Author Topic: GOP President-Elect Donald Trump Says Same-Sex Marriage Is 'Settled' Law  (Read 26173 times)

Oceander

Re: GOP President-Elect Donald Trump Says Same-Sex Marriage Is 'Settled' Law
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2016, 07:01:11 pm »
The constitution doesn't mention marriage therefore leaving it up to the states to decide. I believe Justice Scalia made that exact point in his dissenting opinion.

The Constitution doesn't mention a lot of things.  The Constitution doesn't mention computers; does that mean the Fourth Amendment does not apply to them?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2016, 07:04:42 pm »
That is true.  Now, my question is... how is 2% to 4% of the country get so much power?

The media.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Hoodat

« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2016, 07:09:55 pm »
Utterly hypocritical for you #Never Trumps to scream because Trump cannot do things your political idols, like Reagan and the 2 Bush's, could not do when they were President.

First off Mechanicos, I'm not #NeverTrump.  I'm #NeverLiberal.  And as long as Trump insists on being #NeverConservative, I will remain opposed to him.

Second, the reason Trump cannot do what Reagan did is because he embraces policies that are the ideological opposite of Reagan.  Trump is on record condemning the Reagan tax cuts AFTER their success was proven.  And Trump is on record advocating higher taxes as a way to bring about economic growth.

And this is who you support.  Someone who agrees with 99.9% of the Democrat Party.  Someone who stuck with Walter Mondale's platform 5 years after he suffered the second biggest defeat in US Election history.

Funny how you squealed in hysterics when Obama tried to ignore the rule of law but now demand Trump do the same thing for you.

Rule of law?  Here is the rule of law:

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

So what legislation do we have?  From the Federal side, none (except for a prohibition on polygamy).  And from the State side?  The State of California put a resolution before its citizens to amend its State Constitution in order to define marriage between one man and one woman.  And that resolution overwhelmingly passed.

So the rule of law in California is that the only marriage sanctioned by the State is between one man and one woman.  THAT is settled law.  The Supreme Court ignored the law.  They ignored the Constitution.  They issued an order that was not based upon law, but was instead based purely upon fiat.  So don't lecture me about ignoring the rule of law when it is your candidate who is supporting exactly that.  But hey, that's what Democrats do.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2016, 07:11:04 pm »
Here is a picture of Trump dodging the issue:

Whatever LGBT is, I don't know for sure other than homosexuals. If Trump is to be the President of all Americans, then homosexuals would be included.

Obama and the Democrat party have pandered to homosexuals to the point of putting the so called "rights" of homosexuals above the rights of everyone else. This kind of bias toward the homosexual agenda has to be stopped, right now.

However, I see no reason why homosexuals cannot be recognized and treated with respect. They cannot go into my daughter's bathroom or locker room. They cannot have parades with display open acts of public sodomy. But, and this is important, neither can anyone else.

If homosexuals want 'equality', then they must behave the same way every other citizen behaves. Equality has never meant 'special rights'. It simply means that they will be treated the same as everyone else, as long as they obey the same rules everyone else obeys.

The Liberals and the Democrats cannot understand this simple idea. I think Donald Trump does. He is a no nonsense kind of guy.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 07:11:57 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Oceander

« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2016, 07:13:25 pm »
First off Mechanicos, I'm not #NeverTrump.  I'm #NeverLiberal.  And as long as Trump insists on being #NeverConservative, I will remain opposed to him.

Second, the reason Trump cannot do what Reagan did is because he embraces policies that are the ideological opposite of Reagan.  Trump is on record condemning the Reagan tax cuts AFTER their success was proven.  And Trump is on record advocating higher taxes as a way to bring about economic growth.

And this is who you support.  Someone who agrees with 99.9% of the Democrat Party.  Someone who stuck with Walter Mondale's platform 5 years after he suffered the second biggest defeat in US Election history.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

So what legislation do we have?  From the Federal side, none (except for a prohibition on polygamy).  And from the State side?  The State of California put a resolution before its citizens to amend its State Constitution in order to define marriage between one man and one woman.  And that resolution overwhelmingly passed.

