Author Topic: Democratic Party in crisis  (Read 4546 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Democratic Party in crisis
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2016, 10:20:44 am »
:silly: :silly:  Bill is almost in tears because he realizes she's going to be around a whole lot more and she's going to be riding her broom for quite awhile after this.  Hillary is obviously ticked off and Kaine looks like he's about as enthusiastic about the future as someone who was just sentenced to life in prison.

I don't see that...regarding Bill.

I think it's simply sadness that all HER dreams, as well as the Party's", just crashed.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2016, 01:14:31 pm »
The GOP now controls:

Congress
President
Majority of State Legislatures
Majority of Governors

The GOP is poised to control the USSC.

Let that sink in for a minute.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2016, 01:20:19 pm »
Had it been a more likable person than Hillary, Trump would have lost.  One of the reasons that Bill and Obama won cause they where likable. She came across as cold and uncaring person.

Agreed.  Hillary didn't run as a moderate like her husband did,  seeking ways to "triangulate" between left and right.   She ran as a hard-core leftist, with a Dem platform that was more extreme than it's ever been.   It's telling that she made no gestures whatsoever to reach out to Republicans disaffected with Trump.   And,  yes, she's cold and vindictive, and offered no sunny contrast to Trump.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Technical
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2016, 01:23:26 pm »
Agreed.  Hillary didn't run as a moderate like her husband did,  seeking ways to "triangulate" between left and right.   She ran as a hard-core leftist, with a Dem platform that was more extreme than it's ever been.   It's telling that she made no gestures whatsoever to reach out to Republicans disaffected with Trump.   And,  yes, she's cold and vindictive, and offered no sunny contrast to Trump.

I was thinking about this today, the person most responsible for the Trump win is Obama. After 2012 he could have gone to the center like Bill did, but he choose to go far left. And that's why people are angry. His agenda was rejected tonight. In 2008 he ran as a moderate. In 2012 he governed as a far left winger.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2016, 01:40:38 pm »
I was thinking about this today, the person most responsible for the Trump win is Obama.
Absolutely. In my neck of the woods, enough Democrat union workers knew that he was to blame for their lost jobs and the destruction of the industries that employed them, and that Hillary was only Obama 2.0 in that respect, so they voted for the non-Obama. In my state, Democrats have at least a 2-1 edge in voter registration. That's 67-33. Trump took my state by roughly that margin, 2-1, so that means a whole heck of a lot of Democrats voted against Obama/Bubbette. Had Obama's second term been more like Bill Clinton's - more moderate, less Marxist and totalitarian - the she-witch would have won.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2016, 02:16:42 pm »
The GOP now controls:
Congress
President
Majority of State Legislatures
Majority of Governors

The GOP is poised to control the USSC.

Let that sink in for a minute.

It would seem, for a "dying party", that the GOP is doing pretty damned well right about now.

After Tuesday's election, Republicans had control of 33 governorships, and at least 66 state legislative houses - at least two-thirds of each. That is stunning. And, make no mistake, it will have significant consequences in the nation's direction.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 02:17:26 pm by andy58-in-nh »
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2016, 02:38:23 pm »
It would seem, for a "dying party", that the GOP is doing pretty damned well right about now.

After Tuesday's election, Republicans had control of 33 governorships, and at least 66 state legislative houses - at least two-thirds of each. That is stunning. And, make no mistake, it will have significant consequences in the nation's direction.

The GOP is. Yes. Is America because of them? No. We will see if that changes.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2016, 02:43:09 pm »

Recent history teaches us things can change dramatically within a two year election cycle.

If the Republicans don't take this opportunity to "get things done", their future prospects are dim indeed.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2016, 02:45:51 pm »
Recent history teaches us things can change dramatically within a two year election cycle.

If the Republicans don't take this opportunity to "get things done", their future prospects are dim indeed.
The congressional election of 2018 could be a bloodbath if the Republicans don't do as you said.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2016, 02:50:18 pm »
Hispanic support is their biggest problem.  We were told that without amnesty, the GOP would be in ruins.

Instead, an Hispanic Marco supported amnesty and killed off his chances of being elected nationally(and almost not reelected), and a guy who vowed to go against amnesty got one-third of the Hispanic vote.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2016, 02:53:33 pm »

I was thinking about this today, the person most responsible for the Trump win is Obama.
I take it a step further back.

The person who led to Obama was George W.  He went against conservative principles that gave us Obama, which now gave us Trump.

Sorta like Ford's non-conservatism that led to Carter that gave us Reagan.

Now if Donald could govern like Ronnie......
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline LMAO

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2016, 03:01:02 pm »
It's now up to Trump and the GOP Congress to make sure the Democratic Party remains in crisis.

However, there are dangers up ahead. One, we are soon due for another recession. Another is our debt.

