Author Topic: Children of the Shrinks  (Read 408 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Children of the Shrinks
« on: November 11, 2016, 06:56:24 pm »
Children of the Shrinks
By Lenore Skenazy
Published Nov. 11, 2016

"In 20 years, they can tell it to their therapist."

That's a line parents hear — and say — a lot.

Most of us somewhat jokingly, somewhat earnestly believe that our kids are keeping track of all the little things we've said and done wrong and will someday divulge these while free-associating on a couch. If only we could be raising our kids with the expert wisdom of the real child experts: psychologists.

Well, a new book should make us all breathe a little easier. "Great Psychologists as Parents," by David Cohen, looks at 10 towering shrinks and child development experts, from Sigmund Freud to Dr. Spock, and finds that their track record is ... mixed. In fact, the British Cohen told me in a phone interview, the shrinks' odds of raising happy, well-adjusted offspring were "not very different" from the rest of ours.

Which makes me feel kind of good....
Read more at http://jewishworldreview.com/1116/skenazy111116.php3#KhisoMlcsmqaHLtJ.99
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Children of the Shrinks
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 02:53:06 pm »
Children of the Shrinks
By Lenore Skenazy
Published Nov. 11, 2016

"In 20 years, they can tell it to their therapist."

That's a line parents hear — and say — a lot.

Most of us somewhat jokingly, somewhat earnestly believe that our kids are keeping track of all the little things we've said and done wrong and will someday divulge these while free-associating on a couch. If only we could be raising our kids with the expert wisdom of the real child experts: psychologists.

Well, a new book should make us all breathe a little easier. "Great Psychologists as Parents," by David Cohen, looks at 10 towering shrinks and child development experts, from Sigmund Freud to Dr. Spock, and finds that their track record is ... mixed. In fact, the British Cohen told me in a phone interview, the shrinks' odds of raising happy, well-adjusted offspring were "not very different" from the rest of ours.

Which makes me feel kind of good....
Read more at http://jewishworldreview.com/1116/skenazy111116.php3#KhisoMlcsmqaHLtJ.99

I don't know how other families work. I know that my parents (although my dad has since passed) are still raising me. As we are still raising our children, and now playing a role in raising our grandchildren. And I mean "raising" as in elevating their ability to be self-determining members of the human race. A source of pride as our kids still seek our advice as people who have wisdom and experience they can trust.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley