Author Topic: What President Trump Means for NASA  (Read 2488 times)

Offline Just_Victor

What President Trump Means for NASA
« on: November 10, 2016, 03:01:59 pm »
http://www.space.com/34677-president-trump-nasa-space-policy.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+spaceheadlines+%28SPACE.com+Headline+Feed%29

By Calla Cofield, Space.com Staff Writer |  November 10, 2016 07:10am ET

What NASA programs will President-elect Donald Trump support, which will he potentially work to eliminate and who will he nominate for NASA's top leadership position? Two space policy reporters offered their insight on these questions.

Brian Berger is editor-in-chief at SpaceNews, a trade publication for the spaceflight industry, and Jeff Foust is a senior writer there. In a webinar on Wednesday (Nov. 9), Berger and Foust discussed how the new presidential administration might impact NASA and other U.S. space-related activities.

"There's going to be a period of uncertainty as the new administration figures out what their priorities are in space, and what NASA programs they might want to continue, which ones they might actually want to accelerate, and which ones they might want to get rid of," Foust said. [50 Years of Presidential Visions for Space Exploration]

Mars or the moon

Foust published an article yesterday (Nov. 9) outlining the information that Trump's campaign has provided about his space plan. Most of that information comes via Robert Walker — former chairman of the U.S. House Science, Space, and Technology Committee and former chairman of the Commission on the Future of the U.S. Aerospace Industry — who was brought in to serve as the campaign's space policy advisor.

According to Foust's article, Walker described the campaign's space plan with four words: visionary, disruptive, coordinating and resilient. Walker then outlined nine key goals of the plan. Some of those goals are "fairly broad," Foust said yesterday, including the declaration that Trump's administration will make a "commitment to global space leadership" for the United States.

It remains to be seen what specific actions the Trump administration will take to accomplish the goals that Walker laid out. Prior to the election, President-elect Trump and his campaign representatives made multiple statements voicing support for partnerships with private companies, including the intention to hand over operations in low Earth-orbit (which would include the operation of the International Space Station) to private industry. Such partnerships are already up and running; SpaceX and Orbital ATK are flying robotic cargo missions to the space station for NASA now, and SpaceX and Boeing are scheduled to begin ferrying American astronauts to and from the orbiting lab in the next year or two.

NASA is committed to its current level of support for the space station through 2024, and agency officials as well as leaders in the spaceflight industry have also voiced support for a plan that would relieve NASA of its financial responsibility to the station after 2024. Those funds could then be put toward NASA's efforts to send humans to more distant space locations.

It seems likely that the Trump administration will put particular emphasis on human space exploration, Berger and Foust agreed. One of the most ambitious goals set out by Walker calls for "human exploration of the solar system by the end of the century." Foust said Walker called this a "stretch goal" intended to "help drive some of the technology that will be needed for human exploration of Mars."

NASA is already working to get humans to the surface of the Red Planet by the first half of the 2030s, as instructed by President Barack Obama. But things may change under President-elect Trump.

more...
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: What President Trump Means for NASA
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 03:08:19 pm »
Well for one NASA will be very busy now developing a rocket so that Cher can move to Venus.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 03:28:01 pm »
Well for one NASA will be very busy now developing a rocket so that Cher can move to Venus.

Does she have to arrive there alive and in one piece?

Offline jpsb

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 03:33:51 pm »
Elon Musk to head NASA, never happen but Musk would be great there.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 03:37:35 pm »
Elon Musk to head NASA, never happen but Musk would be great there.

The only thing Musk really knows about space flight is how to belly-up to the government trough, which is coincidently the only thing he know about the auto industry.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 03:48:13 pm »
I'd like to see more manned exploration. I find it unbelievable that we haven't been back to the moon in more than 40 years.

But....don't think NASA e.g. tax payers can afford a expanded civilian program. I suspect the Chinese are going to force our hand for national security reasons in the next few years.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 03:55:56 pm »
The only thing Musk really knows about space flight is how to belly-up to the government trough, which is coincidently the only thing he know about the auto industry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPGUQySBikQ

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 03:59:16 pm »
I'd like to see more manned exploration. I find it unbelievable that we haven't been back to the moon in more than 40 years.

But....don't think NASA e.g. tax payers can afford a expanded civilian program. I suspect the Chinese are going to force our hand for national security reasons in the next few years.

NASA probably doesn't need a big increase in funding.  I think the budget is ~$18 bil total.  A focused mission would improve things.  Ditch 0bama's Asteroid Return Mission, eliminate earth oriented projects, lease out ISS, and do a few other things to consolidate budgets, and the money for going back to the moon is probably there.  We'll likely need a more $ to establish a permanent presence though.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 04:02:33 pm »

SpaceX has talented people working there, no argument from me on that point.  But Musk isn't creating the GN&C for that launch system.  What Musk did for the company was get the NASA contract for 12 missions to ISS for $1.4 bil and a development contract for the Dragon V2 for $2.6 bil.  Which provided the entire operating capital for the start-up of SpaceX.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 04:03:48 pm by Just_Victor »

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 05:00:18 pm »

Say, I've read that story...   :pondering:
Let it burn.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 05:04:50 pm »

He also tends to burn through engineers at an incredible rate.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 06:01:40 pm »
Does she have to arrive there alive and in one piece?

That I think is not in the specs....... :whistle:

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 06:04:51 pm »
He also tends to burn through engineers at an incredible rate.

Going long hours for middling pay tends to do that. it's not like he's paying in stock options like Gates and Jobs did back in the day to induce their software geeks to work ungodly hours.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 10:36:06 pm »
According this, more robust:

http://www.isn-news.net/2016/11/what-trump-administration-means-for.html

If true, kudos to Trump.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 10:41:25 pm »

Want NASA to not only self fund, but be a net contributor?

Let them patent the stuff they come up with. The royalties on velcro alone would have paid for every space mission since 1970.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 02:07:00 am »
Bookmarking.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online DB

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 02:21:18 am »
I guess this is the end of NASAs Muslim outreach program... Whatever the hell that was...

Going to Mars would be bold. Are there any good solutions to the radiation issues?

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2016, 05:44:27 pm »
I guess this is the end of NASAs Muslim outreach program... Whatever the hell that was...

Going to Mars would be bold. Are there any good solutions to the radiation issues?

Define "good."

Offline r9etb

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 06:32:40 pm »

Does that show the kaboom at the end?  Because if it doesn't, you haven't properly described Elon Musk and his products.  The problem with Musk's companies is that they have a track record of good(ish) ideas and half-assed solutions. 

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 07:01:21 pm »
Does that show the kaboom at the end?  Because if it doesn't, you haven't properly described Elon Musk and his products.  The problem with Musk's companies is that they have a track record of good(ish) ideas and half-assed solutions.

A quick Youtube search of "SpaceX explosion" turns up many hits, and they're not all the same event.  I started to reply to the one video with about five launch failure videos.

Good description of Musk's business ventures though.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 07:01:53 pm by Just_Victor »