So the rule of law in California is that the only marriage sanctioned by the State is between one man and one woman.  THAT is settled law.  The Supreme Court ignored the law.  They ignored the Constitution.  They issued an order that was not based upon law, but was instead based purely upon fiat.  So don't lecture me about ignoring the rule of law when it is your candidate who is supporting exactly that.  But hey, that's what Democrats do.

That is a very inadequate statement of the state of the law, including the Constitution.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2016, 07:15:29 pm »

Amendment X

He's not Mech.  They may be brothers from another mother, but definitely not the same person.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2016, 07:16:43 pm »
So far he is living up to my post election fears about him, backing away from conservative issues he was for during the campaign as if they were now poison, with the one possible exception the man-made climate skeptic he appointed. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline bilo

« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2016, 07:23:11 pm »
Not if something like a religious conscience act gets passed in Congress.

Evangelicals who gave Trump over 80% of their vote should petition for this.

I think who he appoints the SCOTUS is the payoff. The media is trying to fracture the Pub party and Trump is not taking the bait. If conservative judges are put on the court the pro-life supporters will be happy and the pro traditional marriage supporters will be happy. A great deal of this stuff should go back to the States.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online Hoodat

« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2016, 07:24:32 pm »
The Constitution doesn't mention a lot of things.  The Constitution doesn't mention computers; does that mean the Fourth Amendment does not apply to them?

Don't get me wrong here.  I am not saying that the Federal government does not have the right to regulate marriage (or abortion for that matter).  The fact that Congress placed a prohibition on polygamy affirms that right.

But when Congress does not act, that decision is left up to the States.  And to date, Congress still has not issued such a law on marriage, (or on abortion).  Thus the States set up their own laws.  Texas and Georgia each had laws prohibiting abortion.  California had a law stating that same-sex marriages would not be acknowledged.

So what does Congress do about it?  Nothing.  And by doing nothing, they relegate that decision to the States.

Then along comes the Judicial branch of government.  They see a case come before them.  And instead of ruling on the law, they rule on the outcome.  They issue a judicial order (i.e. legislating from the bench) that prohibits States as well as Congress from legislating marriage (and abortion) laws.  In other words, the rule of law has been circumvented and replaced by the tyranny of five people wearing black robes.

There is NOTHING in the Constitution and NOTHING in written law that supports the Supreme Court's decisions on both same-sex-marriage and Roe.  The very reason we are in this state is because the rule of law has been ignored.  And when Trump says it is 'settled law', he means that the rule of law will be ignored forevermore.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Oceander

« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2016, 07:25:33 pm »
I think who he appoints the SCOTUS is the payoff. The media is trying to fracture the Pub party and Trump is not taking the bait. If conservative judges are put on the court the pro-life supporters will be happy and the pro traditional marriage supporters will be happy. A great deal of this stuff should go back to the States.

You mean a justice nominated by the individual who has already repudiated his campaign promises on marriage and is getting there on abortion?   Good luck with that.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2016, 07:31:42 pm »
So far he is living up to my post election fears about him, backing away from conservative issues he was for during the campaign as if they were now poison

I disagree with that assessment.  Trump supported these liberal positions during the campaign as well.  It was his supporters lying on his behalf that insisted he supported Conservative issues.  Trump claimed that same-sex-marriage was settled law long before the election.  His 'liberal' has been on full display for over a year now, and his supporters know it.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline bilo

« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2016, 07:39:13 pm »
You mean a justice nominated by the individual who has already repudiated his campaign promises on marriage and is getting there on abortion?   Good luck with that.

Don't assume anything at this point. If he appoints good judges and the Senate confirms them all this speculation will have been for nothing. I know Trump is a lifelong NY liberal, with liberal values. However, he does have some conservatives around him and has promised he will appoint pro-life conservatives.

