Author Topic: US may face investigation for war crimes in Afghanistan  (Read 344 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
US may face investigation for war crimes in Afghanistan
« on: November 15, 2016, 02:04:45 pm »
US may face investigation for war crimes in Afghanistan
By Julian Hattem - 11/15/16 08:26 AM EST

The International Criminal Court is on the verge of opening an investigation into allegations that the United States committed war crimes while interrogating detainees in Afghanistan.

There “is a reasonable basis to believe that” that U.S. military and CIA forces in Afghanistan “resorted to techniques amounting to the commission of the war crimes of torture, cruel treatment, outrages upon personal dignity, and rape" in the course of the 13-year war there, the office of prosecutor Fatou Bensouda said in a report issued late Monday.

Prosecutors will examine the evidence and determine whether to launch an investigation “imminently,” it added.

If the ICC proceeds to an investigation into the alleged abuses, it would be a resounding international rebuke to the George W. Bush administration’s counterterrorism policies. The use of "black sites" and so-called “enhanced interrogation techniques” such as waterboarding remain one of the most controversial aspects of the former president’s time in office. A years-long investigation by Democrats on the Senate Intelligence Committee resulted in a hotly debated 6,700-page report, the vast majority of which remains classified.

more

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/306029-us-may-face-investigation-for-war-crimes-in-afghanistan
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline kidd

Re: US may face investigation for war crimes in Afghanistan
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 03:52:13 pm »
Just to clarify, for historical reasons,
these would be war crimes committed under the Obama administration

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 03:58:49 pm »
Good thing the U.S. withdrew from the ICC and is not bound by its decisions.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 04:03:38 pm »

Not all of them if any of them are under the Obama administration. The article itself makes that clear.

I was thinking to myself,  this investigation may be politically motivate so the Trump admin. doesn't do these things as he has discussed this issue of prisoner treatment prior.

Prior article in World News:

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,234071.msg1141279.html#msg1141279

http://www.rferl.org/a/hague-prosecutors-say-us-tortured-61-prisoners-afghanistan-war-crimes/28117333.html

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 04:05:38 pm »
Obama hit Afghanistan and Iraq with a lot of drones and from news reports, innocent people were killed.

So, even if the Hague trots this out, what about this other?

IT seems political to me.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 04:09:11 pm »
Well maybe some, but according to the article: "The alleged war crimes occurred “principally in the 2003-2004 period,” the office claimed, though some allegedly continued until 2014."
Gosh I wonder when they are going to investigate all the war crime committed by, or funded by muslims? My answer to the ICC would be pound sand