Author Topic: Fake news on Facebook is a real problem. These college students came up with a fix in 36 hours.  (Read 1132 times)

HonestJohn

By Colby Itkowitz
November 18

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp/2016/11/18/fake-news-on-facebook-is-a-real-problem-these-college-students-came-up-with-a-fix/

When Nabanita De scrolled through her Facebook feed recently, she felt afraid. There were so many posts with competing information and accusations about Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton that she didn’t know how to begin deciphering the fearmongering from the reality.

The social media site has faced criticism since the presidential election for its role in disseminating fake and misleading stories that are indistinguishable from real news. Because Facebook’s algorithm is designed to determine what its individual users want to see, people often see only that which validates their existing beliefs regardless of whether the information being shared is true.

So when De, an international second-year master’s student at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, attended a hackathon at Princeton University this week with a simple prompt to develop a technology project in 36 hours, she suggested to her three teammates that they try to build an algorithm that authenticates what is real and what is fake on Facebook.

And they were able to do it.

De, with Anant Goel, a freshman at Purdue University, and Mark Craft and Qinglin Chen, sophomores at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, built a Chrome browser extension that tags links in Facebook feeds as verified or not verified by taking into account factors such as the source’s credibility and cross-checking the content with other news stories. Where a post appears to be false, the plug-in will provide a summary of more credible information on the topic online.

They’ve called it FiB.

Since the students developed it in only a day and a half (and have classes and schoolwork to worry about), they’ve released it as an “open-source project,” asking anyone with development experience to help them improve it. The plugin is available for download to the public, but the demand was so great that their limited operation couldn’t handle it.

So while FiB isn’t currently up and running, when it works, this is what it looks like:

When a link cannot be verified, it looks like this:

Goel said that ideally, Facebook would team up with a third-party developer such as FiB so that the company could control all news feed data but then let the developers verify it so Facebook couldn’t be accused of “hidden agendas or biases.”

The sponsors of the hackathon included Facebook and other major technology companies. FiB was awarded “Best Moonshot” by Google, but neither Facebook nor Google, which has its own problems with promoting fake news, have reached out about helping them.

Both companies have said this week that they will take steps to address the spread of fake news.

This presidential election year has shown how the lines have blurred between fact and lies, with people profiting off the spread of fake news. There are more than 100 news sites that made up pro-Trump content traced to Macedonia, according to a BuzzFeed News investigation. The Washington Post interviewed Paul Horner, a prolific fake-news creator, who said, “I think Trump is in the White House because of me. His followers don’t fact-check anything — they’ll post everything, believe anything.”

Melissa Zimdars, a communications professor at Merrimack College in Massachusetts, said she’s seen a similar problem with her students who cite from sources that are not credible. So she created a list of fake, misleading or satirical sites as a reference for her students. She created it not as a direct response to the postelection fake news debate but simply to encourage her students to become more media literate by checking what they read against other sources.

The list, which she has continued to add to since she made it public earlier this week, has gone viral. She also included tips for analyzing news sources:

• Watch out if known/reputable news sites are not also reporting on the story. Sometimes lack of coverage is the result of corporate media bias and other factors, but there should typically be more than one source reporting on a topic or event.

• If the story makes you REALLY ANGRY it’s probably a good idea to keep reading about the topic via other sources to make sure the story you read wasn’t purposefully trying to make you angry (with potentially misleading or false information) in order to generate shares and ad revenue.

(more at link)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 03:09:03 am by HonestJohn »

HonestJohn

Not sure if this belongs here or in politics.

If you use Chrome, you can download it here:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/fib/ofpheinlpjdffpdakjegbcphdfeekpnn
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 03:14:07 am by HonestJohn »

Offline bolobaby

Uh huh. Someone still picks the truthy sources and the untruthy sources to weight the algorithm.

Bullocks.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Melissa Zimdars, a communications professor at Merrimack College in Massachusetts, said she’s seen a similar problem with her students who cite from sources that are not credible. So she created a list of fake, misleading or satirical sites as a reference for her students. She created it not as a direct response to the postelection fake news debate but simply to encourage her students to become more media literate by checking what they read against other sources.

Name sounds familiar:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-11-18/meet-leftist-professor-who-wrote-hit-list-fake-news-sites

For the record, while I applaud these folks for finding a solution to fake news on facespace in 36 hours, I beat them by 36 hours.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Uh huh. Someone still picks the truthy sources and the untruthy sources to weight the algorithm.

Bullocks.
Precisely.

As for over 30,000 scientists, http://www.petitionproject.org/ I know some people on the list who did indeed sign. The hell it isn't verified. All I see verified is the inherent bias of the people who came up with this: Liebral. Oops, that's Liberal, isn't it?

Who uses Fecebook as their news source? Any gossip I hear, I would want to independently verify, anyway.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 09:19:29 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
"Fake News" according to Obama and the Left, is any news that does not comport with the Leftist agenda.

When they talk about 'verifying' the news, what they are talking about is verifying that ABC/CBS/NBC/CNN and all the rest are reporting it. What this 'fake news' initiative is intended to do is to return all control of "news" to the major outlets, like it was in the 80's.

Denying 'Global Warming' is fake news. Printing stories on the Black on Black crime wave epidemic is 'fake news'. Exposing Obama's links and sympathies for Muslim radical groups is 'fake news'. Anything that opposes the Left's quest for power is 'fake news'.

Censoring 'fake news' by powerful corporations or by government agents is a very dangerous trend. It put control of everything we are able to see and read into the hands of corporations who are partners of the government, or to the government itself. This is real Soviet/North Korea style of population control.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 10:04:26 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.