Author Topic: Of All Things to Consider, Consider Repealing Public Broadcasting  (Read 16489 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Of All Things to Consider, Consider Repealing Public Broadcasting
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2016, 10:52:13 am »
This is professional columnist quality stuff here! Good job Massadj.

I enjoy NPR on occasion. It goes from good to boring fast though. I prefer college radio, and a little talk radio.

Do you guys listen to Meghan McCain? I like her show even if she gets a little too feminist for me sometimes.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2016, 12:39:14 pm »
PBS is funded by the taxpayers, however you try a convoluted approach to say otherwise.

We cut off the funding for them when we cut off taxpayer groveling to fund the CPB Mother ship.

And no, the FCC is not the same to ABC as CPB is to PBS.

CPB uses taxpayer money to make the programs that get aired on PBS.

The FCC makes nothing that gets aired on ABC.

Bubba is the husband of the witch that got a beat down last Tuesday.

Try a bit harder to read up on things before you throw out insults.

@IsailedawayfromFR

Maybe YOU could try to actually learn how to think for yourself instead of spouting dogma like the Dims you claim to hate? You are one of those "throw out the baby with the bathwater" loons because it's easier to do that than all that hard "thinking stuff".

Careful,or your own dogma is going to chew your ass off.

PBS is necessary as an alternative to corporate news and entertainment. If it is failing to do so in your area,it is the fault of you and your neighbors for not giving them your input through contributions as well as contacting your local and state  politicians.

PBS broadcasts a LOT of educational programming that just isn't seen anywhere else. You don't know this because you are one of those cretins that think you know everything so you don't bother to watch it. Rush Limbo or some other High Priest of Bullshit told you it was bad,so that's all you need to know.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2016, 12:44:04 pm »
The problem is that this isn't a single-headed snake.

Look at the funding info they freely provide, and you see that they get a lot of their funding from licensing content to local stations.  These local stations get their funding from state and local levels, as well as advertising "contributions" and donations from listeners.  A huge chunk is from college/universities.

Cutting federal funding alone would do little.

@Suppressed

The control is at the local and state level. If you and those who live around you don't influence the programming you have no one to blame but yourself.

Almost none of the programming on PBS is political,and what is,is usually balanced. Most of the programming is entertainment or educational.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2016, 12:48:22 pm »
PBS TV tends to be fairly balanced here, a little left leaning, but not worse than normal broadcast TV.
Houston has one of the oldest PBS TV stations in the country.
The Radio station, on the other hand, definitely leans left.
I do not know how much either of them receive in federal funding, but I know that they do get some money.
Both seem to hold an awful lot of fundraisers.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2016, 01:08:02 pm »
@IsailedawayfromFR

Maybe YOU could try to actually learn how to think for yourself instead of spouting dogma like the Dims you claim to hate? You are one of those "throw out the baby with the bathwater" loons because it's easier to do that than all that hard "thinking stuff".

Careful,or your own dogma is going to chew your ass off.

PBS is necessary as an alternative to corporate news and entertainment. If it is failing to do so in your area,it is the fault of you and your neighbors for not giving them your input through contributions as well as contacting your local and state  politicians.

PBS broadcasts a LOT of educational programming that just isn't seen anywhere else. You don't know this because you are one of those cretins that think you know everything so you don't bother to watch it. Rush Limbo or some other High Priest of Bullshit told you it was bad,so that's all you need to know.

Having someone who lies in how funding occurs, then will not admit the lie and instead attack others, is the resume of a liberal.

Why do that?  Try doing something civil for a change.

We taxpayers are paying for PBS.  It makes no difference if it is a good program or if others pay it too.  The attention is on whether taxpayers should be on the hook for it.  I happen to believe no.

You seem to support paying for it with taxpayer dollars, correct?

No more insults, please, as this is a good forum.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2016, 01:12:46 pm »

I do not know how much either of them receive in federal funding, but I know that they do get some money.

Not just some.  CPB budget http://www.cpb.org/aboutcpb/financials/budget
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2016, 01:52:02 pm »
Having someone who lies in how funding occurs, then will not admit the lie and instead attack others, is the resume of a liberal.

Why do that?  Try doing something civil for a change.

We taxpayers are paying for PBS.  It makes no difference if it is a good program or if others pay it too.  The attention is on whether taxpayers should be on the hook for it.  I happen to believe no.

You seem to support paying for it with taxpayer dollars, correct?

No more insults, please, as this is a good forum.

Taxpayer dollars also pay for roads you will never drive on,also. Not to mention fire stations that will never put out a fire in your house,military defense from an attack that will likely never happen,etc,etc,etc.

This is a big country with many varied interests that need to be served. Meeting those varied needs IS the purpose of government.

The federal tax draw from PBS is minuscule,the cost to administer it through the CPB,which IS to PBS what the FCC is to privately owned radio and tv stations.

Almost all the funding comes from contributions from viewers,and some local and state taxes because each station is also administered at the state level. if you really want to control it,contact your local and state authorities about the local and state tax contributions to your state PBS,or get yourself on the board.

(NOTE: THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED BY MODERATOR)

« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 02:05:16 pm by massadvj »

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2016, 02:23:37 pm »

This is a big country with many varied interests that need to be served. Meeting those varied needs IS the purpose of government.

And therein is a big issue.

Our Founding Fathers believed the purpose of government is not serving needs, but instead to protect life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  Most did not believe the government was to provide but for freedom and to get out of the way and let citizens provide for their own needs.