Lets see what he does.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2016, 08:01:31 pm »
I disagree with that assessment.  Trump supported these liberal positions during the campaign as well.  It was his supporters lying on his behalf that insisted he supported Conservative issues.  Trump claimed that same-sex-marriage was settled law long before the election.  His 'liberal' has been on full display for over a year now, and his supporters know it.

True enough. It started almost immediately. When he came out in favor of ethanol subsidies and an even higher renewable fuels mandate they said "Ethanol is king in Iowa so he's just gotta". When he supported sugar subsidies in the south, they said "He's just gotta because sugar is king in the south". When he supported subsidies for wind energy they took a different approach and pretended that they didn't notice.

Offline chae

« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2016, 08:06:12 pm »
He's been all over the board with what he's going to do about Obamacare too
My job involves helping people get signed up through the Marketplace, I'm actually a Certified Application Counsleor, and this year, there are lots of people who are refusing to re-new or enroll because "Trump's gonna get rid of it!"

Offline bilo

« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2016, 08:10:22 pm »
My job involves helping people get signed up through the Marketplace, I'm actually a Certified Application Counsleor, and this year, there are lots of people who are refusing to re-new or enroll because "Trump's gonna get rid of it!"

Great to hear!

My health insurance costs went through the roof until I found a Christian Healthcare Co-op. The sooner that obamacare is done away with the better.

Oceander

« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2016, 08:11:16 pm »
Don't assume anything at this point. If he appoints good judges and the Senate confirms them all this speculation will have been for nothing. I know Trump is a lifelong NY liberal, with liberal values. However, he does have some conservatives around him and has promised he will appoint pro-life conservatives.

Lets see what he does.

He's promised a lot of things that he's already repudiated.  I wager his nominees will be no further right than Chief Justice Roberts. 

Oceander

« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2016, 08:14:42 pm »

They're welcome to sit down with those of us who can no longer afford the pretend obamacare insurance we'll be punished for not buying. 

Don't you ever feel like a drug pusher?  After all, heroin makes people feel pretty good too - like having insurance - until the real cost - the sky high deductible and total lack of doctors who accept the insurance - kicks in.  Heroin's a b*tch, and so is Obamacare. 

Online Hoodat

« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2016, 08:15:06 pm »
Great to hear!

My health insurance costs went through the roof until I found a Christian Healthcare Co-op. The sooner that obamacare is done away with the better.

Too bad the Republicans failed to nominate someone that would make that happen.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Oceander

« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2016, 08:17:04 pm »
Too bad the Republicans failed to nominate someone that would make that happen.

On the other hand he'll probably finish the democrats push to go full single payer.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2016, 08:20:44 pm »
On the other hand he'll probably finish the democrats push to go full single payer.

Probably so since he actually campaigned on that.

In the coming months when people begin to wake up to what a flaming liberal Donald Trump is, people will begin to point out that Trump is doing exactly what he said he will do, and that his supporters have been lying this entire time.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline chae

« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2016, 08:26:38 pm »
@bilo

Don't get too excited according to our CEO that's simply not going to happen.  If you don't have insurance and you're not exempt you're still going to be hit with the penalty.  The majority of people that I deal with are not exactly...the most educated percentage of the population.  They think that when Obamacare is gone that Trump will give them free healthcare. 

Offline chae

« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2016, 08:27:54 pm »
@Oceander

FYI:  I hate the part of my job that requires me to push ACA. 

Oceander

« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2016, 09:23:53 pm »
@Oceander

I'm sorry if I was overly harsh.  It's a little personal. 

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2016, 09:26:13 pm »
@Oceander

Maybe this is heresy, but IMO, there are good things about the law. Is it worth totally scrapping? I don't think so, but if we do, hopefully we put something better in there. Our health care system failed a lot of people truth be told, and maybe all do in many ways I guess.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2016, 09:30:51 pm »

Maybe this is heresy, but IMO, there are good things about the law. Is it worth totally scrapping? I don't think so, but if we do, hopefully we put something better in there. Our health care system failed a lot of people truth be told, and maybe all do in many ways I guess.

Who did it fail that it doesn't now?

And, how does this become a federal government function?