Author Topic: Sanders: U.S. should "rethink" Electoral College  (Read 2875 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Re: Sanders: U.S. should "rethink" Electoral College
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2016, 06:49:31 pm »

We were discussing that very subject a couple of days ago in terms of Hillary. Moore and Reid love to say, "Hillary won the popular vote!" Well no. Because it was not a popular vote election.

What I mean is different elections cause different behavior in the voting population. In the electoral system, people will say, "Well, my State is always blue/red for the last 50 years, so why should I vote?"

Conversely, if you knew that every single vote counts regardless of what State you are in, as in a popular vote election, then you would have incentive to vote no matter what.

So, saying you won the 'popular vote' in an electoral contest is a canard. It is not relevant. It is like comparing apples to oranges, because there is no way to know what the result may have been if the contest had been a real popular vote election.

Saying that Hillary won the popular vote is a bait and switch. It wasn't that kind of election.
That's a very good point.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2016, 06:56:10 pm »

Yes and Hillary didn't campaign that much in red states either. She even pulled out of Ohio at one point (which I thought was BS at the time, I guess not).

Hillary's whole campaign was anemic and incomprehensible. I don't know what she thought she was doing. Her choices made no sense to me.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2016, 07:47:28 pm »
"This campaign revolved around 15 states of the country, right? Battleground states. My state of Vermont is a strong Democratic state; no one paid attention. Wyoming is a Republican state; nobody paid attention to Wyoming. Is that a good way?"

And you'll get even less attention if you go by popular vote. It will drop to less than a dozen major cities.
The Republic is lost.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2016, 07:48:28 pm »
And you'll get even less attention if you go by popular vote. It will drop to less than a dozen major cities.

Seven!  The exact number is seven.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2016, 07:49:36 pm »

Hillary's whole campaign was anemic and incomprehensible. I don't know what she thought she was doing. Her choices made no sense to me.

She phoned it in because she believed the press, as many of us did. She paid the price though.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2016, 07:55:31 pm »
Seven!  The exact number is seven.

Thanks my man. I knew it was low, but I padded just in case.  :beer:
The Republic is lost.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2016, 07:58:39 pm »
Sanders: U.S. should "rethink" Electoral College

Says the party of "Super Delegates"?   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2016, 07:59:32 pm »

Says the party of "Super Delegates"?

Well played sir, well played.
The Republic is lost.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2016, 08:00:57 pm »
The US should rethink the 17th Amendment.

The 24th amendment has been shown to have been far more dangerous to the life of the nation. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2016, 08:01:26 pm »
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2016, 12:21:41 am »
So how does Sanders feel about those superdelegates his party uses?