On the first, they must resist any "too big to fail" responses or a BHO type stimulus. Let it run it's necessary course. If they do that, it'll be short lived and we will come out great on the other side after all the malinvestments made get flushed out.

The second will be tougher. We HAVE to cut spending now. A lot of tough choices will need to be made.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 03:17:45 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2016, 03:12:34 am »
I take it a step further back.

The person who led to Obama was George W.  He went against conservative principles that gave us Obama, which now gave us Trump.

Bush's fault.

Wingnut

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2016, 03:16:26 am »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2016, 01:41:27 pm »

I was thinking about this today, the person most responsible for the Trump win is Obama. After 2012 he could have gone to the center like Bill did, but he choose to go far left. And that's why people are angry. His agenda was rejected tonight. In 2008 he ran as a moderate. In 2012 he governed as a far left winger.

That he did - and much of it extra-Constitutionally.  But IMO the greatest lost opportunity of the Obama years was his failure to heal race relations in this country.   

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2016, 01:51:43 pm »
Unless we lose the Senate in 2018, he can't be Majority Leader. He would have to win the Senate race first and then be nominated as the Minority Leader to replace Reid.

Reid is GONE thank God and the putz from NY taking his place (Chuck Schumer) ain't gonna roll easily!  And besides that the odds that the dems retake the Senate in 18 are astronomical!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2016, 01:53:44 pm »
I recall how after the 2004 election many people at TOS were crowing about "the end of the Dems for decades".
 :whistle:

And, if you look at the big picture, they were mostly correct!  The democrat party is destined to become the 21st century Whig party!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2016, 01:57:09 pm »
And besides that the odds that the dems retake the Senate in 18 are astronomical!

A fact to keep firmly in mind -  this year was our potential Armageddon, with most of the Senate seats up for grabs being held by the GOP since the 2010 anti-Obama wave election.  We dodged that bullet.  But in 2018, fully 25 of the 33 Senate seats will be held by Dems,  and that presents the GOP with a real opportunity to obtain a filibuster-proof majority.   (Of course, thanks to Harry Reid, the precedent's been set for wielding the nuclear option even before 2018.)   

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2016, 02:06:10 pm »
I wouldn't exactly say the GOP is the picture of health and vigor either.

Some 44% of registered voters didn't even vote this time and the democrats who crossed over were attracted to Trump rhetoric that would have made Bernie Sanders proud.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2016, 02:14:23 pm »
I wouldn't exactly say the GOP is the picture of health and vigor either.

Some 44% of registered voters didn't even vote this time and the democrats who crossed over were attracted to Trump rhetoric that would have made Bernie Sanders proud.

That is VERY true! But they are in a position to fix that if they play their cards right over the next two years!  The Dims are in REAL trouble and not just on the national level!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

• Technical
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2016, 02:23:52 pm »
Biggest liability we have is the maniac at the forefront of it all.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2016, 02:32:36 pm »
WE Republicans have reason to be far more optimistic that we have been. I know we look at the changing demographics of the country and the growing immigrant voter blocs and convince ourselves that the Whitehouse will soon be unobtainable. I think the majority of us including myself, thought that would be the case this year.

The last 8 years under Obama proved otherwise, and it is the Democrats facing the crisis, not us.

When things (Hope and Change) don’t go as voters hoped for – bad things happen.

In 2008 WHEN Obama took office Democrats had:
Both Houses of Congress
29 Democrat Governors
27 Democrat State Legislatures.

When Obama leaves Office
Both Houses of Congress controlled by Republicans
17  Democrat Governors
14  Democrat State Legislatures.

A word of warning to the Republicans and Trump. Things can just as easily flip back within 4 years. Do us proud and hit the ground running January 21st and don't look back. 

In the words of Benjamin Franklin, the Republicans have been handed “A Republic If They Can Keep It”.   They have just shy of a 2- year mandate with control of both houses, the Presidency, and with a decent choice for the open SCOTUS position, the Supreme Court as well.   Trump doesn’t have to complete every campaign promise, but the people need to see  positive changes are happening with the economy. America once again has to be respected and be feared as a World Power on the world stage. The people need to see huge strides against global and domestic terrorism, and the end of ISIS. And first and foremost the dismantling and replacement of Obamacare and hear tell Ben Carson may be appointed to lead that. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 02:34:59 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2016, 02:40:08 pm »
The congressional election of 2018 could be a bloodbath if the Republicans don't do as you said.

It will be tough for the Rats in '18 regardless. Look at the Senate seats up. They are going into that way behind in an off year election where they have trouble with their base.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2016, 02:56:40 pm »
We have gone from Rev. Wright to alt/right.
Primaries have consequences and we fell short.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2016, 02:58:25 pm »
Biggest liability we have is the maniac at the forefront of it all.

No argument from me there but let's give him a chance!

- J. R. R. Tolkien