Author Topic: GOP President-Elect Donald Trump Says Same-Sex Marriage Is 'Settled' Law  (Read 26158 times)

Silver Pines

Re: GOP President-Elect Donald Trump Says Same-Sex Marriage Is 'Settled' Law
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2016, 03:26:20 pm »
@CatherineofAragon

You just know that when Trump gets around to gun control Trumpers will be all for it by convincing themselves that it will keep guns out of the hands of nevertrumpers.

@Cripplecreek

Lol, well, you're dangerous, anyway...you and those dogs of yours.   :silly:

Silver Pines

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2016, 03:27:02 pm »
"Forget it...he's rolling."

@Night Hides Not

Belushi gifs are always appropriate, lol.

Offline thackney

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2016, 03:33:06 pm »
I didn't watch Trump's "60 Minutes" interview last night, but according to what I'm seeing on Ben Shapiro's Twitter, there were three takeaways:

Most of Obamacare will be kept
Gay marriage is okay
No prosecution because the Clintons are, quote, good people and he doesn't want to hurt them.

Transcript at:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-donald-trump-family-melania-ivanka-lesley-stahl/

Lesley Stahl: Let me ask you about Obamacare, which you say you’re going to repeal and replace. When you replace it, are you going to make sure that people with pre-conditions are still covered?

Donald Trump: Yes. Because it happens to be one of the strongest assets.

Lesley Stahl: You’re going to keep that?

Donald Trump: Also, with the children living with their parents for an extended period, we’re gonna--

Lesley Stahl: You’re gonna keep that--

Donald Trump: Very much try and keep that. Adds cost, but it’s very much something we’re going to try and keep.

Lesley Stahl: And there’s going to be a period if you repeal it and before you replace it, when millions of people could lose -– no?

Donald Trump: No, we’re going to do it simultaneously. It’ll be just fine. We’re not going to have, like, a two-day period and we’re not going to have a two-year period where there’s nothing. It will be repealed and replaced. And we’ll know. And it’ll be great health care for much less money. So it’ll be better health care, much better, for less money. Not a bad combination.

Lesley Stahl: One of the groups that’s expressing fear are the LGBTQ group. You--

Donald Trump: And yet I mentioned them at the Republican National Convention. And--

Lesley Stahl: You did.

Donald Trump: Everybody said, “That was so great.” I have been, you know, I’ve been-a supporter.

Lesley Stahl: Well, I guess the issue for them is marriage equality. Do you support marriage equality?

Donald Trump: It-- it’s irrelevant because it was already settled. It’s law. It was settled in the Supreme Court. I mean it’s done.

Lesley Stahl: So even if you appoint a judge that--

Donald Trump: It’s done. It-- you have-- these cases have gone to the Supreme Court. They’ve been settled. And, I’m fine with that.

Lesley Stahl: Are you going to ask for a special prosecutor to investigate Hillary Clinton over her emails? And are you, as you had said to her face, going to try and put her in jail?

Donald Trump: Well, I’ll tell you what I’m going to do, I’m going to think about it. Um, I feel that I want to focus on jobs, I want to focus on healthcare, I want to focus on the border and immigration and doing a really great immigration bill. We want to have a great immigration bill. And I want to focus on all of these other things that we’ve been talking about.

Lesley Stahl: You-- you know, you--

Donald Trump: And get the country straightened away.

Lesley Stahl: You called her “crooked Hillary,” said you wanted to get in jail, your people in your audiences kept saying, “Lock em’ up.”

Donald Trump: Yeah. She did--

Lesley Stahl: Do you—

Donald Trump: She did some bad things, I mean she did some bad things--

Lesley Stahl: I know, but a special prosecutor? You think you might…

Donald Trump: I don’t want to hurt them. I don’t want to hurt them. They’re, they’re good people. I don’t want to hurt them. And I will give you a very, very good and definitive answer the next time we do 60 Minutes together.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Silver Pines

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2016, 03:40:28 pm »
@thackney

Thank you for posting those transcript segments.

Folks at TOS are claiming Trump's remark about the Clintons being good people was actually made about someone else; the show fraudulently edited that part to make him look bad. 

We have a GOP House and Senate; there's no excuse for Obamacare not to be repealed.  Let's hope Trump gets in there two months from now and does so at once.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2016, 08:08:37 pm »
It's the position you have to take to get elected in this country these days.

Dare question the homosexual agenda, or even say there is one, and your political career is over. Heck, even your regular career might be over, too.

That is true.  Now, my question is... how is 2% to 4% of the country get so much power?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2016, 08:11:09 pm »
If only there was some warning that Trump wasn't a conservative...

LOL.  If only.  The pleasure I am feeling at the absolute collapse of the dems is slightly diluted by all this stuff Trump is saying.

Could he possibly just shut up?  Just for a day or two? 

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2016, 08:14:54 pm »
That is true.  Now, my question is... how is 2% to 4% of the country get so much power?

96-98% of the country handed it to them in abject fear of being called bad words.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2016, 08:15:02 pm »
In all fairness, as a single person not entirely by choice, I am denied those same equal protections (I'm not going to rehash that discussion again, but I use it to bring up the point). That SHOULD raise serious questions about whether the topic is covered under "equal protection" if it is inaccessible to so many, arguably more than those seeking same-sex marriages.

I really don't care about gay marriage being legal.  I just don't.  It's a small minority of the population and for the few members of that minority who are in a long-time committed relationship,  I think it's okay to make their union legal.  They could accomplish much of the same with various legal documents, such as designation of who controls medical decisions, wills, etc. 

But, hey, marriage is easy.  Any fool can do it and many have.

It's just not something I'd go to the wall on.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2016, 08:17:46 pm »
I really don't care about gay marriage being legal.  I just don't.  It's a small minority of the population and for the few members of that minority who are in a long-time committed relationship,  I think it's okay to make their union legal.  They could accomplish much of the same with various legal documents, such as designation of who controls medical decisions, wills, etc. 

But, hey, marriage is easy.  Any fool can do it and many have.

It's just not something I'd go to the wall on.

The problem is that it's a wedge issue. Most gays could care less about marriage as they are not monogamous. But it destroys institutions and gives power to the left. Thats all this was ever about.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2016, 08:21:14 pm »
The problem is that it's a wedge issue. Most gays could care less about marriage as they are not monogamous. But it destroys institutions and gives power to the left. Thats all this was ever about.

No.  Sorry.  If you call marriage a sacred institution... and I do... far more harm has been done to that sacred institution by selfish people who immediately consider divorce if everything is not perfect.  My marriage would not have lasted so long if I'd expected perfection.

When 50% of marriages end in divorce, don't even try to tell me that a few thousand gay marriages will topple the instituion.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2016, 08:40:59 pm »
No.  Sorry.  If you call marriage a sacred institution... and I do... far more harm has been done to that sacred institution by selfish people who immediately consider divorce if everything is not perfect.  My marriage would not have lasted so long if I'd expected perfection.

When 50% of marriages end in divorce, don't even try to tell me that a few thousand gay marriages will topple the instituion.

I do very much think it is a sacred institution. The issue is that they do not, and use it as a hammer. They use it as a wedge to lessen the authority of the church (using the term 'church' to represent all faiths here). The gay 'marriages' in and of themselves will not. The legal issues surrounding them very well could because as we see already, they are making all manner of legal challenges using their 'marriage' as a springboard to civil rights suits, closing down businesses and having govt encroach on faith.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2016, 08:46:30 pm »
I do very much think it is a sacred institution. The issue is that they do not, and use it as a hammer. They use it as a wedge to lessen the authority of the church (using the term 'church' to represent all faiths here). The gay 'marriages' in and of themselves will not. The legal issues surrounding them very well could because as we see already, they are making all manner of legal challenges using their 'marriage' as a springboard to civil rights suits, closing down businesses and having govt encroach on faith.

I have no seen any evidence of that.  The Gay mafia is already doing that with great success.  The friends I know in that community are decent people who want marital rights because they've lived with their partners and are committed to them. 

I think your fear is overblown about gay marriage.  However, I do think the courts must take down frivolous stuff like suing a baker over a cake, etc.  That should not stand, nor should any other outrageous violation of the rights of others.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2016, 08:55:45 pm »
I have no seen any evidence of that.  The Gay mafia is already doing that with great success.  The friends I know in that community are decent people who want marital rights because they've lived with their partners and are committed to them. 

I think your fear is overblown about gay marriage.  However, I do think the courts must take down frivolous stuff like suing a baker over a cake, etc.  That should not stand, nor should any other outrageous violation of the rights of others.

