Author Topic: Here’s What I Told My Black Students to Remember Now That Trump Is President  (Read 277 times)

rangerrebew

Here’s What I Told My Black Students to Remember Now That Trump Is President
Posted Nov. 14, 2016 in Better Conversation
el-mekki   
Sharif El-Mekki is the principal of Mastery Charter School–Shoemaker Campus, a neighborhood public charter school in Philadelphia, and he is a principal fellow with the U.S. Department of Education. Full profile →

The morning after the election, Philadelphia was fresh off a six-day public transit strike. Now our students, who had demonstrated high levels of grit and resilience to get to school despite the lack of transportation, were faced with an even greater challenge: the election of Donald J. Trump as president.

There was a certain post-election gloom in the building. The students of Mastery Shoemaker—seventh- through 12th-graders, nearly all of them African-American—could be heard in our hallways expressing concerns about the messages that President-elect Trump used to win the election. They exchanged thoughts, glances, nods and hugs with their peers and staff alike.

http://educationpost.org/heres-what-i-told-my-black-students-to-remember-now-that-trump-is-president/
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 05:54:37 pm by rangerrebew »