Author Topic: Trump meeting with Mitt Romney this weekend to discuss governing and possible Cabinet post  (Read 8528 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I supported Romney, Trump did.

I guess, that just spilled out when people were calling Romney an establishment candidate.

I think it's basically talk-radio that pushes this "establishment" crap (Limblob, et al) and they are also pushing Trump as "anti-establishment". It'll be interesting to hear Limblob stutter over himself trying to explain this away.

I haven't listened, has he explained Trump's $1 trillion stimulus? Is Trump still Reagan?

Offline Suppressed

You know, even if he doesn't appoint Romney to anything, this is a smart move.  Meet with people who opposed you, tell them of your plans, etc..  It'll help him rally more support in Congress and among people if he's got more "respectable" types like Romney not carping at him.

Also, it is noteworthy that despite the warnings that he'd be "no better than Hillary", his meetings with people like Cruz and Romney suggest he's going to be closer to a traditional Republican.  A lot of folks obviously don't like that, but it still isn't Hillary.

It seems to be mere speculation about offering him a position.  It could just as likely be misdirection.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online cato potatoe

Wow - the GOP is wagering everything on Trump.  They better have their fingers, toes, legs, and eyes crossed.

Offline andy58-in-nh

First "Ayotte, then Cruz,now Romney" have the FR people freaking out.

Do they really expect Trump, a governmental novice, to select other such novices to high office? Why are they not willing to trust his vaunted business acumen? Trump's supporters often insisted (as did he) that if elected he would hire "the best people". Much to their surprise, it would seem, he appears to be doing exactly that. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Trying for some reflected respectability.
Nice try, but NOPE.
No way any class will ever rub off on DT.

It may not work with you, but that doesn't mean him trying to make peace with people like Romney won't have an effect on others.

• Technical
Wow - the GOP is wagering everything on Trump.  They better have their fingers, toes, legs, and eyes crossed.

Well yeah. Thanks to Trump (in part)  they have the WH, Congress, USSC soon, and a record number of state legislatures and governors.

Offline bilo

I thought Trump was going to squash these GOPe types like bugs, not hire them.  There goes another campaign promise down the toilet.

I think Trump deserves some credit for trying to find the best people regardless of past fights. Romney is an outstanding manager of large organizations and does know how to get things done. Lets see what the final outcome is. I'm more concerned about Hatch wanting to keep the filibuster than I am Romney running the State Dept.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

• Technical

To: monkapotamus
Hes’s not going to hand everything over to Ryan and Romney or we’ve been had!!!

9 posted on 11/17/2016, 3:29:20 PM by acoulterfan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Now we may know what they were discussing. It would be an excellent choice.

Former Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney will meet with Donald Trump this weekend to discuss the secretary of state position, a source close to the president-elect with direct knowledge of his thinking told NBC News....

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/17/romney-and-trump-to-discuss-secretary-of-state-position-nbc-source-says.html

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Well yeah. Thanks to Trump (in part)  they have the WH, Congress, USSC soon, and a record number of state legislatures and governors.

Congress and the state legislatures were handed to the GOP long before Donny had his sudden conversion to being a Republican.

No offense but if anyone here thinks that he's going to actually put another Scalia type legal scholar on the SCOTUS they are in for a disappointing 4 years.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online DB

Isn't that how Obama contained Hillary?

And if they won't follow your policy you can publicly fire them. A win-win.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
 888ohnoes

And earlier, we heard TOS scorned, Oh, they won't like this.

How things flip again.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I think Trump deserves some credit for trying to find the best people regardless of past fights. Romney is an outstanding manager of large organizations and does know how to get things done. Lets see what the final outcome is. I'm more concerned about Hatch wanting to keep the filibuster than I am Romney running the State Dept.

Exactly,

What is lost here is that Romney in 2012 basically predicted the dangerous road we were going down with Russia, probably on other topics as well.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
888ohnoes

And earlier, we heard TOS scorned, Oh, they won't like this.

How things flip again.

They don't like it. They are having a bit of a hissy now. http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3495522/posts

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Always fun to watch how fast Trumpers transition from hate to butt kissing in cases like this.

Offline wolfcreek

I think it's basically talk-radio that pushes this "establishment" crap (Limblob, et al) and they are also pushing Trump as "anti-establishment". It'll be interesting to hear Limblob stutter over himself trying to explain this away.

I haven't listened, has he explained Trump's $1 trillion stimulus? Is Trump still Reagan?

Trump promised to rebuild the inner cities, infrastructure etc. No one disagrees with that.

Offline wolfcreek

Always fun to watch how fast Trumpers transition from hate to butt kissing in cases like this.

Alas. you're left with no butt to kiss.

• Technical
Trump promised to rebuild the inner cities, infrastructure etc. No one disagrees with that.

Urban renewal huh? That didn't work the last time we tried it. They've been trying since the 60's.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Alas. you're left with no butt to kiss.

And my dignity is intact unlike yours. 

Now pucker up boy. :silly:

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...

WHA???

Offline wolfcreek

Urban renewal huh? That didn't work the last time we tried it. They've been trying since the 60's.

From the folks I know up in the NE states, it's highly needed.

Shoot, here in the capital of TX the roads are like those of a third world country.

• Technical
From the folks I know up in the NE states, it's highly needed.

Shoot, here in the capital of TX the roads are like those of a third world country.

Better local governance is needed. If the Feds filter down money it will just be wasted.