The cake bakers sued out of business are evidence of that.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2016, 09:02:49 pm »
Head Fake. 

Dodge the question to make it go away.    It will be dealt with once again by future supreme court justices (which he will appoint)   and  it is not useful to have a fight over this issue right now.   

Tell her constituents what they want to hear,   meanwhile let the normal course of investigations and prosecutions grind the Clinton's into dust. 

Trump's M.O.  is  having multiple positions on anything contentious.   

Here's my advice for dealing with Trump.    Pay very little attention to what he says,   just watch what he does.    He is a long term schmoozer and he tells people what he thinks they want to hear right up until he drops a hammer on them.
Look I'm not trying to be argumentative, but isn't your advice a little bit, um, odd? Afterall almost everyone that voted for Trump based it on what he said, not what he has done, because he has never done anything in government to judge him by. So you advice now is completely opposite to what people were told during the campaign when all were told listen to Trump's message here what he promises because those promises would be kept. Now he is elected and we should all just ignore what he says. BRILLIANT ****slapping

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2016, 09:13:09 pm »

That was a tragedy and should not have happened.  But I don't hold gay marriage responsible. 

Let's just agree to disagree on this issue.  I don't think it will have any effect on society or, at least not any more than the radical gay movement has already had.

If Trump just does two things, I will be okay with him.  If he does away with Obamacare and appoints good Supreme Court justices ... he may have a chance to appoint three.

If he does that, I'll give him a pass on some other things.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2016, 09:18:52 pm »

Trump just shrugged his shoulders over the county clerk who went to jail for refusing to give a marriage license to a gay couple (who specifically sought that clerk out)

And for the mewling toads who inevitably say "she shouldn't do that job" lets not forget judges, police officers, prison guards, soldiers and sailors who should be denied certain jobs if they're Christians. However its not just the public sector being told to comply or else.

You mewling toads are aiding the marxist left in purging the Christianity that created America from society.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2016, 09:40:35 pm »
Utterly hypocritical for you #Never Trumps to scream because Trump cannot do things your political idols, like Reagan and the 2 Bush's, could not do when they were President.

Funny how you squealed in hysterics when Obama tried to ignore the rule of law but now demand Trump do the same thing for you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2016, 09:43:46 pm »
LOL yeah you would have thought JimRob would have called Trump a "Liberal Scumbag" or something just a couple years ago.  :silly:

I wonder how they are handling this over at TOS?

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2016, 09:47:48 pm »
Utterly hypocritical for you #Never Trumps to scream because Trump cannot do things your political idols, like Reagan and the 2 Bush's, could not do when they were President.

Funny how you squealed in hysterics when Obama tried to ignore the rule of law but now demand Trump do the same thing for you.

If you want to keep trolling us, I guess you just want to disrespect Trump's call for unity.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2016, 09:49:33 pm »

We're not demanding Trump do shit pal, except uphold his oath of office and follow the limits prescribed on the Executive in the Constitution.

That said - Trump saying homo marriage is 'settled law' is as stupid and dumb as stating that Dredd-Scott was 'settled law' and therefore untouchable, unable to be amended, stricken or removed from precedent.

It also demonstrates he is no more going to stand up for Christians and Christian principles (as he promised) than Obama did.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2016, 09:50:17 pm »
I wonder how they are handling this over at TOS?

They're giving Trump the Oral Bidet treatment.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2016, 10:02:37 pm »

We're not demanding Trump do shit pal, except uphold his oath of office and follow the limits prescribed on the Executive in the Constitution.

That said - Trump saying homo marriage is 'settled law' is as stupid and dumb as stating that Dredd-Scott was 'settled law' and therefore untouchable, unable to be amended, stricken or removed from precedent.

It also demonstrates he is no more going to stand up for Christians and Christian principles (as he promised) than Obama did.

The constitution doesn't mention marriage therefore leaving it up to the states to decide. I believe Justice Scalia made that exact point in his dissenting opinion.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2016, 10:04:26 pm »
The constitution doesn't mention marriage therefore leaving it up to the states to decide. I believe Justice Scalia made that exact point in his dissenting opinion.

This is what he should have said
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2016, 11:00:23 pm »

Which would be the correct interpretation, under the constitution.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2016, 06:57:31 pm »
Typical Trump method of handling contentious issues.    Just Dodge them.

Here is a picture of Trump dodging the issue:
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-