Author Topic: Obama, on last trip to Europe, warns against nationalism, populism  (Read 1121 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Obama, on last trip to Europe, warns against nationalism, populism
[Reuters]
By Jeff Mason
ReutersNovember 15, 2016

By Jeff Mason

ATHENS (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama, stung by the surprise victory of Donald Trump in last week's U.S. election, warned on Tuesday against a rise in nationalism and said a backlash against globalization had stoked populist movements at home and abroad.

Obama said distrust of elites and governing institutions had fed success in the U.S. election for Senator Bernie Sanders, who challenged Hillary Clinton in a drawn-out Democratic primary contest, and for Trump, a former reality TV star who bested the former secretary of state in the U.S. presidential race.

"When you see a Donald Trump and a Bernie Sanders, very unconventional candidates, have considerable success, then obviously there is something there that's being tapped into: a suspicion of globalization, a desire to rein in its excesses," Obama said in Greece at the start of a farewell tour of Europe.

more
https://www.yahoo.com/news/obama-says-wants-facilitate-good-transition-trump-160936415.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GAJohnnie

Re: Obama, on last trip to Europe, warns against nationalism, populism
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 07:48:07 pm »
After 30 years of Bush-Clinton-Obama interventionism perhaps some "Crude nationalism", in the mode of Reagan, is what this country needs right now.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 09:54:49 pm »
I am so glad that for the last 8 years we've had a president who is so, so, so much smarter and wiser than everybody else.   :thud:

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 11:40:30 am »
Obama warns against ‘a crude sort of nationalism’ taking root in the U.S.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/11/15/in-athens-obama-warns-against-a-crude-sort-of-nationalism-or-tribalism-taking-root-in-the-u-s/

President Obama warned Tuesday that Americans and people around the world “are going to have to guard against a rise in a crude sort of nationalism, or ethnic identity, or tribalism” taking root amid the populist movements that are gaining currency around the world.

Speaking at a joint news conference with Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras by his side, Obama refrained from criticizing President-elect Donald Trump directly as he discussed the impact of his electoral victory last week. But the president made it clear that he sees a dark side to the kind of populist movements Trump's campaign embodied — ideals that other conservative leaders are advocating in Europe and elsewhere.

“We are going to have to guard against a rise in a crude sort of nationalism, or ethnic identity or tribalism that is built around an us and a them, and I will never apologize for saying that the future of humanity and the future of the world is going to be defined by what we have in common, as opposed to those things that separate us and ultimately lead us into conflict,” Obama said.

“Take Europe,” he continued. “We know what happens when Europeans start dividing themselves up and emphasizing their differences and seeing a competition between various countries in a zero-sum way. The 20th century was a bloodbath.”

Obama, who made it clear during the course of the hour-long news conference that he did not view the recent U.S. election results as a referendum on his own tenure or world vision, suggested that targeting specific racial, religious ethnic groups could backfire.

“In the United States we know what happens when we start dividing ourselves along the lines of race or religion or ethnicity. It is dangerous. It is dangerous, not just for the minority groups that are subjected to that kind of discrimination, or in some cases in the past, violence, but because we then don’t realize our potential as a country when we are preventing blacks or Latinos or Asians or gays or women from fully participating in the project of building American life,” he said.

“So my vision is right on that issue, and it may not always win the day in the short term in any particularly political circumstance, but I am confident it will win the day in the long term,” Obama added. “Because societies which are able to unify ourselves around values and ideals and character, and how we treat each other, and cooperation and innovation, ultimately are going to be more successful than societies that don’t.”....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 12:15:18 pm »
Racist piece of dung.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 12:41:06 pm »
“In the United States we know what happens when we start dividing ourselves along the lines of race or religion or ethnicity. It is dangerous.

You should know. It got you 8 years in power.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 12:44:38 pm »
In the United States we know what happens when we start dividing ourselves along the lines of race or religion or ethnicity.

You should know. It got you 8 years in power.
Exactly. That pretty much sums up his domestic policy: inciting hatred and division.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 12:48:26 pm »
Got to admit, back in 2008 when he got elected I was appalled - but I did think "At least most of this racial BS will disappear, what with a black president."

I were dumb.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink