Author Topic: GOP President-Elect Donald Trump Says Same-Sex Marriage Is 'Settled' Law  (Read 26180 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: GOP President-Elect Donald Trump Says Same-Sex Marriage Is 'Settled' Law
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2016, 01:43:22 pm »
Crickets from the die hard Trumpsters...

They'll speak up and convince themselves that Orange Glorious is infallible.

Silver Pines

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2016, 01:51:59 pm »
LOL yeah you would have thought JimRob would have called Trump a "Liberal Scumbag" or something just a couple years ago.  :silly:

@Cripplecreek

Lmao

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2016, 01:52:46 pm »
Civil marriage equality is settled law in the sense that it has been affirmed as consistent with the equal protection clause of the Constitution.
In all fairness, as a single person not entirely by choice, I am denied those same equal protections (I'm not going to rehash that discussion again, but I use it to bring up the point). That SHOULD raise serious questions about whether the topic is covered under "equal protection" if it is inaccessible to so many, arguably more than those seeking same-sex marriages.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2016, 01:56:49 pm »
GOP President-Elect Donald Trump Says Same-Sex Marriage Is 'Settled' Law

Dismissal tactic for the naive.    Appointing conservative judges will cause that issue to be revisited in the fullness of time,  in the meantime he shuts down the Liberal screech machine in regards to this topic. 

Typical Trump method of handling contentious issues.    Just Dodge them.   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Silver Pines

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2016, 01:59:59 pm »
I didn't watch Trump's "60 Minutes" interview last night, but according to what I'm seeing on Ben Shapiro's Twitter, there were three takeaways:

Most of Obamacare will be kept
Gay marriage is okay
No prosecution because the Clintons are, quote, good people and he doesn't want to hurt them.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2016, 02:00:44 pm »
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/gop-president-elect-donald-trump-sex-marriage-settled/story?id=43513067&cid=abcn_fb

Name for me the 3 SC decision Ronald Reagan, or any of the Bush's, overturned as President?

Let face it, this is just today's excuse for the #Never Trumpers to freak out. A President cannot just overturn the law of the land on a whim no matter HOW much you all kick and scream about it.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2016, 02:01:40 pm »
I didn't watch Trump's "60 Minutes" interview last night, but according to what I'm seeing on Ben Shapiro's Twitter, there were three takeaways:

Gay marriage is okay
No prosecution because the Clintons are, quote, good people and he doesn't want to hurt them.

Well both You and Ben, rabid never Trumpers,  are wrong. MIGHT want to actually watch and listen not just repeated your emotional based diatribes.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2016, 02:04:11 pm »
They'll speak up and convince themselves that Orange Glorious is infallible.

For people who are so arrogantly certain of their own moral infallibility, you are some of the most childish mean spirited, unchristian people I have met. Really need to learn the difference between being followers of Christ's teaching as opposed to merely the being rabidly Religious.

You all have more in common with the Pharisees then you do with Christ.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2016, 02:06:58 pm »
It's the position you have to take to get elected in this country these days.

Entertainment media propaganda works. 

Dare question the homosexual agenda, or even say there is one, and your political career is over. Heck, even your regular career might be over, too.

Brandon Eich comes to mind.

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2016, 02:11:26 pm »
Well, technically he is correct, just like slavery was settled law, jim crow was settled law, prohibition was settled law. The thing about our Constitutional Republic is that 'settled law' is subject to change as long as it doesn't violate the Constitution. We have a system in place that updates laws and customs. So, outside a few limitations on the government, nothing is truly 'settled'.
If Bannon is the man I believe him to be, then Donald will get a quick tutorial on judicial review. As long as there are states who assert their sovereignty, then there is no such thing no settled law at the federal level. Of course, there must be a majority of SCOTUS to hear challenges to previous rulings.

Which was more than enough reason for me to vote Trump. 

Sessions for SCOTUS!i

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2016, 02:11:46 pm »

On my list of priorities as to what Trump will deal with, gay marriage is not even on the list. I don't care about gay stuff at all. I don't care what they do as long as they stay away from me and my children. Furthermore, I don't think the gays understand how complicated and devastating 'marriage' can be.

I have seen very successful guys lose everything because they stupidly got married. If the gays want to subject themselves to that system and take that risk them more power to them. I simply do not care.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2016, 02:15:15 pm »

Head Fake. 

Gay marriage is okay

Dodge the question to make it go away.    It will be dealt with once again by future supreme court justices (which he will appoint)   and  it is not useful to have a fight over this issue right now.   

Tell her constituents what they want to hear,   meanwhile let the normal course of investigations and prosecutions grind the Clinton's into dust. 

Trump's M.O.  is  having multiple positions on anything contentious.   

Here's my advice for dealing with Trump.    Pay very little attention to what he says,   just watch what he does.    He is a long term schmoozer and he tells people what he thinks they want to hear right up until he drops a hammer on them. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2016, 02:18:41 pm »
Head Fake. 

Dodge the question to make it go away.    It will be dealt with once again by future supreme court justices (which he will appoint)   and  it is not useful to have a fight over this issue right now.   

Tell her constituents what they want to hear,   meanwhile let the normal course of investigations and prosecutions grind the Clinton's into dust. 

Trump's M.O.  is  having multiple positions on anything contentious.   

Here's my advice for dealing with Trump.    Pay very little attention to what he says,   just watch what he does.    He is a long term schmoozer and he tells people what he thinks they want to hear right up until he drops a hammer on them.

