Author Topic: Trump’s pick for attorney general: ‘Good people don’t smoke marijuana’  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Resp3

Christopher Ingraham

November 18 at 2:19 PM 

President-elect Donald Trump plans to nominate Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) to be attorney general of the United States, The Washington Post and other news outlets reported Friday. Sessions is a vocal opponent of marijuana legalization whose elevation to attorney general could deal a blow to state-level marijuana legalization efforts across the country.

At a Senate drug hearing in April, Sessions said that “we need grown-ups in charge in Washington to say marijuana is not the kind of thing that ought to be legalized, it ought not to be minimized, that it’s in fact a very real danger.” He voiced concern over statistics showing more drivers were testing positive for THC, the active component in marijuana, in certain states.

Sessions further argued that a lack of leadership from President Obama had been one of the drivers of the trend toward marijuana legalization in recent years. “I think one of [Obama's] great failures, it's obvious to me, is his lax treatment in comments on marijuana,” Sessions said at the hearing. “It reverses 20 years almost of hostility to drugs that began really when Nancy Reagan started ‘Just Say No.’ ”

He added that lawmakers and leaders in government needed to foster “knowledge that this drug is dangerous, you cannot play with it, it is not funny, it’s not something to laugh about . . . and to send that message with clarity that good people don’t smoke marijuana.”

MORE......

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/11/18/trumps-pick-for-attorney-general-good-people-dont-smoke-marijuana/

Offline Resp3

Stoners everywhere are groaning in despair.

But seriously. This may be extreme, but it pales in comparison to the left-wing extremism we has suffered through in the last 8 years.

Crack down on marijuana from a national level? Go for it. I'm having a blast watching liberal heads exploding as the Trump administration is forming.

Offline skeeter

Christopher Ingraham

November 18 at 2:19 PM 

President-elect Donald Trump plans to nominate Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) to be attorney general of the United States, The Washington Post and other news outlets reported Friday. Sessions is a vocal opponent of marijuana legalization whose elevation to attorney general could deal a blow to state-level marijuana legalization efforts across the country.

At a Senate drug hearing in April, Sessions said that “we need grown-ups in charge in Washington to say marijuana is not the kind of thing that ought to be legalized, it ought not to be minimized, that it’s in fact a very real danger.” He voiced concern over statistics showing more drivers were testing positive for THC, the active component in marijuana, in certain states.

Sessions further argued that a lack of leadership from President Obama had been one of the drivers of the trend toward marijuana legalization in recent years. “I think one of [Obama's] great failures, it's obvious to me, is his lax treatment in comments on marijuana,” Sessions said at the hearing. “It reverses 20 years almost of hostility to drugs that began really when Nancy Reagan started ‘Just Say No.’ ”

He added that lawmakers and leaders in government needed to foster “knowledge that this drug is dangerous, you cannot play with it, it is not funny, it’s not something to laugh about . . . and to send that message with clarity that good people don’t smoke marijuana.”

MORE......

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/11/18/trumps-pick-for-attorney-general-good-people-dont-smoke-marijuana/

He said what?

OMG we can't have this man for Attorney General!

It seems the left has run out of brickbats and is now flinging their own feces.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Ehhhhhhhhhh...

I don't agree with him. Not on pot.

Offline Resp3

Related...

Warren demands that Trump rescind Sessions pick                           
« on: Today at 03:35:28 PM »

Pro-dope? Anti-dope? Who cares? When leftists like Warren are mad - then all is good!

Wingnut

He said what?

OMG we can't have this man for Attorney General!

It seems the left has run out of brickbats and is now flinging their own feces.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DB

Prohibition simply does not work. Period.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I realize that these days it's not trendy to say so, but I completely agree with Senator Sessions...

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 01:43:23 am by guitar4jesus »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I realize that these days it's not trendy to say so, but I completely agree with Senator Sessions...

Afraid I don't, yet do.

Not a giant fan of pot and stoners are some of the most boring people on the planet, so there is that.

However - if a State decides it's fine, who are the Feds to over-ride the State?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

What a stupid thing to say.  It was stupid when the prohibitionists said it about "demon rum" and it's stupid when someone like Sessions says it about pot.

I'm not advocating, for or against, marijuana use, but being good, or bad, has nothing to do with it.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
I just hope he doesn't start covering up statues... :whistle:

Wingnut

I just hope he doesn't start covering up statues... :whistle:

Maybe just the dirty parts.....

Offline Norm Lenhart

Because more of the failed war on drugs is what America needs. Creating the Cartels just was not enough.

HonestJohn

Maybe just the dirty parts.....

Why waste the time/effort covering feet?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 11:55:53 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline Frank Cannon

Sessions should be staying the hell out of states business. People want to legalize pot it is up to them, not some tight ass from DC.

Offline ConstitutionRose

Sessions should be staying the hell out of states business. People want to legalize pot it is up to them, not some tight ass from DC.

I'm not wild about legaluzation, but I have to vote with Frank on this.  I think we need to do more education on the hazards.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...