Author Topic: Donald Trump, in Exclusive Interview, Tells Wall Street Journal He Is Willing to Keep Parts of Obama Health Law  (Read 1575 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: WALL STREET JOURNAL

URL: http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-willing-to-keep-parts-of-health-law-1478895339

by Monica Langley and Gerard Baker

NEW YORK—President-elect Donald Trump said that, after conferring with President Barack Obama, he would consider leaving in place certain parts of the Affordable Care Act, an indication of possible compromise after a campaign in which he pledged repeatedly to repeal the 2010 health law.

In his first interview since his election earlier this week, Mr. Trump said one priority was moving “quickly” on the president’s signature health initiative, which he argued has become so unworkable and expensive that “you can’t use it.”

Yet, Mr. Trump also showed a willingness to preserve at least two provisions of the health law after the president asked him to reconsider repealing it during their meeting at the White House on Thursday

Mr. Trump said he favors keeping the prohibition against insurers denying coverage because of patients’ existing conditions, and a provision that allows parents to provide years of additional coverage for children on their insurance policies.

CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline SirLinksALot

Offline Frank Cannon

Mr. Trump said he favors keeping the prohibition against insurers denying coverage because of patients’ existing conditions, and a provision that allows parents to provide years of additional coverage for children on their insurance policies.

He can keep those ideas without Obamacare. The GOP had sensible programs to handle those issues prior to that bill being passed.

Offline SirLinksALot

Republicans’ Common-Sense Reforms Will LOWER HEALTH CARE COSTS

Americans want a step-by-step, common-sense approach to health care reform, not Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s costly, 1,990-page government takeover of our nation’s health care system. Republicans’ alternative solution focuses on lowering health care premiums for families and small businesses, increasing access to affordable, high-quality care, and promoting healthier lifestyles – without adding to the crushing debt Washington has placed on our children and grandchildren. Following are the key elements of Republicans’ alternative plan:

Lowering health care premiums. The GOP plan will lower health care premiums for American families and small businesses, addressing Americans’ number-one priority for health care reform.

Establishing Universal Access Programs to guarantee access to affordable care for those with pre-existing conditions. The GOP plan creates Universal Access Programs that expand and reform high-risk pools and reinsurance programs to guarantee that all Americans, regardless of pre-existing conditions or past illnesses, have access to affordable care – while lowering costs for all Americans.

Ending junk lawsuits. The GOP plan would help end costly junk lawsuits and curb defensive medicine by enacting medical liability reforms modeled after the successful state laws of California and Texas.

Prevents insurers from unjustly cancelling a policy or instituting annual or lifetime spending caps. The GOP plan prohibits an insurer from cancelling a policy unless a person commits fraud or conceals material facts about a health condition. It also prohibits insurance plans from instituting annual or lifetime spending limits.

Encouraging Small Business Health Plans. The GOP plan gives small businesses the power to pool together and offer health care at lower prices, just as corporations and labor unions do.

Encouraging innovative state programs. The GOP plan rewards innovation by providing incentive payments to states that reduce premiums and the number of uninsured.

Allowing Americans to buy insurance across state lines. The GOP plan allows Americans to shop for coverage from coast to coast by allowing Americans living in one state to purchase insurance in another.

Codifying the Hyde Amendment. The GOP plan explicitly prohibits all federal funds, whether they are authorized funds or appropriated funds, from being used to pay for abortion.

Promoting healthier lifestyles. The GOP plan promotes prevention & wellness by giving employers greater flexibility to financially reward employees who adopt healthier lifestyles.

Enhancing Health Savings Accounts (HSAs). The GOP plan creates new incentives to save for future and long-term care needs by allowing qualified participants to use HSAs to pay premiums.

Allowing dependents to remain on their parents’ policies. The GOP plan encourages coverage of young adults on their parents’ insurance through age 25.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Offline r9etb

Yet, Mr. Trump also showed a willingness to preserve at least two provisions of the health law after the president asked him to reconsider repealing it during their meeting at the White House on Thursday

A good move.  These are the two issues about which I've seen much hysteria on social media.

The fundamental problem with Obamacare is that it's straight out of one of Stalin's 5-year plans.  Overwhelming regulation and restrictions and requirements make it utterly impossible for it to achieve its stated goals (though admirably suited to achieving hidden agendas).

Keeping just those two items, sets the stage for changes and deletions to Obamacare so as to focus on policies that maximize individuals' freedom to choose among plans; and to greatly reduce the scope of governmental involvement -- means-tested premium subsidies for, example, that can be applied to a commercial plan of the user's choice.

Offline Rivergirl

The unicorns are coming.

Offline SirLinksALot

A good move.  These are the two issues about which I've seen much hysteria on social media.

The fundamental problem with Obamacare is that it's straight out of one of Stalin's 5-year plans.  Overwhelming regulation and restrictions and requirements make it utterly impossible for it to achieve its stated goals (though admirably suited to achieving hidden agendas).

