Author Topic: Airman fixes $50K F-22 mechanical issue for $250  (Read 941 times)

rangerrebew

Airman fixes $50K F-22 mechanical issue for $250
« on: November 18, 2016, 01:09:53 pm »
An airmen stationed at Tyndall AFB was instrumental in solving what could have been a costly issue for the F-22 for a fraction of the price

November 16, 2016

Senior Airman Samuel Privett, a 43rd Aircraft Maintenance Unit weapons load crew member, stands at parade rest in front of an F-22 Raptor at Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla., Nov. 4, 2016. Privett recently led a team of 43rd AMU Airmen to troubleshoot a re-occurring maintenance issue with an F-22. Privett ensured accurate communication between multiple work shifts to isolate the issue, and played a key role in developing a cost effective solution. (U.S. Air Force photo/Tech. Sgt. Javier Cruz)

TYNDALL AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. — (Editor’s note: Due to the sensitivity of the specific maintenance issue affecting the F-22 Raptor, the exact details of the problem and solution could not be released to the public and are described in simplified terms.)

A re-occurring weapon's system issue with an F-22 required a small team of Airmen to collectively work together recently to develop an innovative solution.

The team’s problem solving is a testament to the amount of responsibility and confidence the Air Force puts in its Airmen regardless of age or experience.

https://www.military1.com/military-career/article/1653783014-airman-fixes-50k-f-22-mechanical-issue-for-250/
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 01:10:35 pm by rangerrebew »

geronl

Re: Airman fixes $50K F-22 mechanical issue for $250
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 01:14:58 pm »
With the way the government works, this guy could be fired for saving them money.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 01:34:08 pm »
Nicely done.

Got a small story about the skills of American flight techs - Navy rather than AF though.

Few years back I wound up having to land on a US carrier, with my hydraulics shot to hell (literally). They fixed my girl up in 2 hours, from scratch, having to machine most of the fittings from scratch and adapt stuff they had in stores to fit. Did all that on a chopper that most of them had never seen from a distance even, never mind with it's panels off.

Best in the world. Bar none.  :beer:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 06:28:17 pm »
Nicely done.

Got a small story about the skills of American flight techs - Navy rather than AF though.

Few years back I wound up having to land on a US carrier, with my hydraulics shot to hell (literally). They fixed my girl up in 2 hours, from scratch, having to machine most of the fittings from scratch and adapt stuff they had in stores to fit. Did all that on a chopper that most of them had never seen from a distance even, never mind with it's panels off.

Best in the world. Bar none.  :beer:

That's my Navy.  I could have given you a weather forecast for the trip home. :silly:

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 02:57:34 pm »
Awesome, promote that man.

rangerrebew

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 03:48:20 pm »
I remember some 25-30 years ago the government paying $600 for a toilet seat on some plane.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 03:53:06 pm »
The problem is, the $250 fix is really just this...

...and should be a $2.50 fix, but the military cost multiplier applies.

(Kidding... kidding...)
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!