State Chapters > State Politics/Government

GOP wins majorities in Iowa House, Senate; Gronstal defeated

(1/1)

Free Vulcan:
Republicans won control of the Iowa Senate late Tuesday night while ousting Senate Majority Leader Michael Gronstal, a powerful Council Bluffs Democrat who has often been at odds with Republican Gov. Terry Branstad.

Republican defeated at least six Democratic incumbents in the Senate, which gives the party at least 29 seats. No incumbent Republicans in the Senate appeared in danger of defeat. Twenty-six seats are needed in the Senate for a constitutional majority required to pass legislation.

“Serving the people of Council Bluffs and Carter Lake in the Iowa Senate has been the greatest honor of my life," Gronstal said in a statement. "The opportunity to do good, to make a difference in my community, has been incredibly rewarding. I want to thank everyone who has supported me over the years, and all that helped me be successful in the Senate. To you all, I will always be grateful.”

Republicans picked up two seats in the Iowa House, giving them 59-41 edge over Democrats...

Read more at: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2016/11/09/gop-wins-majorities-iowa-house-senate-gronstal-defeated/93087764/

-----

We not only flipped the Iowa Senate and control the Gov and both houses, Senate Majority Leader Mike Gronstal lost his race tonite. He was the Iowa equivalent of Harry Reid, stalling and obstructing nearly every piece of legislation out of the state House. It's a great night for Iowa.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version