Keeping just those two items, sets the stage for changes and deletions to Obamacare so as to focus on policies that maximize individuals' freedom to choose among plans; and to greatly reduce the scope of governmental involvement -- means-tested premium subsidies for, example, that can be applied to a commercial plan of the user's choice.

Some things that can be done immediately without having to wait for a replacement bill :

* Grant WAIVERS to all companies from the mandate.

* Kill the "tax" ( yes I'm talking about you John Roberts ) for the individual mandate

* Kill the contraception mandate and free the Christian organizations from having to choose between their faith and government coercion (e.g. the Little Sisters of the Poor ). The controversial contraception mandate, which was challenged before the Supreme Court this year, requires employers to provide their workers with health insurance plans that cover contraceptives and abortion-inducing drugs. GET RID OF IT.

* Repeal the medical device tax, and Cadillac tax

« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 01:23:49 am by SirLinksALot »

Offline roamer_1

The unicorns are coming.

It's gonna be raining skittles in downpours.

Offline roamer_1

* Grant WAIVERS to all companies from the mandate.
* Kill the "tax" ( yes I'm talking about you John Roberts ) for the individual mandate

Not going to happen and still cover pre-existing. This is leaning onto single-payer, watch and see.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

geronl

Just like the Iran deal.

remember he likes the individual mandate

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
The GOP has a general plan for Healthcare in place. The details just needs to be ironed out.

See here: http://www.speaker.gov/sites/speaker.house.gov/files/UploadedFiles/Summary_of_Republican_Alternative_Health_Care_plan.pdf

So it's still government-run and managed health care, but it's "our" side doing it, so it's better?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
So it's still government-run and managed health care, but it's "our" side doing it, so it's better?

Well that's how the most reverent Trump supporters here rationalize all of his other big government ideas so why now on this too.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
It's gonna be raining skittles in downpours.

Looks like we'll have to cut that humble pie into thinner slices to share all around. :silly:

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Not going to happen and still cover pre-existing. This is leaning onto single-payer, watch and see.

Quoted for truth.   There is no way to provide for affordable guaranteed issue insurance (that is, coverage without regard to pre-existing conditions)  without either (I) a device like the individual mandate to get healthy lives into the risk pool , or (II) a single payer system.    I don't want single payer, so I support an individual mandate. 

But not as a penalty for failing to buy expensive ObamaCare policies.   Folks need more choices than those ridiculously pricey plans;  they need no-frills options, with health savings incentives.   Just like with auto insurance - let folks choose the things they want to insure, and the things they can finance from their own pockets.

The structure in place for ObamaCare can be quite easily fixed to address the biggest problems.   Not enough healthy millennials are getting insurance, leading to double-digit premium increases in individual ObamaCare policies.   Well, sure -  the policies are too expensive, and ObamaCare rules essentially force millennials - vulnerable in the workforce as it is - to subsidize their elders.    And meanwhile employers provide most healthy young workers with group coverage,  and jump through regulatory hoops each year to do it.  So the solution's like the nose on one's face -  free employers from the burden of having to maintain health care plans - let them satisfy their mandate by simply giving nontaxable cash to their employees to get individual coverage.

The  flush of young employed lives into the individual insurance market will lower the premium costs for all, and stop in its tracks the ACA death spiral.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 02:58:23 am by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline roamer_1

Quoted for truth.   There is no way to provide for affordable guaranteed issue insurance (that is, coverage without regard to pre-existing conditions)  without either (I) a device like the individual mandate to get healthy lives into the risk pool , or (II) a single payer system.    I don't want single payer, so I support an individual mandate. 

I don't want either.
Mandate anything and you will get monopoly and ever-increasing rates.

But not as a penalty for failing to buy expensive ObamaCare policies.   Folks need more choices than those ridiculously pricey plans;  they need no-frills options, with health savings incentives.   Just like with auto insurance - let folks choose the things they want to insure, and the things they can finance from their own pockets.

Likewise I am opposed to auto insurance. I drive a 2500 dollar POS. If I wreck it, I'll just go buy another. It isn't that I choose to drive a sh*tbox that costs me so much to insure - it is someone else deciding to drive a car that costs more than my house that costs me so much to insure. It isn't MY choices.

And Medical is all the more - The LAST place I would go is to Western Medicine. Yet I have to pay exorbitantly for something I will never, or hardly ever use. I am FORCED to support a system I oppose.

[...] And meanwhile employers provide most healthy young workers with group coverage,  and jump through regulatory hoops each year to do it.  So the solution's like the nose on one's face -  free employers from the burden of having to maintain health care plans - let them satisfy their mandate by simply giving nontaxable cash to their employees to get individual coverage.

First of all, MOST millenials work in places that do not offer insurance - those that did, in large part found themselves without because businesses dropped the ridiculously expensive coverage. Secondly, yet another burden put on employers, literally paying for more crap. Withholdings are balanced out of the equation as far as the employee is conserved - they're just taxes on employment with another name...