Author Topic: Scientists carry out full head transplant on rats  (Read 1279 times)

rangerrebew

Scientists carry out full head transplant on rats
« on: May 02, 2017, 09:36:13 am »
Scientists carry out full head transplant on rats

Experiment is preparation for first human head transplant being planned for later this year

Ben Kentish
    @BenKentish
    8 hours ago

Scientists have carried out a successful head transplant on rats ahead of plans to attempt a similar operation on a human later this year.

During the procedure, the head of a smaller rat was attached to the body of a larger rodent. Rather than simply replacing the head, the team attached the donor head to the body of the larger rat, creating an animal with two heads.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/scientists-china-full-head-transplant-rats-human-sergio-canavero-cns-neuroscience-therapeutics-a7711871.html
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:37:36 am by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Re: Scientists carry out full head transplant on rats
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 09:38:46 am »
Perhaps science could do America a favor and transplant one of those rat heads to the body of Nazi Pelosi.  Then she might be able to say something intelligent.

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 03:14:40 pm »
Why?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 03:22:05 pm »
Probably the only thing that will fix the Rats is a full head transplant.
The Republic is lost.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 04:03:02 pm »
I wonder what it would be like to have my head transplanted onto another body. I wonder if my brain would freak out over the entirely new set of signals it was receiving, or if it would adapt.

It's interesting, to say the least. Let's say a soldier was burned badly and a quadruple amputee and another, perfectly healthy soldier died of a gunshot wound to the head. Would head transplant be a viable medical procedure if the head shot victim was listed as an "organ donor?"

Is there moral and/or ethical concerns with a procedure such as this?

Sooooo many questions...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 04:03:48 pm by bolobaby »
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 04:06:40 pm »
I wonder what it would be like to have my head transplanted onto another body. I wonder if my brain would freak out over the entirely new set of signals it was receiving, or if it would adapt.

I would be ok as long as I don't get the body of a south korean man..look it up.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 04:07:28 pm »
Has PETA mounted a protest over using rats?

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 04:08:37 pm »

It's interesting, to say the least. Let's say a soldier was burned badly and a quadruple amputee and another, perfectly healthy soldier died of a gunshot wound to the head. Would head transplant be a viable medical procedure if the head shot victim was listed as an "organ donor?"

Is there moral and/or ethical concerns with a procedure such as this?

Sooooo many questions...

25 years from now this will be commonplace as with adding computer chips to our brains to boost brain power.
Look at all the face transplants they are now doing..and getting better at each one. The first few you could tell but the last guy it would be hard to tell.

@bolobaby

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 04:08:47 pm »
And, just for fun, let's follow up with a loaded question:

If your arm was blown off, would you take a donor arm from a different race or gender if it was the only one immediately available?

What if your junk was blown off? Would you take donor parts from a different race? Would that be weird, or would you rather go through the rest of your life with no junk?

Now - what if the entire donor body was a different race? What would that make you? Rachel Dolezal? How would you feel about waking up and finding your head attached to the body of a different race?
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 04:09:37 pm »
I would be ok as long as I don't get the body of a south korean man..look it up.

@mirraflake

LOL - you were posting while I was posting my follow-up thought experiment above!
1. Trump is never wrong.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 06:17:28 pm »
We could do it to Trump!

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 06:24:00 pm »
We could do it to Trump!

You still wouldn't end up with two brains on one body.