Author Topic: Trump meeting with Mitt Romney this weekend to discuss governing and possible Cabinet post  (Read 8582 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Trump meeting with Mitt Romney this weekend to discuss governing and possible Cabinet post

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline GrouchoTex

First "Ayotte, then Cruz,now Romney" have the FR people freaking out.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 06:50:35 pm by GrouchoTex »

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

Romney would be a good choice for a lot of things -- Commerce among them.

Also, really interested to hear about the Labor Department.  Extremely important when it comes to workplace rules, employee relations, unions, etc...

Offline Night Hides Not

Good thing they met their fundraising goal early, though I suspect there was "accrual of monthlies not yet received" factored in.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

Also, really interested to hear about the Labor Department.  Extremely important when it comes to workplace rules, employee relations, unions, etc...

I agree but... he's about as establishment as you can get. Frankly all of Trump's appointments are.

Offline Night Hides Not

I agree but... he's about as establishment as you can get. Frankly all of Trump's appointments are.

Six dimensional chess in play here...
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline GrouchoTex

Commerce would be a good place for Romney.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Newsmax
CNN: Trump to Meet With Romney This Weekend
Thursday, November 17, 2016 01:54 PM

By: REUTERS

President-elect Donald Trump will meet with Mitt Romney this weekend, CNN reported.

CNN reported that the two will talk about governing moving forward and a possible Cabinet position for Romney.

Romney was one of Trump's fiercest critics throughout the primaries and presidential election season.

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/Trump-Romney/2016/11/17/id/759457/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

I thought Trump was going to squash these GOPe types like bugs, not hire them.  There goes another campaign promise down the toilet. 

Offline chae

Excellent!  As much as I despise Trump, I will now get to quench my thirst for the sweet tears of unfathomable TOS sadness   :smokin:

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Looks like Trump may be growing into his new job.  He's President of all of us, not just his fever-swamp, vendetta-obsessed, nihilist supporters.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Looks like Trump may be growing into his new job.  He's President of all of us, not just his fever-swamp, vendetta-obsessed, nihilist supporters.

Yeah, proud to have voted for him,

Those who support the holocaust of the unborn will have little to do with his success when he lessens it.

Offline TomSea

I thought Trump was going to squash these GOPe types like bugs, not hire them.  There goes another campaign promise down the toilet.

His priorities also include aiding Americans, stopping the slaughter of the unborn which must make him a target to vilify.

Offline TomSea

Trump supported Romney in 2012;

Wow.

Offline wolfcreek

Trump supported Romney in 2012;

Wow.

As did many of us.

I thought this group here didn't want an anti-Establishment candidate?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
His priorities also include aiding Americans, stopping the slaughter of the unborn which must make him a target to vilify.

You sure about that?

April 1989

Trump co-sponsored a dinner at the Plaza Hotel in Manhattan (which he then owned) honoring Robin Chandler Duke, a former president of NARAL. He chose not to attend, the New York Times reported, after his family was threatened by anti-abortion activists.
Oct. 24, 1999

Ten years later, Trump appeared on NBC in an interview with Tim Russert. In a clip that has received newfound life during this election cycle, Trump defends his broadly liberal positions by explaining that he grew up in Manhattan, not Iowa.

Asked about abortion, he’s clear.

"I'm Very Pro Choice," Partial Birth Abortion is OK"

“I’m very pro-choice,” Trump says. “I hate the concept of abortion. I hate it. I hate everything it stands for. I cringe when I listen to people debating the subject. But you still — I just believe in choice.”

Russert clarifies his original point: Would you ban partial-birth abortion? “No,” Trump replies.

Between 1999 and 2011

At some point between 1999 and 2011, Trump’s position on abortion changed. He explained the reason for his switch during the first debate of 2015.

[W]hat happened is friends of mine years ago were going to have a child, and it was going to be aborted. And it wasn’t aborted. And that child today is a total superstar, a great, great child. And I saw that. And I saw other instances.

In 2011, as he was toying with running, he told activists at the Conservative Political Action Conference that, among other conservative positions, “I am pro-life [and] against gun control.”

June 28, 2015

Shortly after announcing his candidacy, Trump appeared on CNN in an interview with Jake Tapper. He got a little tripped up.

TAPPER: Let me ask you about a few social issues because they haven’t been issues you have been talking about for several years. I know you’re opposed to abortion.

TRUMP: Right. I’m pro-choice.

TAPPER: You’re pro-choice or pro-life?

TRUMP: I’m pro-life. I’m sorry.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/04/03/donald-trumps-ever-shifting-positions-on-abortion/

Mitt Romney's stance on abortion came under scrutiny this week after the GOP challenger said he would not make abortion-related legislation part of his agenda if elected president.

Some of his Republican primary rivals challenged Romney on his evolving stance on abortion, but the issue has been on the backburner for much of the general election. He is now the target of attacks by Democrats, who claim that Romney is trying to "cover up" his true position in order to win women voters, and abortion rights activists like Planned Parenthood, who said Romney was being "dishonest" about his stance.

Here is a rundown of Romney's stances on all things abortion-related, from supporting Roe v. Wade in 1994 to disavowing it in 2011, to backing away from any legislative changes in 2012.

2002: 'I Will Preserve and Protect a Woman's Right to Choose'

While running for Massachusetts governor eight years later, Romney assured voters in the moderate state that he was "not going to change our pro-choice laws in Massachusetts in any way."

"I will preserve and protect a woman's right to choose," Romney said during a 2002 debate against Democratic gubernatorial opponent Shannon O'Brien. "I am not going to change our pro-choice laws in Massachusetts in any way. I am not going to make any changes which would make it more difficult for a woman to make that choice herself."
2005: 'I Am Pro-Life'

After winning the governor's mansion, Romney used his veto pen in 2005 to block a law that would expand access to emergency contraception.

In a Boston Globe Op-Ed explaining his veto, Romney said he was "pro-life" and opposed a "judicial mandate" that dictated a nationwide abortion law, arguing instead that the issue should be left up to the states.

"I believe that abortion is the wrong choice except in cases of incest, rape, and to save the life of the mother," Romney wrote. "I believe that the states, through the democratic process, should determine their own abortion laws and not have them dictated by judicial mandate."

Romney said he would uphold his campaign promise not to change Massachusetts' abortion laws, even though that campaign pledge was preceded by Romney's statement that he would "protect a woman's right to chose."
2007: 'We Should Overturn Roe v. Wade'

During his first presidential bid in 2007, Romney explained that he had "changed my mind" on abortion while serving his one term as Massachusetts governor.

After debate moderator Anderson Cooper showed the clip of Romney saying in 1994 that "we should sustain and support" Roe v. Wade, the Republican presidential candidate said that "on abortion, I was wrong."

"I'm proud to be pro-life, and I'm not going to be apologizing to people for becoming pro-life," Romney said during a GOP primary debate in November 2007.

Romney went on to say "we should overturn Roe v. Wade and return these issues to the states." He also said he would be "delighted" to sign a bill as president that would outlaw abortion, if there "was such a consensus in this country that we said we don't want to have abortion in this country at all, period."
2011: 'I Will Support Efforts to Prohibit Federal Funding for Any Organization Like Planned Parenthood'

Since 2005, Romney has consistently said that he is "pro-life" and believes abortion should be legal only in the case "of rape, incest, or to save the life of the mother."

During the fiercely conservative Republican primary last year, Romney expanded that view to include cutting all federal funding for Planned Parenthood, reversing Roe v. Wade "because it is bad law and bad medicine," and ending funding for any international aid program that "promotes or performs abortions on women around the world."

"If I have the opportunity to serve as our nation's next president, I commit to doing everything in my power to cultivate, promote, and support a culture of life in America," Romney wrote in a National Review Op-Ed in June 2011.

While Romney said repeatedly that abortion laws should be left up to the states, he told Fox's Mike Huckabee in October 2011 that he "absolutely" supports a Constitutional amendment banning abortion.
2012: 'There's No Legislation With Regards to Abortion That I'm Familiar With That Would Become Part of My Agenda'

Less than two months after accepting the GOP nomination, Romney seemed to tack back toward the center on his abortion stance, telling the Des Moines Register this week that he would not make abortion legislation part of his agenda.

"There's no legislation with regards to abortion that I'm familiar with that would become part of my agenda," Romney told the Des Moines Register Tuesday.

Such a stance seems to contradict the National Review Op-Ed Romney wrote in June 2011, when he named three pieces of legislation he would support if elected president.

"I support the Hyde Amendment, which broadly bars the use of federal funds for abortions," Romney wrote. "I will reinstate the Mexico City Policy to ensure that nongovernmental organizations that receive funding from America refrain from performing or promoting abortion services."

"I will advocate for and support a Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act to protect unborn children who are capable of feeling pain from abortion," Romney added.

The GOP nominee's spokeswoman Andrea Saul was quick to clarify her candidate's remarks Tuesday, saying "Mitt Romney is proudly pro-life and will be a pro-life president."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/mitt-romneys-abortion-evolution/story?id=17443452

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
As did many of us.

:shrug:  I thought you did?

Offline TomSea

As did many of us.

I supported Romney, Trump did.

I guess, that just spilled out when people were calling Romney an establishment candidate.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Trump's policies are pro-life, Mitt won't be doing that part.

Which policy?  Which Trump are we supposed to believe?  Right now give him 5 minutes and he'll change his mind.

You're new "pro Life Trump" talking point is pretty weak at this point.

Perhaps you should find a new one.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
As did many of us.

We didn't...and damn if you guys didn't help get us an Establishment candidate anyway.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
You know, even if he doesn't appoint Romney to anything, this is a smart move.  Meet with people who opposed you, tell them of your plans, etc..  It'll help him rally more support in Congress and among people if he's got more "respectable" types like Romney not carping at him.

Also, it is noteworthy that despite the warnings that he'd be "no better than Hillary", his meetings with people like Cruz and Romney suggest he's going to be closer to a traditional Republican.  A lot of folks obviously don't like that, but it still isn't Hillary.

Offline Rivergirl

Trying for some reflected respectability.
Nice try, but NOPE.
No way any class will ever rub off on DT.