Author Topic: Must see places to visit (Bucket List)  (Read 5459 times)

Offline mirraflake

Re: Must see places to visit (Bucket List)
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2016, 03:07:18 pm »
@mirraflake

Well, they probably didn't have the fireplaces burning, right?

I can't remember,  probably not. I just remember the bone chilling cold.

@bolobaby
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 03:07:53 pm by mirraflake »

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2016, 08:59:09 pm »
I drove out to Gettysburg after attending a meeting in Harrisburg a few years back. Arrived early and in a thick fog, and consequently was the only person at the 'Angle' when the fog lifted. Might have been the only visitor on the immediate battlefield.

Indescribable, other than to say it was an awesome feeling. So many lives ended right on that spot and with the utmost violence.

I like to stand at the Virginia monument and read this passage...

For every Southern boy fourteen years old, not once but whenever he wants it, there is the instant when it's still not yet two o'clock on that July afternoon in 1863, the brigades are in position behind the rail fence, the guns are laid and ready in the woods and the furled flags are already loosened to break out and Pickett himself with his long oiled ringlets and his hat in one hand probably and his sword in the other looking up the hill waiting for Longstreet to give the word and it's all in the balance, it hasn't happened yet, it hasn't even begun yet, it not only hasn't begun yet but there is still time for it not to begin against that position and those circumstances which made more men than Garnett and Kemper and Armistead and Wilcox look grave yet it's going to begin, we all know that, we have come too far with too much at stake and that moment doesn't need even a fourteen-year-old boy to think This time. Maybe this time with all this much to lose than all this much to gain: Pennsylvania, Maryland, the world, the golden dome of Washington itself to crown with desperate and unbelievable victory the desperate gamble, the cast made two years ago.

— William Faulkner, Intruder in the Dust
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2016, 08:59:38 pm »
Absolutely. Be sure to visit Anker's Auto Service 1907 Van Vranken Ave.

They supposedly have the coldest Coke vending machine in that part of NY.

Ooookay!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2016, 11:05:42 am »
I've skied in Filzmoos, Austria, Canaan Valley, W.Va. and Vail. That's not really my sport, though, and the old back isn't up to it anymore. My only bucket list sports-related item might be playing a round of golf at the Greenbrier, but since it's owned by Dem hack and gubernatorial candidate Jim Justice, I may change it to another grand old course.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2016, 03:49:47 am »
Absolutely. Be sure to visit Anker's Auto Service 1907 Van Vranken Ave.

They supposedly have the coldest Coke vending machine in that part of NY.

@Frank Cannon

Thanks for the tip!

It was a bit chilly for the Coke, but the TARDIS-blue made it all worthwhile!

+++++++++

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2016, 03:52:36 am »
@Frank Cannon

Thanks for the tip!

It was a bit chilly for the Coke, but the TARDIS-blue made it all worthwhile!

LOL. Hilarious. Well, at least I helped you have a complete experience up there.