Author Topic: Trump just laid out a pretty radical student debt plan  (Read 4593 times)

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: Trump just laid out a pretty radical student debt plan
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2016, 12:35:29 am »
Make Bernie Sander's Policies Great Again

Exactly.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2016, 12:49:52 am »
There was a guy on the radio who made the case that Trump is just Arnold Schwarzenegger in how he governed California: he wanted to be liked by everyone and thus his policies were all over the place. Read that as: no ideological guardrails whatsoever.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2016, 01:00:22 am »
My nephew says he felt pressured into medicine by my sis and brother in  law and would be starting a new career 7 figures in debt which was a major source of stress. Now he's making some $50,000 per year starting out and will make considerably more in the future minus that kind of debt.

There's something to be said for that... And what isn't being considered, is accountability for colleges that blow smoke up a kid's nether-regions, where they dream of coming out of college and being instantly rich and desirable because of their degree in wymyns studies...

Continuing to offer classes that do not lead to employment should have it's price, and in business, that is where accountability should be.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2016, 01:06:20 am »
@Frank Cannon

My deceased sister-in-law, was still paying for student debt at age 60.  She was a counselor at a women's center for many years and still paying on the student loan.  She had said she was concerned what would happen after she retired, as the govn. would automatically take it out of her social security check.

She died last year, 2015.  She had no husband and no children so the govn. couldn't go after family to pay the remaining debt.  I suppose dying would release one from student debt if one really wanted to get rid of the debt.  :shrug:

@Victoria33

Oh, someone is paying the debt. I am, even though I worked, saved and went to a state school to pay for myself. I also went for a degree you could make money with.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2016, 01:08:02 am »
@Victoria33

Oh, someone is paying the debt. I am, even though I worked, saved and went to a state school to pay for myself. I also went for a degree you could make money with.

Me too.  Took me about twice as long to get through college as it could have, but I graduated owing exactly $0.00.  And, of course, college was more affordable back then.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2016, 01:09:36 am »
Make Bernie Sander's Policies Great Again

Do you think the Sanders' millennial groupies will love Trump now?

Or are they out in the streets rioting?

It's so confusing to keep track of these crazy kids!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2016, 01:13:04 am »
There's something to be said for that... And what isn't being considered, is accountability for colleges that blow smoke up a kid's nether-regions, where they dream of coming out of college and being instantly rich and desirable because of their degree in wymyns studies...

Continuing to offer classes that do not lead to employment should have it's price, and in business, that is where accountability should be.

Funny thing is that my nephew says quantum physics is his passion but its completely useless outside of academia or engineering on the USS Enterprise. He'll still study it on the side as a hobby.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2016, 01:17:17 am »
Do you think the Sanders' millennial groupies will love Trump now?

Or are they out in the streets rioting?

It's so confusing to keep track of these crazy kids!

I would not be surprised if there are some radical moves to become liked by most. It is the populist way.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2016, 01:17:34 am »
There was a guy on the radio who made the case that Trump is just Arnold Schwarzenegger in how he governed California: he wanted to be liked by everyone and thus his policies were all over the place. Read that as: no ideological guardrails whatsoever.

And we saw how that worked out for Californication.

I guess now the whole nation will get to go that way.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline musiclady

« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2016, 01:23:38 am »
I would not be surprised if there are some radical moves to become liked by most. It is the populist way.

True enough.  Populism, not principle....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo6lPifGnGA
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2016, 01:39:41 am »
Funny thing is that my nephew says quantum physics is his passion but its completely useless outside of academia or engineering on the USS Enterprise. He'll still study it on the side as a hobby.

Much as I did with archaeology (my own passion)... Wasn't any profit in it in the real world.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2016, 02:50:41 am »
Looking at the student population these days, most of them do not belong in college. They are whiny little crybabies with no critical thinking skills who are brainwashed by the leftist professors. They are not getting an education. Not money well spent.
And a lot of those whiny crybabies spent more on partying, buying what would be considered luxury items in the school environment and drinking binges...yeah I know I kind put that twice, but there is a reason, punks is drunks. If these students had to be more responsible up front they wouldn't be in such a hole in the end. And if the government didn't make it so easy for these kids to bury themselves in debt the tuitions at colleges wouldn't be so high.

geronl

« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2016, 02:59:21 am »

Just apply bankruptcy laws to student loans. That would solve two problems.

As long as you get government money and guarantees out of the system

Offline biff

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2016, 03:26:03 am »
If the cupcakes and snowflakes borrow the money to go to school then they should have to repay it in total plus interest. I do not remember anyone holding a gun to their head insisting they take the money or die.

Just as with a house, you buy a 200K house, you pay for it. All of it.

No sympathy from me.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2016, 03:47:26 am »
@Victoria33

@Frank Cannon

Yes, Frank, I came from the generation that had to pay for school at the time with their own money.  My parents paid for my first degree starting when I was 17 yrs. old and I went to college all year long to get it done as fast as possible, then I worked using my first degree to get a teaching job, and kept going to university on weekends and summers to pay for two more degrees.  I worked all my life - there were no "safe" rooms for me.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2016, 04:06:08 am »
@Frank Cannon

Yes, Frank, I came from the generation that had to pay for school at the time with their own money.  My parents paid for my first degree starting when I was 17 yrs. old and I went to college all year long to get it done as fast as possible, then I worked using my first degree to get a teaching job, and kept going to university on weekends and summers to pay for two more degrees.  I worked all my life - there were no "safe" rooms for me.

That's what bugs me about what's going on today. People used to hustle to get a degree. Now they just take out huge loans for their Comparative Romania Basket Weaving degree they don't plan to repay and then wander around complaining why they can't get a $85K starting salary job out of school.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2016, 04:21:04 am »
That's what bugs me about what's going on today. People used to hustle to get a degree. Now they just take out huge loans for their Comparative Romania Basket Weaving degree they don't plan to repay and then wander around complaining why they can't get a $85K starting salary job out of school.

It's not called 'the entitlement mindset' for nothing you know.

They have been groomed and taught that they are owed whatever it is they wish.

"And I will make mere children their princes, and capricious toddlers will rule over them,
And the people will be oppressed, Each one by another, and each one by his neighbor;
The youth will storm against the elder, And the inferior against the honorable….they display their sin like Sodom;
They do not even conceal it.  Woe to them!  For they have brought evil on themselves". - Isaiah 3:4-5, 9

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2016, 04:26:21 am »
“Students should not be asked to pay more on the debt than they can afford,” Trump said.

And students should not be borrowing money that they have no hope of paying back.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Fantom

« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2016, 09:14:07 am »
As long as you get government money and guarantees out of the system

That too.

Government IS the problem.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2016, 06:50:42 pm »
Me too.  Took me about twice as long to get through college as it could have, but I graduated owing exactly $0.00.

It took me twice as long too.  I did three semesters a year for five years while working part time.  I borrowed a grand total of $10k at 2.37% my final semester so that I could go study abroad.  At such a low rate, I spread the payments over seven years.

When Obama took office, the student loan program was federalized.  Students now have but one source for loans (the federal government) and they must pay 6.8%.  If you truly want to fix the problem, then get the federal government the hell out of the loan business.  In fact, a general rule for fixing any problem is to get the federal government the hell out of the way.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-