:44:05 pm by sneakypete »

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 01:23:48 am »
@RoosGirl  @kevindavis @Smokin Joe  @Cripplecreek  @

I went to using a Channel Master a few years ago,and just bought the newest model tonight. They are having a $100 off sale with free shipping,so I bought the newest model and a antenna they have on sale for $14

At home I have a RCA antenna (made in America) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024R4B5C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 in both my house and my workshop,and pull in 39 FREE HD broadcast channels at home,and 43 channels in the workshop. The antenna there is mounted a little higher. I am also 54 miles from the closest broadcast tower and the antennas are rated to pull in stations up to 50 miles away,so I ain't complaining.

I bought the newest Channel Master tonight to put in my motor home,and bought the antenna from them instead of the RCA because it was cheap. If it doesn't work to suit me,I'll throw it away and buy another RCA.

The Channel Master tuner is basicially a TIVO receiver and recorder hooked to your antenna. The basic one is what my old one is,and since it has a tiny hard drive in it,you have to buy a removable HDD to use if you plan on recording many programs.

The newest version has a built in 1 TB HDD,as well as a HDMI port to plug in another if you want.  It is on sale now for the same price as the older base version. TIVO function with a 2 week channel schedule if you have a wi-fi or direct internet connection. If you do,you can also stream a bunch of streaming video channels,like the big station in Chicago,Russia Today,etc,etc,etc. I didn't include these channels in the number I receive because I was only counting broadcast channels.

Pretty easy setup,and suddenly you can receive free tv and record it again. This is especially nice for those of you who love 50's and 60's tv shows because there are LOTS of them there. One is a dedicated Sci-Fi channel that specializes in REALLY cheesy sci-fi movies from the 50's and 60's. A few weeks ago there were having a "Godzilla Dance Party Week",and showing nothing but Godzilla moves,with clips of various Godzillas in a dance competition between shows. Some of the shows were in Japanese,but who the hell really cares about dialogue when watching this stuff? Make up what they are saying in your mind as you watch it.

Also stuff like Alfred Hitchcock Presents,Davy Crockett,Gunsmoke,etc,etc,etc. Click on the link below and you can figure it out from there.

I have been really happy with mine

Add a ROKU 4 to it,and pullin around 4,000 stations,plus HBO,Showtime,etc,etc,etc if you want to pay a fee.

https://www.roku.com/whats-on

@sneakypete

Thank you for the info. Since I live in the town home, I have to get an indoor antenna..

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 03:01:34 am »
You use the Channel Master TIVO receiver/recorder for that,too. Use a HDMI cable to hook it to your smart tv so it will pick up the Wi-Fi signal. Or  you can buy a HDMI "chip" from Channel Master that plugs into the back of it to allow it to pick up your Wi-Fi signal for around 14 bucks if your tv is a older one that doesn't have HMDI outlets.

And STILL pick up those 13 channels for free that tv.fool told you about to boot.
Thanks for the info, Pete. I'll check into it. We're looking to consolidate some bills and cut others, so this is a good thing to look into.

C S Lewis

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2016, 03:06:28 am »
I think we are starting to see the end of the traditional paid tv service.

Offline Meldrew

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2016, 05:24:45 am »
AntennaWeb.org ( https://www.antennaweb.org/Address) can give you a pretty good idea of what channels are available in your area.  As with all antennas, higher is better. For OTA tv, a rotator and a booster aren't horrible either.