Thomas Jefferson: 

The purpose of government is to maintain a society which secures to every member the inherent and inalienable rights of man, and promotes the safety and happiness of its people. Protecting these rights from violation, therefore, is its primary obligation.

And what the Federal govt should be doing vs state and local governments is another thing.  Most believed the federal government's role should be reduced to a few necessary items such as defense, diplomacy and tariffs to protect indigenous business.

If local PBS wishes to extract government money from taxpayers to broadcast, why not from state or local entities rather than forcing all Americans to pay tribute?

• Technical
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2016, 02:26:04 pm »
Taxpayer dollars also pay for roads you will never drive on,also. Not to mention fire stations that will never put out a fire in your house,military defense from an attack that will likely never happen,etc,etc,etc.

The federal tax draw from PBS is minuscule,the cost to administer it through the CPB,which IS to PBS what the FCC is to privately owned radio and tv stations.

Almost all the funding comes from contributions from viewers,and some local and state taxes because each station is also administered at the state level. if you really want to control it,contact your local and state authorities about the local and state tax contributions to your state PBS,or get yourself on the board.

(NOTE: THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED BY MODERATOR)

Why not run NPR/PBS as a non-profit or cooperative?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2016, 02:36:53 pm »

Why not run NPR/PBS as a non-profit or cooperative?

If it is so good and useful why can it not stand or fail on it's own merits in the marketplace? Why does it need to be propped up with my tax money?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

• Technical
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2016, 02:39:48 pm »
If it is so good and useful why can it not stand or fail on it's own merits in the marketplace? Why does it need to be propped up with my tax money?

Well it's not entirely propped up with tax money, just partially so. I think the government gives matching funds to the CPB.

:shrug:

Both sides are right. I will say that CPB and it's derivatives should give equal weight to all viewpoints at the very least.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2016, 02:41:05 pm »

No, it's not.  YOU meet your own damn needs.  Not me and and not the government.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2016, 02:45:12 pm »

Well it's not entirely propped up with tax money, just partially so. I think the government gives matching funds to the CPB.

:shrug:

Both sides are right. I will say that CPB and it's derivatives should give equal weight to all viewpoints at the very least.

I repeat what I asked in the post you replied to.  They shouldn't need ANY tax money IMHO!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2016, 02:56:58 pm »
I am for them going out and fundraising.
They also get corporate sponsorship.
Let the marketplace decide.
Tax dollars can be spent for the emergency broadcast systems, but I don't find a major need for them to fund other types of broadcasting.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2016, 02:59:21 pm »
And therein is a big issue.

Our Founding Fathers believed the purpose of government is not serving needs, but instead to protect life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  Most did not believe the government was to provide but for freedom and to get out of the way and let citizens provide for their own needs.

I am guessing you would be happy with no roads or bridges,for example?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2016, 03:01:17 pm »

Obviously you haven't read the constitution! If you had you would know that such things ARE addressed therein!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

• Technical
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2016, 03:06:49 pm »

Strawman, dude.

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2016, 03:35:46 pm »

What does that have to do with funding PBS?  It is a non sequitur attempt to explain.

Got any other ideas on how to justify the federal government to extract money from me to pay for some other's pleasures?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2016, 03:50:28 pm »
Obviously you haven't read the constitution! If you had you would know that such things ARE addressed therein!

@Bigun

Can I get a link that directed states the government is required to build and maintain roads and bridges? Seems to me from reading history there were a LOT of privately owned toll bridges and even roads back in the 1800's and earlier.

What about the FAA? You ready to piss and moan about the federal government using tax money to set and maintain aviation safety standards,and to monitor them?

Or the air waves. Are you ready to demand the government stop controlling the airwaves?

Or even the internet. You do understand it was government organizations that spent tax money to develop the internet,build up aviation,and even radio? Want to pull all that stuff to retain your "tax purity"?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 03:51:58 pm by sneakypete »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2016, 03:54:14 pm »
@Bigun

Can I get a link that directed states the government is required to build and maintain roads and bridges? Seems to me from reading history there were a LOT of privately owned toll bridges and even roads back in the 1800's and earlier.

What about the FAA? You ready to piss and moan about the federal government using tax money to set and maintain aviation safety standards,and to monitor them?

Or the air waves. Are you ready to demand the government stop controlling the airwaves?

Or even the internet. You do understand it was government organizations that spent tax money to develop the internet,build up aviation,and even radio? Want to pull all that stuff to retain your "tax purity"?

Do your own research sport!  I will give you a hint however. Start with Article I. Section 8!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2016, 06:39:07 pm »
At the risk of stating the painfully obvious here,

The 1st Amendment guarantees Freedom of the Press, FROM GOVT INTERFERENCE.

Govt funding of the Press is not just interference with it.

It's Govt Ownership of the press.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2016, 08:48:55 pm »
@Suppressed

The control is at the local and state level. If you and those who live around you don't influence the programming you have no one to blame but yourself.

Almost none of the programming on PBS is political,and what is,is usually balanced. Most of the programming is entertainment or educational.

I agree that NPR is far worse than PBS, but that doesn't mean PBS is without its leftwing bias.

Are college/university stations controlled at the state or local level, or by the institution?  A lot of public stations are attached to institutions.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2016, 09:03:55 pm »

goopo

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2016, 11:11:07 pm »

@To-Whose-Benefit?

PBS is the Press? Since when?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 11:16:59 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2016, 11:12:38 pm »

@To-Whose-Benefit?

When did PBS become "the press"?