Author Topic: Be Careful What You Wish For: Okay, GOP. We’ve given you everything. What will you do with it?  (Read 534 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: HOTAIR

URL: http://hotair.com/archives/2016/11/10/okay-gop-weve-given-you-everything-what-will-you-do-with-it/

by: Jazz Shaw

As we waited for the 2016 election to finally be over, I recently went back to look at some of the things I’ve written in years past when arguments arose between the GOP establishment, the Tea Party, the Freedom Caucus, the moderates and the rest of the factions which make up the often fractured Republican coalition. I realize I’ve been accused of being too favorable to the party structure on more than one occasion. I was in no hurry to see John Boehner chased out the door and have been more than willing to give Paul Ryan some room to run. For me it’s always boiled down to setting reasonable expectations.

After the nightmarish outcome of the 2008 election cycle there was already discontent among the conservative faithful, many of whom felt that the GOP just wasn’t fighting back hard enough. My take on it then was that we’d lost not only the White House, but control of both chambers of Congress. What did we expect the Republicans to do? When shutting down the government is your only option there’s only so much progress that can be made. Taking back the House and eventually the Senate gave us considerably more leverage, but even then we couldn’t break a filibuster in the Senate and there was a Democrat in the Oval Office waiting to veto any agreed upon proposals. Options were still limited and when the Speaker and the Senate Majority leader cried poverty in terms of power, I still tended to offer a sympathetic ear, at least to a degree.

Beginning in January the excuses have run out. All three sets of keys have been placed in the hands of the Republicans. It’s true that there is still the question of the sixty vote barrier in the Senate, but as both Allahpundit and I have written already, that can be overcome through a couple of procedural maneuvers if the GOP is willing to accept the risk. Yes, there are questions remaining about the incoming occupant of the Oval Office and how truly committed he may be to the conservative reform promises he made on the campaign trail. I get it. But keep in mind that it’s the legislative branch which writes the bills. Would Trump dare to veto moves from his own party which he promised on the stump for two years? I’m cautiously optimistic that he would not.

I’m not getting my hopes up yet, though. Let’s keep our history in mind and recall what happened the last time the GOP had this much power during the early days of George W. Bush’s tenure. Granted, he only had nine months in office before everything… changed. But there were still disappointments on the domestic front. He went to work with Ted Kennedy on an education package and expanded Medicare extensively in 2003. The deficits were too large with the debt continuing to climb and you can’t blame all of that on funding the war effort. (Actually not even a significant portion of it.) Are we doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past or have we learned something?

The real question seems to be whether a conservative agenda can be put into place, but done in such a way that it won’t result in an immediate backlash to a degree which brings a Democratic wave in response in two or four years.

Conservatives have a harder product to sell than Democrats. Reducing spending generally entails at least some reductions in services and the tightening of belts. People don’t tend to like that, no matter how important it is to the long term health of the nation. Trickle down economics is pretty much an obscene phrase in the minds of many, so just tax cuts and nothing but tax cuts isn’t going to work. These ideas have to be articulated properly and put into motion in a way which produces tangible results people can appreciate. It’s a difficult tightrope to walk. The question is, are Republican leaders up to that task? We’ve been fighting from the cheap seats for so long, do we even remember how to manage the action when we’re back in the director’s chair?

Communicate with your representatives and make it clear what’s expected from Trump from the moment he’s sworn in. There’s a tremendous opportunity awaiting us next year, but there’s also a chasm below our feet which the GOP could easily plunge into if we bungle the hand off.

Offline LMAO

From the article...

"Conservatives have a harder product to sell than Democrats. Reducing spending generally entails at least some reductions in services and the tightening of belts. People don’t tend to like that, no matter how important it is to the long term health of the nation. Trickle down economics is pretty much an obscene phrase in the minds of many, so just tax cuts and nothing but tax cuts isn’t going to work. These ideas have to be articulated properly and put into motion in a way which produces tangible results people can appreciate."

The GOP is going to have to cut spending and eliminate programs. If the debt and deficits continue to rise on their watch, we will see a repeat of what happened after the last time the GOP had it all.

We are also on the path to a debt crisis and continued subpar economic growth. I understand it's easy to be Santa Claus and use the budget for vote buying, but the long term consequences are catastrophic if we continue this path
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 07:16:32 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Night Hides Not

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that Jazz updated a similar column he wrote shortly after the 2014 mid-terms. Ryan and McConnell are no longer the "Leaders of the Opposition". Now, they're going to be held accountable for getting things done, rather than stopping bad legislation.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline skeeter

My guess is the subject of the obama/trump meeting this am was to guarantee trump didn't attempt a little 'fundamental change' of his own.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
GOPers and conservatives are about to find out that it's easier to be against something rather than for something...

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Word seems to be that among those Donaldus Minimus is considering as his attorney general is
Chris Christie. That would be somewhat comparable to hiring Zsa Zsa Gabor as a marriage
counselor.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
The GOP will do what they have shown us they will do:  increase behemoth government and make it sound like they are streamlining and managing Statism better than the Democrats would.

End result is the same.

We've already seen this, or are we all willfully blind of the last two years alone?
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline DB

Word seems to be that among those Donaldus Minimus is considering as his attorney general is
Chris Christie. That would be somewhat comparable to hiring Zsa Zsa Gabor as a marriage
counselor.

The good news, Hillary lost.

The bad news, Trump won.

Offline DB

GOPers and conservatives are about to find out that it's easier to be against something rather than for something...

Trumpcare will be interesting. Now that millions get subsidized health care at the expense of millions of others it would seem unlikely any real change away from government managed care is possible.