In the fullness of time all will be revealed! I hope you are right while knowing that you are not!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2016, 02:18:59 pm »

Dismissal tactic for the naive.    Appointing conservative judges will cause that issue to be revisited in the fullness of time,  in the meantime he shuts down the Liberal screech machine in regards to this topic.

@DiogenesLamp

How can people possibly be getting wrapped up in this as something substantive??  He appoints the justices.  After that, they're on their own, and free to address whatever issues come before them regardless of what the President says.  This is a complete non-issue, and as you say, is a smart more politically that will reduce opposition to the justices he appoints.

This is just people looking for something about which to complain.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2016, 02:24:45 pm »
On my list of priorities as to what Trump will deal with, gay marriage is not even on the list. I don't care about gay stuff at all. I don't care what they do as long as they stay away from me and my children. Furthermore, I don't think the gays understand how complicated and devastating 'marriage' can be.

I have seen very successful guys lose everything because they stupidly got married. If the gays want to subject themselves to that system and take that risk them more power to them. I simply do not care.

The existence of "Gay Marriage" undermines the social foundation of Western Culture.    It sabotages the belief system underpinning Western society,  and as a consequence affects many other issues beyond "gay marriage."   
— Lord Melbourne —

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2016, 02:26:21 pm »

I said the exact same thing in almost the same words a couple of days ago. Right now Trump is focused on transition and he does not want to say anything that may disrupt that.

He knows that Obama is emotionally attached to Obamacare, so he is telling him that he is going to keep it, just to keep Obama calm for the next couple of months. If he said now that he was going to throw the whole thing out and start over, Obama may shut down, stop cooperating, and disrupt the transition. And there is certainly no reason to get Hillary's supporters even more riled up than they already are.

I agree with all you said. He says what he has to say to get the immediate job done as smoothly as possible. And that is what he is doing. You are spot on. We will not know how he really feels about anything until Jan 20.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2016, 02:28:42 pm »

The existence of "Gay Marriage" undermines the social foundation of Western Culture.    It sabotages the belief system underpinning Western society,  and as a consequence affects many other issues beyond "gay marriage."

I understand that point of view, however I disagree. Two homos getting married does not affect me or my family at all in any way. I understand your point of view, mine just happens to be different than yours.

Silver Pines

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2016, 02:28:55 pm »
Well both You and Ben, rabid never Trumpers,  are wrong. MIGHT want to actually watch and listen not just repeated your emotional based diatribes.

@GAJohnnie

I think I'd rather explore some of your little quirks.  Shall we?

For instance, your dogged determination to lie and mischaracterize.  Just last night, I posted to you that I lost no time congratulating the Trump supporters and stating I would give him a chance to see what he would do.  If it happens to be good, I'll say so.  If it isn't, I'll do the same.  You didn't respond to that, though.  And here you are pushing your little narrative....using the most choice hysterical descriptives to try and illustrate some kind of freak out that never happened.

I've seen it noted elsewhere that some of you seem to be choking with disappointment that we aren't reacting as you hoped to Trump's win.  I find that funny as hell.

Silver Pines

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2016, 02:33:45 pm »
@DiogenesLamp

Head fake?  For what?  He's president-elect now.  He ran on repealing Obamacare; no need to pretend otherwise.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2016, 02:52:26 pm »
@CatherineofAragon

You just know that when Trump gets around to gun control Trumpers will be all for it by convincing themselves that it will keep guns out of the hands of nevertrumpers.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2016, 02:53:47 pm »
@GAJohnnie

I think I'd rather explore some of your little quirks.  Shall we?

For instance, your dogged determination to lie and mischaracterize.  Just last night, I posted to you that I lost no time congratulating the Trump supporters and stating I would give him a chance to see what he would do.  If it happens to be good, I'll say so.  If it isn't, I'll do the same.  You didn't respond to that, though.  And here you are pushing your little narrative....using the most choice hysterical descriptives to try and illustrate some kind of freak out that never happened.

I've seen it noted elsewhere that some of you seem to be choking with disappointment that we aren't reacting as you hoped to Trump's win.  I find that funny as hell.

"Forget it...he's rolling."

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2016, 02:54:18 pm »
@CatherineofAragon

You just know that when Trump gets around to gun control Trumpers will be all for it by convincing themselves that it will keep guns out of the hands of nevertrumpers.

Please, don't give them any ideas.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2016, 03:18:46 pm »

I said the exact same thing in almost the same words a couple of days ago. Right now Trump is focused on transition and he does not want to say anything that may disrupt that.

Great minds think alike.  :)   

I agree with all you said. He says what he has to say to get the immediate job done as smoothly as possible. And that is what he is doing. You are spot on. We will not know how he really feels about anything until Jan 20.

This is what I am thinking.   Even when he does something he knows people aren't going to like,   I expect he will do what he can to verbally soften it.   He's a lot shrewder than many people think. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline LMAO

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2016, 03:20:16 pm »
@CatherineofAragon

I think any thoughts of gun control are now off the table
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2016, 03:22:04 pm »
@DiogenesLamp

Head fake?  For what?  He's president-elect now.  He ran on repealing Obamacare; no need to pretend otherwise.

Not a good idea to stir up Obama right now.   Obama can still make trouble and cause problems.     Once Obama is safely out of office,   we can gut it,   but till then,   let him think whatever is necessary to mollify him.   

Diplomacy:    " The art of saying "nice doggy",   while you look for a rock."   
— Lord Melbourne —